Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Flapjacks

Hello my British brethren

I came across a YouTube video the other day by a former royal chef in which he made flapjacks (which to me mean something way different but I digress)

https://youtu.be/R75oLxw292o

His recipe called for cornflakes alongside the usual oats, it sounded fantastic so I gave it a go. 

I ended up with a soupy mess that didn’t set up whatsoever. Since it’s a British favorite, does anyone have any suggestions for a tried and tested way to make flapjacks? or some advice on what possibly went wrong with mine? 😂 Cheers guys!

Comments

• I used to make these when I was training hard and the rest of the family tucked in too.

Protein Flapjacks Recipe

Ingredients

• 120g rolled oats
    • 100g Meridian peanut butter
    • 60g whey protein powder
    • 125-150g skimmed milk (almond milk and other % fat milks can be used instead but weights may vary)
    • 15g acacia honey

Directions

• Place whey and oats into large bowl; mix together
    • Add milk and peanut butter and mix together until evenly mixed
    • Add honey and stir evenly through mixture
    • Line a baking tray with grease proof paper and drizzle a touch of coconut oil 
    • Spread mixture onto paper (1-3cm thickness)
    • Place in fridge for 30 minutes
    • Pre-heat oven to 190 degrees C (gas mark 5)
    • 10-12 minutes in oven
    • Remove, slice and leave to cool

Nutritional Value

• Protein: 85g
    • Carbohydrate: 110g
    • Fat: 55g
  • I forgot to say you can leave out the protein powder and they will still taste great.
  • melted butter, oats, then add treacle, bake then done
  • I made them about a month ago and used this recipe: https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/flapjacks_86993

Turned out pretty well!
  • If it's a soupy mess that sounds like too much liquid in the mix. Were you using imperial or metric measurements, and could you have done with a longer cooking time?
  • aliwibble said:
    If it's a soupy mess that sounds like too much liquid in the mix. Were you using imperial or metric measurements, and could you have done with a longer cooking time?
    I used imperial measurements which he converted on the recipe. I measured the corn flakes by volume instead of weight which I think might have been the problem, I needed more solid ingredients for sure 
  • Yep, it's the measuring by volume that's screwed you. With a low density foodstuff like cornflakes you're going to need a much bigger volume to get the same mass compared to flour. It's why the first reaction of British cooks to a lot of American recipes is along the lines of "A cup of flour? How BIG a cup is that then? And WTF is a stick of butter when it's at home?"
  • aliwibble said:
    Yep, it's the measuring by volume that's screwed you. With a low density foodstuff like cornflakes you're going to need a much bigger volume to get the same mass compared to flour. It's why the first reaction of British cooks to a lot of American recipes is along the lines of "A cup of flour? How BIG a cup is that then? And WTF is a stick of butter when it's at home?"
    Cheers Ali!
  • aliwibble said:
    Yep, it's the measuring by volume that's screwed you. With a low density foodstuff like cornflakes you're going to need a much bigger volume to get the same mass compared to flour. It's why the first reaction of British cooks to a lot of American recipes is along the lines of "A cup of flour? How BIG a cup is that then? And WTF is a stick of butter when it's at home?"
    I always use a knob
  • Sponsored links:

• oooh err missus! Cue Kenneth Williams pic.
  • I used a knob of butter and the missus said I needed to put more in …