Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Peng Shuai

Comments

• seth plum said:
    Gribbo said:
    ....and even if there isn't, it's hardly a good comparison is it?
    I think it is the comparison between powerful men and vulnerable young people that is appropriate. Like what happened to Nadia Comaneci, or Simone Biles and many others.
    Would the issue be about male power more than nationality?
    No, because in the west the accuser (like Simone Biles) won't disappear in the middle of the night, and be taken for re-education
    Quite right, in “the west” we arrest the guilty party and then before they can spill the beans in an open court about all the rich and powerful people that have been raping under age girls (Bill Clinton, Bill Gates and others being “persons of interest”) the accused “commits suicide” despite being under 24/7 supervision.

I mean, seriously, what has happened in China is very bad indeed, but the Epstein thing is on a much bigger scale, involving some of the most powerful people on the planet and they will, in fact, get away with it just like this Chinese politician will.
  • edited November 2021
    The Prince Andrew case is absolutely shocking. I'm lost as to why the monarchy remains as popular as it is in this country.  
  • bobmunro said:
    You really don't help yourself, Seth.

Conflating the nonce in Buck House with the situation with this young girl is a gross false equivalence. Andrew's accuser has certainly not disappeared, quite the opposite as she has been given a platform to speak either directly or through her lawyers and he has been pretty much vilified by the media. Neither of which would be tolerated by the Chinese authorities in a similar scenario, as would appear to be the case here.

Criticising the Chinese regime in relation to their human rights record IS NOT RACIST and is not directed to or at the Chinese people, who have my sympathy when it comes to their lack of freedom.

Nobody on this thread as far as I can tell has been racist towards the Chinese people. Call it 'Regimist' if you like, not racist. 

Simple question, do you believe that Jeffrey Epstein killed himself?
  • bobmunro said:

Conflating the nonce in Buck House with the situation with this young girl is a gross false equivalence. Andrew's accuser has certainly not disappeared, quite the opposite as she has been given a platform to speak either directly or through her lawyers and he has been pretty much vilified by the media. Neither of which would be tolerated by the Chinese authorities in a similar scenario, as would appear to be the case here.

Criticising the Chinese regime in relation to their human rights record IS NOT RACIST and is not directed to or at the Chinese people, who have my sympathy when it comes to their lack of freedom.

Nobody on this thread as far as I can tell has been racist towards the Chinese people. Call it 'Regimist' if you like, not racist. 

No. But its not really a good comparison anyway. Epstein was accused of perpetrating/enabling abuse. Peng Shuai has mysteriously vanished after supposedly being the victim of abuse.

If Giuffre was to have a very convenient accident it would be a lot more directly comparable to what has (apparently) happened in China. 
  • thenewbie said:
    bobmunro said:

No. But its not really a good comparison anyway. Epstein was accused of perpetrating/enabling abuse. Peng Shuai has mysteriously vanished after supposedly being the victim of abuse.

If Giuffre was to have a very convenient accident it would be a lot more directly comparable to what has (apparently) happened in China. 
    It’s exactly the same thing.

In China and in the west rich and powerful people will go to extreme lengths to protect themselves.

In China you will be “disappeared” in the US people will “commit suicide” making it impossible for justice to be carried out.
  • She has made the accusation and disappeared. That wouldn't happen in the West. What is worrying is what is the endgame for the Chinese here? Will she ever appear? 
    I reckon she’ll appear shortly saying it was all a misunderstanding, she just took some time out and the accusations she made were incorrect. 
  • bobmunro said:

Do you know that he didn't?
  • Gribbo said:
    bobmunro said:

Under guard 24/7 in maximum security Rijkers prison.

The TWO guards watching him were both "sleeping and browsing the Internet" when Jeffrey "topped himself."

Both escaped any further punishment despite obvious criminal negligence.

The video cameras that should have been filming his cell 24/7 were very conveniently removed a couple of weeks before he died.

Do me a fucking favour.

• Sponsored links:

• Gribbo said:
    bobmunro said:

The TWO guards watching him were both "sleeping and browsing the Internet" when Jeffrey "topped himself."

The video cameras that should have been filming his cell 24/7 were very conveniently removed a couple of weeks before he died.

Do me a fucking favour.

Oh okay. Yeah, the West is just as bad as China for making people disappear 🙄
  • edited November 2021
    Gribbo said:
    bobmunro said:

Do me a fucking favour.

I don’t know if he killed himself or not, but I do know he was not in Rikers, he was in MCC. 
  • se9addick said:
    She has made the accusation and disappeared. That wouldn't happen in the West. What is worrying is what is the endgame for the Chinese here? Will she ever appear? 
    I reckon she’ll appear shortly saying it was all a misunderstanding, she just took some time out and the accusations she made were incorrect. 
    Agreed, it'll be some kind of statement under duress just to appease the authorities so that China doesn't look 'bad' or lose all its tennis tournaments.

They might not do anything to her because of her fame but you can guarantee she'll be told to do what they say or her close family will be in trouble.
  • seth plum said:
    You can’t think of a well known figure that has faced accusations in other places?
    Did his accusers literally vanish though? 
    Careful Stu. Stay safe. 
    Obviously I’m not suggesting anyone has vanished, anywhere, ever! 🙀
  • Chizz said:
    Gribbo said:
    bobmunro said:

Do me a fucking favour.

I don’t know if he killed himself or not, but I do know he was not in Rikers, he was in MCC. 
    They were too busy watching the cricket to look after him properly
    Ormi knows what happened, he'll fill us in I'm sure
  • It is not disappearance, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was a lot of very unpleasant coercion.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-china-59368774
  • The IOC executive is an all too willing collaborator with the Beijing regime
    Revenue is IOC's only consideration  they've taken the Chinese money and will now bend over backwards to facilitate and appease that abhorrent regime.
    2014 Sochi Olympics in a country where homosexuality still actively persecuted, the IOC was satisfied with the regional leader's affirmation that "there are no homosexuals in Krasnodar"
    The IOC is not a valuable witness in this matter

The British Olympic Committee shamefully silent on this matter too

• Sponsored links:

• If the relevant organisations wont ban events from taking place in China,then it is up to the individual athletes,tennis players to say they are not going.
  • It'll be interesting to see if she goes to the Australian Open in January.

My guess is as that she's soon to be 36, she will conveniently announce her retirement.
  • If the relevant organisations wont ban events from taking place in China,then it is up to the individual athletes,tennis players to say they are not going.
    I think the WTA chief has said too much now about pulling events from China. He'll look pretty stupid if the answers he wants aren't forthcoming and then he still goes ahead with events there.
  • se9addick said:
    She has made the accusation and disappeared. That wouldn't happen in the West. What is worrying is what is the endgame for the Chinese here? Will she ever appear? 
    Spot on.
  • China really is an evil entity and danger to world stability. Oppressive and corrupt. One day just as with the USSR the people will have enough and it will tumble and fall. A way off yet I think but it will happen. The sooner the better.
  • Kind of puts the ATP in a tricky situation for the men's game....... do they follow suit?