Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

More Controlled Parking Restrictions for Charlton

Greenwich Council are finalising plans to increase parking revenues by extending the Residents Controlled Parking zone across Charlton. Those of you who have parked on the east side of the Valley (Charlton Lane and towards Maryon Park) for years will find that option removed in due course. Yellow lines will become double yellows and they are threatening Pay-to-Park spaces in order to reduce spaces for permit paying residents. All part of the ongoing war on motorists in south-east London by the car-hating cabal that run the Council.

Royal Borough of Greenwich - Consultations (royalgreenwich.gov.uk)

Comments

• Good news for the residents there though.
  • edited November 2021
    Just park at the ground.
    it’s only £36 a pop.
  • It ain't just about the football.

As I read it, it's saying they're planning on increasing the yellow and double yellow lines, meaning residents won't be able to park where they used to. Could be wrong, but thought that was the OP's point?
  • iainment said:
    Good news for the residents there though.
    If they have off-street parking otherwise,I suspect, like elsewhere in London they will have to pay for the privilege of parking outside or as close as they can to their house, Occasional football parking isn’t the target of this exercise 
  • Never understand why parking at the curry’s/Pc World had never been denied idea used/extended to football fans!?

masses of car parking spaces unused (and even a lower section completely empty) surely would be gobbled up even at £5 a pop
  • sammy391 said:
    Never understand why parking at the curry’s/Pc World had never been denied idea used/extended to football fans!?

masses of car parking spaces unused (and even a lower section completely empty) surely would be gobbled up even at £5 a pop
    It used to be filled with fans but restrictions were put in for the Olympics in 2012, and I guess they've remained in place ever since.
  • Guess the likes of Currys equally dont want to risk losing business because genuine customers are unable to park there - Thanks to non-Customers using the car park and going elsewhere.
  • Sponsored links:

• iainment said:
    If they have off-street parking otherwise,I suspect, like elsewhere in London they will have to pay for the privilege of parking outside or as close as they can to their house, Occasional football parking isn’t the target of this exercise 
    Well that is of course true…..however the net result will impact on crowd attendances, though by how much is anyone’s guess.
  • iainment said:
    Certainly not all of them.   That area is quite popular for Paramedic and allied healthcare students who, as they are forced to run a car on a student loan in order to get to placement shifts 24/7 all over the region, specifically look for free residents parking when renting.   Surely there will be other residents whose travel budget has just been slapped with a permit cost?  Not many places with off street parking round there - or are you deliberately making a contrary statement? 
  • edited November 2021
    sammy391 said:
    Never understand why parking at the curry’s/Pc World had never been denied idea used/extended to football fans!?

The same can be said for Makros, their carpark is enormous. 
    I have never seen it anywhere near full even on match days and meet ups for CL vengeance bouts.
    Could they not be encouraged to cone off a certain amount on match days and charge £5 a pop…..they’d clean up.
  • edited November 2021
  • Contact/discuss with local schools re using their playground areas on matchdays ? 
    Yes, I have seen this done at several away grounds over the years.
    Nice little and much needed earner for the school of course.
    Didn’t Fossdene Primary School used to do this some years back….I think they did?
    No doubt some OTT legislation is in place nowadays to prevent this logical and sensible idea.
  • Sponsored links:

• Parking is the biggest pain in the arse for me now getting to games, I've got no problem paying to park somewhere especially if its somewhere I won't get my car broken into or stolen, just add it to the ULEZ charge ive got to pay as well for driving a mile inside the south circular 

I've considered paying to park at the ground but thats more than a fucking match ticket on top of the ULEZ 
  • iainment said:
    The football club has been there a lot longer than they have.
    Buy a house near a football stadium and then get annoyed when, surprise surprise, people come there who want to park.
    It’s like buying a house near an airport then complaining about the noise afterwards……idiots! 🤨
    I don’t think this is anything to do with that though. The Council is initiating the change not the residents.
  • You can prebook to park at Asda for £5
  • sammy391 said:

The same can be said for Makros, their carpark is enormous. 
    I have never seen it anywhere near full even on match days and meet ups for CL vengeance bouts.
    Could they not be encouraged to cone off a certain amount on match days and charge £5 a pop…..they’d clean up.
    Room required for sorting out CL arguments.
  • Perhaps CAST could speak to the local retailers to see if they can make secure parking areas available for fans for 3/4 hours on a match day for a small fee.

Even if its only 5 of them with 150 available slots each and a couple of attendants they will more than cover their costs.
  • Or fans could get to the Valley by public transport, cycling or walking. All of which I do from time to time.
  • iainment said:
    Or fans could get to the Valley by public transport, cycling or walking. All of which I do from time to time.
    Well jolly hockey sticks for you. 

I live less than 5 min walk from my mainline station but unfortunately its not on the Charlton line. It takes 3 changes to get to Charlton station for a cost of £10. 

Too far to walk
  • iainment said:
    Or fans could get to the Valley by public transport, cycling or walking. All of which I do from time to time.
    Of course they can.
    A 50 minute train journey though Saturday took me 2hrs 15 minutes.
  • Another reason to watch the games online then