Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Morecambe v Charlton Athletic | Tuesday 23 November 2021 | Match Preview, Prediction, News & Views

edited November 2021 in General Charlton
Morecambe v Charlton Athletic
Tuesday 23 November | Kick-Off: 19:45
Live on Charlton TV (UK included) 

Referee: Andy Haines - Previously officiated Charlton away at Rochdale back in October 2018 where the Addicks missed a penalty and lost 1-0.

Introduction
A packed Valley, a roaring atmosphere, and a performance and result to match. The cohesion of the team now is showing and it's clear they're working themselves into the ground for Jackson. The more they go on, the more they make it simply impossible for the owner to consider anyone else - and why should he? The job has to be Jacko's. This isn't about popularity with the fans, albeit that helps, this is about bringing our club forward, and with the experience of what it takes as a player and assistant, on top of the results as caretaker, we aren't going to find anyone better. With a run of 4 wins (all with clean sheets) and a solitary draw from 5 in charge, Jackson's Addicks are going travelling for the next couple of weeks. First stop off is up to the north west coast in a fixture that has never happened in the combined total of 222 years in our respective histories, Morecambe to be precise.

Opposition
Manager: Stephen Robinson (37.8% win rate) | Stadium: Mazuma Stadium
League Position: 18th | Nickname(s): The Shrimps
Form: LLDLLW

Morecambe played away in their derby game to Fleetwood Town on Saturday, winning 2-1, their line up was:

Andrésson
McLaughlin | O'Connor | Delaney | Leigh
McCalmont | Jones | McLoughlin
Ayunga | Stockton | Gnahoua

Morecambe celebrated their 100 year anniversary last season with promotion to the third tier of English football for the first time in their history. Some achievement for a club who finished 22nd in two of the previous three years in League Two. Start to life in League One has been relatively steady for a club who were strong favourites to head straight back down. Beating Sheffield Wednesday and Lincoln City whilst holding Plymouth Argyle, all at home, shows a team who are competitive and will be right up for the visit of the most in form team since Jackson took the reins.

A late winner on Saturday against a relegation and local rival of Fleetwood Town will have boosted the confidence of the Shrimps ahead of Tuesday night. With a striker in Cole Stockton - who scored that winner from his own half at the weekend - in the form of his life with 14 goals in all competitions thus far, we will have to be right at it and solid, as we have been of late. To go into a little more detail on the striker, there has only been 6 games this season where he has failed to either score or assist, his goals directly winning Morecambe an additional 7 points. A tally that would see them bottom of the league without him. Stockton is well on the way to getting at least 20 this term, I think we could all agree that is an incredible feat for a club like Morecambe at this level.

Charlton Team News
With results as they have been the team pretty much picks itself. Well, as much as possible with the injuries or suspensions that we seem to be getting almost every game at the moment. The latest player to fall victim is club captain, Jason Pearce. The defender has recently come out and said how he has had to work hard to prove people wrong, including the former manager, and he has done just that. Pearce has been excellent at the centre of the back three and will be missed as he is extremely unlikely to travel. It's expected that Gunter will slot in and take the armband. Stockley serves the second game of his 3 match ban but that doesn't matter too much when you have a goalscoring wing-back who looks to be on his way to double figures!

The game could again come a little too soon for Matthews and Leko but let's hope they're available to us next weekend. Harry Arter will be hoping to be able to make the bench, as will Pape Souaré, but one of the changes I am anticipating is young Deji Elewere taking the skipper's place in the squad. It's a shame that Sam Lavelle is injured as this is a game that he would have been most looking forward to since signing for us on deadline day. Let's hope the former Morecambe captain can get himself fit not too long after the turn of the new year.

Subs: Harness, Elewere, Watson, Morgan, Blackett-Taylor, Leko, Burstow

Prediction
Huge credit to any hardy sole who makes the long trip to the north west on Tuesday evening. This will be the first game I have missed since Jackson took charge but will be tuning in on Charlton TV. With the run we are on, with the players working so hard and the quality we have, how can you go for anything other than the Addicks getting the better of the Shrimps? 3 points head back to south east London.

Morecambe 0-2 Charlton Athletic
Washington
Gilbey

Comments

• Good review. 

Am starting to get a bit worried about our centre half and centre forward 'lightness'.

But we are playing as a team. A bit like Liverpool do when they are without key players, they play to a system and perform. That's all we need to keep doing :)  
  • Been a remarkable season for Cole Stockton - His best at this level was five goals over two seasons, whilst he's one goal short of equalling his best ever season.

For a club like Morecambe I hope they're able to keep him in January as they will surely be doomed if they dont.

Great Preview @Sage... All the more impressive for them is the fact they lost Derek Adams to Bradford shortly after they got promoted, so have really got it right with their new Manager coming down from Scotland. 

