Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Kent Cricket 2022

With news of a returning overseas player, what better reason to start a new thread for next season.

Matt Henry will be available for the final seven County Championship matches and the Royal London although as I've not seen the fixture list I would have thought that he might be involved in that competition we'd rather not talk about!

https://www.kentcricket.co.uk/news/matt-henry-set-to-return-for-second-half-of-2022-season/

Comments

• Excellent news. 
  • Fair enough, time to start a new thread  :D
  • Great stuff ! 
  • Outstanding. Big fan of Matt
  • That is very good news 
  • Fred Klaassen has signed a contract extension through to the end of the 2024 season. Good news for white ball games in particular
  • Fred Klaassen has signed a contract extension through to the end of the 2024 season. Good news for white ball games in particular
    An important part of the seam bowling attack, giving the left arm option.
  • He has shown notable improvement over his first season where I thought he would struggle to secure a new contract. He has certainly developed his skills, his bowling disciplines and ability to take wickets. Good job Fred. 
  • All really is not well at Sussex. Ben Brown has now asked to be released from his contract which Sussex have, reluctantly, agreed to.

In the last three years Sussex have, effectively, now lost, either because they've left or because of limited availability due to international calls, the following:

Luke Wells (Lancs)
    Phil Salt (Lancs)
    Laurie Evans (Surrey)
    Ben Brown (????)
    Michael Burgess (Warwickshire)
    Reece Topley (Surrey)
    Chris Jordan (Surrey)
    Ollie Robinson (England)
    Danny Briggs (Warwickshire)
    Jofra Archer (England)
    Stuart Meaker (Retired) 
    Mitch Claydon (Retired)
    Harry Finch (Released) 

Little wonder the Sussex members aren't too happy at the moment!

• Sponsored links:

• edited December 2021
    All really is not well at Sussex. Ben Brown has now asked to be released from his contract which Sussex have, reluctantly, agreed to.

In the last three years Sussex have, effectively, now lost, either because they've left or because of limited availability due to international calls, the following:

Luke Wells (Lancs)
    Phil Salt (Lancs)
    Laurie Evans (Surrey)
    Ben Brown (Hampshire)
    Reece Topley (Surrey)
    Chris Jordan (Surrey)
    Ollie Robinson (England)
    Jofra Archer (England)
    Stuart Meaker (Retired) 
    Mitch Claydon (Retired)
    Harry Finch (Released) 

There is a split in the Sussex membership, to be fair - those who think the youth coming through are incredibly promising and those lamenting the loss of so many players. The team, comprised of the players above, only came 4th/5th in Division Two of the County Championship and were hugely underachieving. Losing Archer, Robinson and Jordan has been a massive loss. Archer was expected, but Robinson much less so. Jordan seems to have been absent for the last 2-3 years with IPL, England call-ups and injury. Of the rest, I have mixed feelings. Wells had two disastrous seasons before heading to Lancashire and Finch had an even worse season. Topley came to Sussex to get fit and then took his chance with Surrey; good riddance, in my view. As for Phil Salt and Laurie Evans, they are massive losses for the T20 side. Salt was never a County Championship opener, but would have been a good number 5 or 6. Evans never scores a run in CC, which has also been true at Surrey. Briggs was a steady bowler in all formats, although the 21-year-old, Jack Carson, had more success in CC than Briggs. Meaker and Claydon were bad signings and Burgess was a useful player in any format without being outstanding. I would argue losing Ben Brown is the greatest loss. He is a very decent county cricketer.  The young lads who are between 16-20 are going to be good. If they are not picked off by Surrey, Sussex will be a strong team in three years. Look out for Ali Orr (20), Jamie Atkins (19), Oli Carter (20), Henry Crocombe (20), Dan Ibrahim (17), Archie Lenham (17) plus veteran Tom Haines, who might attract England's attention this year, aged 22. I see the T20 side weakened, but the CC side getting stronger in the next year or two.
  • All really is not well at Sussex. Ben Brown has now asked to be released from his contract which Sussex have, reluctantly, agreed to.

Luke Wells (Lancs)
    Phil Salt (Lancs)
    Laurie Evans (Surrey)
    Ben Brown (Hampshire)
    Reece Topley (Surrey)
    Chris Jordan (Surrey)
    Ollie Robinson (England)
    Jofra Archer (England)
    Stuart Meaker (Retired) 
    Mitch Claydon (Retired)
    Harry Finch (Released) 

