Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Shrewsbury away

So, I am taking the plunge and going to this game - generally I restrict myself to nearer away games - I’m going by train - any tips for getting to the ground from the station ? Is it walkable ?

Comments

• 20 minute walk from memory
  • 20 minute walk from memory
    35/40 minutes 
  • Very long walk, buses run from bus station [Located 5 mins from rail station] to the stadium, return buses depart stadium about ten minutes after final whistle.

https://www.shrewsburytown.com/siteassets/documents/2122/travel-plan/travelplan2021-master_a5.pdf
  • It’s a long walk but has pubs along the way to break it up. I've found them to be away friendly both on both my visits.

Spare some time for the town centre near the centre which is a bit like a Canterbury, Lincoln type place. 

Once you’re over the river and past The Crown (good riverside pub) the surroundings get greyer. So I’d get a cab from there, that’ll save about 1.5 miles of walking.
  • Thanks all - the walk doesn’t look to daunting (well for me) - any pointers as to which pubs I am likely to find fellow Addicks in pre-match ?
  • Thanks all - the walk doesn’t look to daunting (well for me) - any pointers as to which pubs I am likely to find fellow Addicks in pre-match ?
    Absolutely unbelievable, not only you are after advice about getting to the ground, you’re also  after a free pint! 😂 
    Absolutely unbelievable, not only you are after advice about getting to the ground, you’re also  after a free pint! 😂 
    He who dares Rodney, he who dares 😉
  • Drove last time I went to Shrewsbury. Do they put enough buses on for everyone, or like MIlton Keynes when just one bus and if you can’t get on unlucky and have to walk back? 
    I found the walk fine. Checking the football ground guide it's 2 miles, but pleasant enough from memory.

The centre of Shrewsbury is really nice. Very historic
  • So, I am taking the plunge and going to this game - generally I restrict myself to nearer away games - I’m going by train - any tips for getting to the ground from the station ? Is it walkable ?
    Get the bus or a cab from the town centre 
  • Sponsored links:

• MrWalker said:

If on the train, you could pull the emergency chord just as it passes the ground, down the embankment over the fence and you are there.
    Fine might be cheaper than the taxi?
    With your username, I'd have thought you'd prefer a stroll!
  • MrWalker said:

If on the train, you could pull the emergency chord just as it passes the ground, down the embankment over the fence and you are there.
    That was the old ground (where the groundsman had a coracle to retrieve balls that went in the river) 
  • It’s a long walk but very pleasant before play off defeat as was summer and the ground is out in the countryside … well it was until they slapped a ground there and various retail outlets ! 
  • Anyone got any deals on the trains ? 
    Getting best 164 for 2 return at this stage ? 
  • edited November 2021
    Try split ticket.com . Plenty of returns for £40 to £50. Imagine it will send you via Crewe on the way up, which is an extra 30 mins travelling time. 

Cheapest is for £27.00, gets in at 2:10. But probably an extra hour travelling on way up.
  • edited November 2021
    So, I am taking the plunge and going to this game - generally I restrict myself to nearer away games - I’m going by train - any tips for getting to the ground from the station ? Is it walkable ?
    with 30% discount card 

Journey Planner - Trains Times and Fares - National Rail Enquiries
  • MrWalker said:

That was the old ground (where the groundsman had a coracle to retrieve balls that went in the river) 
    No its the new ground as well.
    If you park past the shopping park in their designated car park, you have to pass under the railway and walk alongside it for 500m until you reach the ground
  • MrWalker said:
    MrWalker said:

No its the new ground as well.
    If you park past the shopping park in their designated car park, you have to pass under the railway and walk alongside it for 500m until you reach the groun
    Ah right Ted - thanks 
  • I see there’s 183 tickets left. How many did we get initially ? 
  • Sponsored links:

• edited November 2021
    Tube strike on Saturday is going to make the journey to/from Euston an absolute ballache
  • Croydon said:
    Tube strike on Saturday is going to make the journey to/from Euston an absolute ballache
    Where are the details of this please? 
  • edited November 2021
    https://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/tube-strike-london-why-tfl-victoria-northern-piccadilly-jubilee-line-b967597.html

But you can get the Thameslink to St Pancras and walk to Euston from there instead. ( Change at London Bridge if needs be)
  • redman said:
    Croydon said:
    Where are the details of this please? 
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/metro.co.uk/2021/11/23/london-tube-strike-dates-lines-stations-and-why-is-it-happening-15648874/amp/
  • edited November 2021
    ok thanks. tfl website 

https://tfl.gov.uk/campaign/tube-strike

key bit "Full-day strikes are planned on Friday 26 November and Saturday 18 December between 04:30 and 04:29 the following day". This affects most lines.

Question is how much the finishing at 4.29 will affect the next day. 

Also "
    on the Central and Victoria lines only".  "Strikes are planned for the following dates from 20:30 until 04:29 the next day: 27 November3 December4 December, 10 December11 December, 17 December."

where there will be severe disruption. 
  • 141 tickets left
  • Anyone know what our allocation was ? If it's the normal 1000 it's a good effort ! 
  • After my Morecombe exploits I'm sacking this one and doing gateshead instead
  • Looking forward to this one. My second trip there. First was the Ricky Holmes midweeker.