Just a shame that Sam Lavelle wont be able to go back to his old club - Imagine he will have received a great reception, given how their fans reacted when he left on deadline day.

Be interested to see how Jackson approaches this game, probably the first match where we're not facing a team flying high or seriously struggling since he took over. Dont expect to see a team similar to Accrington but still expect it to be quite a battle for us. 

• . To go into a little more detail on the striker, there has only been 6 games this season where he has failed to either score or assist, his goals directly winning Morecambe an additional 7 points. A tally that would see them bottom of the league without him. 
    Possibly, but if he wasn’t playing someone would replace him, and they’d probably contribute some goals and assists as well. Maybe not as many, but almost certainly not zero. 
    Sorry for the pedantry. Great preview as ever. 
  • Stockton looks a threat for them and Mac will need to keep an eye on his positioning, come to far off his line and he will punish him. I have just seen Stockton's winner for Morcombe on Saturday and apparently its the second time he has done it this season.

Other than that I think we have enough in the tank to bring back 3 points. 
  • This one we will expect to win.

So 2-1 to Morecambe.  
  • JamesSeed said:

. To go into a little more detail on the striker, there has only been 6 games this season where he has failed to either score or assist, his goals directly winning Morecambe an additional 7 points. A tally that would see them bottom of the league without him. 
    Possibly, but if he wasn’t playing someone would replace him, and they’d probably contribute some goals and assists as well. Maybe not as many, but almost certainly not zero. 
    You are right, someone would be playing instead of him. But not getting anywhere near as many as he has, and those are the points his goals has directly won. Like turning a draw into a win on Saturday against Fleetwood. Without that goal that’s 2 less points. Someone else would not have scored the goal he did on Saturday. 
  • Morecambe played 4-3-3 Saturday and if they play that formation tomorrow I think we will beat them comfortably as I don’t think they would get passed our midfield.
    I don’t think JJ will allow the standards drop so I think we will win. 
  • Sponsored links:

• I'd put Soare and arter on the bench 
  • Pearce Matthews Lee DJ Davison and Leko all either injured or carrying knocks after Saturday … 
  • I'd put Soare and arter on the bench 
    Soare another who out injured not fit 
  • Pearce Matthews Lee DJ Davison and Leko all either injured or carrying knocks after Saturday … 
    Source?
  • It’s nice to now be playing a team who are actually below us in the table. Hoping by the end of the season there are 22 or 23 below us.
  • Looked like Davison pulled up with a hammy on Saturday so wouldn't be surprised if he misses out. Could mean Burstow gets a start. 

With Stockley's penchant for a card, we could do with a bit of cover coming in in January as we are an injury away from leaving us very light up top.
  • Looking forward to this one. New ground to tick off and a confident Charlton side to watch as well. 

Won’t be easy however but can see us coming back with at least a point in the bag
  • I think we need to expect this to be our toughest test yet. If it isn't, nothing lost.
  • Sponsored links:

• I'd like to see 4 points at least from these two away games, so at least a point. 
  • hate injuries
  • Sage said:
    JamesSeed said:

. To go into a little more detail on the striker, there has only been 6 games this season where he has failed to either score or assist, his goals directly winning Morecambe an additional 7 points. A tally that would see them bottom of the league without him. 
    You are right, someone would be playing instead of him. But not getting anywhere near as many as he has, and those are the points his goals has directly won. Like turning a draw into a win on Saturday against Fleetwood. Without that goal that’s 2 less points. Someone else would not have scored the goal he did on Saturday. 
    Of course. But football’s a funny old game Saint. Another player might have got a hat trick in another game, or might have scored zero. No one will ever know. 
  • I think this could be a tricky game. There will be lots of tired legs after Saturday's efforts, plus the injuries to Pearce and Davison. If Lee is also injured, as has been suggested, then I wouldn't be surprised to see a change of formation, although I think we should tray and stick to our successful game-plan. I would like to see Burstow given a chance, and I guess if we stick to the same formation he will probably get that chance. I think we may draw this one, and I will take that if we win on Saturday. 1-1 (super Ben P again).
  • edited November 2021
    I think Lee is the one that will hurt us most of all as those three in midfield are fundamental to the way we play. Hopefully he is ok.
  • An unexpected 1 - 0 defeat throwing the whole of CL into turmoil and angst.
  • Pearce put a photo of him receiving some treatment saying hopefully Not too long. 
  • Morecambe are in poor form but given all our injuries will be a tough game. Scrape a 2-1 win but a draw would not be a disaster.
  • games are coming thick and fast which suits us, a team in super form .. we'll be too good even for a decent side who must not be taken for granted .. JJ's men go marching on

Morecambe 0 v CAFC 2