There is a split in the Sussex membership, to be fair - those who think the youth coming through are incredibly promising and those lamenting the loss of so many players. The team, comprised of the players above, only came 4th/5th in Division Two of the County Championship and were hugely underachieving. Losing Archer, Robinson and Jordan has been a massive loss. Archer was expected, but Robinson much less so. Jordan seems to have been absent for the last 2-3 years with IPL, England call-ups and injury. Of the rest, I have mixed feelings. Wells had two disastrous seasons before heading to Lancashire and Finch had an even worse season. Topley came to Sussex to get fit and then took his chance with Surrey; good riddance, in my view. As for Phil Salt and Laurie Evans, they are massive losses for the T20 side. Salt was never a County Championship opener, but would have been a good number 5 or 6. Evans never scores a run in CC, which has also been true at Surrey. Briggs was a steady bowler in all formats, although the 21-year-old, Jack Carson, had more success in CC than Briggs. Meaker and Claydon were bad signings and Burgess was a useful player in any format without being outstanding. I would argue losing Ben Brown is the greatest loss. He is a very decent county cricketer.  The young lads who are between 16-20 are going to be good. If they are not picked off by Surrey, Sussex will be a strong team in three years. Look out for Ali Orr (20), Jamie Atkins (19), Oli Carter (20), Henry Crocombe (20), Dan Ibrahim (17), Archie Lenham (17) plus veteran Tom Haines, who might attract England's attention this year, aged 22. I see the T20 side weakened, but the CC side getting stronger in the next year or two.
    An extremely fair assessment of the position at Sussex. It is interesting that despite all those very good youngsters coming through, they parted ways with their Head of the Academy who I believe was also the major driver of the current set up
  • Mohammad Rizwan signs for Sussex until mid-July (sorry to clutter the Kent thread). He's half decent and, if he holds a UK driving licence, he will be useful to drive home the players that are too young to drive.
  • A great track record as a captain and player over the Bridge, and in red ball cricket too, whereas Yardy for me was more of a white ball player

Slightly weird to have a former Essex player succeeding a former Sussex player though!
  • That is a good appointment at first glance. Knows the county game inside out.
  • A great track record as a captain and player over the Bridge, and in red ball cricket too, whereas Yardy for me was more of a white ball player

Slightly weird to have a former Essex player succeeding a former Sussex player though!
    Yardy was, at least, born in Kent.

I am struggling to think of a former Kent batsman who has retired in recent times (it has to be someone who has played white ball) and who would fit the bill. Adam Rouse has his own business. Adam Ball would qualify - he currently coaches a Kent age group but that is in addition to his daytime job and working for Kent full time probably wouldn't compensate for that.

There are two potential candidates who might surface in time. One is Alex Blake. The other is Calum MacLeod who is settled in Kent. Both are very good coaches.  

I am struggling to think of a former Kent batsman who has retired in recent times (it has to be someone who has played white ball) and who would fit the bill. Adam Rouse has his own business. Adam Ball would qualify - he currently coaches a Kent age group but that is in addition to his daytime job and working for Kent full time probably wouldn't compensate for that.

There are two potential candidates who might surface in time. One is Alex Blake. The other is Calum MacLeod who is settled in Kent. Both are very good coaches.  
    I've no idea whether he wants to get into coaching, but Joe Denly you imagine will retire when his contract runs out at the end of 2023. Unless he fancies doing a Stevo

Talking of which, would Stevo want to go into coaching when he retires?
  • https://www.kentcricket.co.uk/news/chris-cowdrey-to-be-club-president-in-2023/

Chris Cowdrey to be club president in 2023

Maybe I should have opened a Kent Cricket 2023 thread to post this  :D
  • Sponsored links:

• https://www.kentcricket.co.uk/news/chris-cowdrey-to-be-club-president-in-2023/

Chris Cowdrey to be club president in 2023

Maybe I should have opened a Kent Cricket 2023 thread to post this  :D
    Delighted with this.
    Love him 😎
  • Eh, think c cowdrey is a bit of a nob, was once “coached” by him - which mostly consisted of him soothing the ego of Fabian.

maybe I’m holding a grudge for a bit too long, mind. 

I've no idea whether he wants to get into coaching, but Joe Denly you imagine will retire when his contract runs out at the end of 2023. Unless he fancies doing a Stevo

Talking of which, would Stevo want to go into coaching when he retires?
    A lot of players start to coach before their career ends. I am not aware that Denly does much of that. Stevens does do some but I am not convinced that it is likely to be a vocation. In any event, when you're still playing at 65 there really isn't much time left to switch careers!
    Was a laugh out loud moment when Atherton said something about Stevens coaching him way back, now Stevens still playing long after him!
  • https://www.kentcricket.co.uk/news/supporters-club-help-finance-singhs-aussie-experience/

Article about Jas Singh at the DLCA. Seb gets a mention too even if the author didn't get his name right!
    'Scoop' wrote the article by the look of it.
  • https://www.kentcricket.co.uk/news/supporters-club-help-finance-singhs-aussie-experience/

Article about Jas Singh at the DLCA. Seb gets a mention too even if the author didn't get his name right!
    I was going to highlight the same article but the surname confused me. I would ask for a correction. That way he gets mentioned twice!
  • "Kent Cricket Supporters Club chairman, Terry Hall"

During lockdown, did he sing about the Spitfire Ground becoming like a Ghost Town?
  • "Kent Cricket Supporters Club chairman, Terry Hall"

During lockdown, did he sing about the Spitfire Ground becoming like a Ghost Town?
    As long as he didn't belt out "Too Much, Too Young" to Lord Stevo ...