Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

BBC to axe Grange Hill

Comments

• i was a extra in it from 87 to 88,sad news
  • ha ha did you just say NO
  • my brother boxed lee mcdonald sadly zammo said yes as he won!
  • Oooh. I hope they put some American cartoon on instead...we need more of those.
  • that used to be my nickname when i was younger (zammo) as i had the candy flip haircut
  • It started the day I started Secondary school - God I'm showing my age.

Right then what era were you?

For me it was Tucker, Benny, Alan and Trisha Yates. Geoff "Bullet" Baxter the psychotic PE teacher (Weren't they all?)
  • edited February 2008
    Definitely a shame! Watched it from a very young age & enjoyed it for the most part. Sadly went a bit stale over time, but overall, I think that the drop in standard of young actors/actresses over the last 10-15 years, contributed to the 'realism' of the show being somewhat underwhelming, & ultimately, its demise.

Joke reason for thinking it lost its way: When they changed the credits & the original theme tune! :-) (though there is an element of truth in that too)

I remember that they always pushed (what they termed) 'gritty' storylines. The above mentioned Zamo, & his dabbling in the darker side of life, the death of Danny Kendall in Mr Bronsons car, amongst many many others.

Nowadays, if the producers wanted to depict a gritty indictment of the current state of secondary schools, & what really happens, they would have to put it on after the watershed!

R.I.P. Grange Hill - Some absolutely brilliant moments, great British acting(70's-late 80's/very early 90's) & amazingly memorable characters.

Soon to be replaced I'm sure, with some shitey, Hollyoaks-esque dross, with loads of H from Steps & mediocre girl band member, lookalikes!
  • edited February 2008
    [cite]Posted By: Stefco[/cite]

Nowadays, if the producers wanted to depict a gritty indictment of the current state of secondary schools, & what really happens, they would have to put it on after the watershed!

This is basically what the actor who played Zammo cited as the main reason it's been axed.
    A sad indictment on society today.
  • Always an enjoyable show I thought, shame to see it go. Does anyone else remember the theme tune being nicked and used on ITV's give us a clue?
    Might Dig the theme out and give it an airing on Charlton Plus this Sunday. Nostalgia eh!!
  • Yes, that was odd, Chicken Man was the name of the theme.

I met Mark Savage (Gripper) at a Rockabilly weekender about 25 years ago, and we have been mates ever since. Good lad is Mark.
  • Sponsored links:

• bit of a bully at grange hill though.
  • Nasty piece of work. Mark's a lovely guy though, and he's only about five foot four, but he can look after himself when he needs to.
  • most rockers can !
  • Anyone remember the picture of Killer on teh wall in one of the class rooms
  • Grange Hill creator Sir Phil Redmond has announced his long-running BBC TV school drama series is returning as a film, which will reflect the realities of the modern-day classroom.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-59907925
  • whatever happened to @BlackForestReds .. anyone know .. he was a good pundit
    Last active 2013 !!!
    Last active 2013 !!!
    I saw that .. hope it's not a R I P job
    Last active 2013 !!!
    I saw that .. hope it's not a R I P job
    Unfortunately I always fear the worst when long term posters just stop visiting with no indication in their last few posts that it might lead to them doing so. I hope he is ok. 
  • Sponsored links:

• clive said:
    Grange Hill creator Sir Phil Redmond has announced his long-running BBC TV school drama series is returning as a film, which will reflect the realities of the modern-day classroom.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-59907925
    Hope it’s got subtitles if they’re wearing masks
    Last seen disappearing in to a giant gateau in south west Germany.