Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Best decade for pop music?

A very subjective chat and one i've been thinking about it a lot. Cannot be any random decade, eg 1985-1994. has to be a complete decade. I haven't even bothered with the last one.

I first discovered music as a teenager in the 1990s, indie/britpop era. 85% of my favourite records come from the 70s/80s/90s. Records that in my eyes are timeless, not albums i have a sentimental attachment too, like many from the 90s.

For me the 80s comes out on top, so many musical breakthroughs. The growth of electronic music, which in my opinion is just as important as the birth of rock and roll.

I prefer albums to individual bands or style of music. 

1. 1980s
2. 1970s
2. 1990s
4. 1960s
5. 1950s
6. 2000s

Comments

• 90's for me, but I think that for many it;s driven by their formative years. In the 90's I left school, went to Uni, met my future wife, got my first job, bought my first house etc etc, so music from the 90's connects with more things for me than any other decade. 

I listen to Absolute 90's in the car and tonight watched Top of the Pops 1991 on BBC4.

Like you I like a bit of indi, but also house and the 90's was great for that. It was, of course, also the decade of Mr Blobby.

I also like the 80s as a lot of the music from then influenced what I listened to in the 90's.

I couldn't tell you the name of a song from about 2003 on.

And I never thought I'd say what my dad used to sat to me, but modern music is shit. You can't sing along or dance to it....
  • I think the 70s was the most exciting in terms of the changes in music during the decade.

• edited November 2021
    90’s without a doubt for me mainly because I was hitting my 20’s early in the decade and I was in the right place at the right time to experience different genres like grunge and dance music. Some of the greatest moments of my life were in night clubs, raves in the basement of dingey squats, garages in the middle of nowhere to clearings in the darkest depths of Thetford forest with a large stack of speakers being watched by a load of moody old bill and then events like Reading festival. And then travelling round India on motorcycles late in the 90’s like it was the alternative experience of Easy Rider to the soundtrack not of rock and roll but techno. Yeah I had a good time in the 90’s.
  • Whilst Im really into electronic music which started in the early 70's with Kraftwerk, Jarre, Vangelis, Tangerine Dream. Tomita and so on, my love of music stems from about 1965 listening to Radio Caroline and Radio Luxembourg....so for me it has to be the 60's. 
  • 80's for me. 

Music died once Stock Aitkin & Waterman got involved. Them & manufactured bands ruined music imo. 
  • 80’s 
    Close the thread 
  • 60’s of course.
  • DA9 said:
    80’s 
    Close the thread 

What DA9 said!
    80s all day and I wasn’t even born till late in the decade.  The tracks from that decade are still on radio today, my Spotify has more 80s tracks than 00s (my teen years).  
    If you asked me to do a top 10 of all time tracks I fancy I’d have about 7 from the 80s, pretty easy question for me!
  • 80's for me. 

Music died once Stock Aitkin & Waterman got involved. Them & manufactured bands ruined music imo. 
    But some great bands came after Stock, Aitkin and Waterman and manufactured bands have been around since the 60’s. 

The Monkees were a manufactured band. 

In answer to the question I’d go…

90’s
    80’s
    60’s
    70’s
    00’s
    50’s
  • The 1950’s
    Rock n Roll was the beginning of popular music with out it you don’t the rest.
  • Sponsored links:

• Greenie said:
    The 1950’s
    Yes and no, undoubtably the 50’s influenced everything that came later and was probably the catalyst for change in so many things but there must have influence from the likes of Robert Johnson. Cue the without blind boy someone  there wouldn’t have been one legged blind boy someone else.
    80's for me. 

But some great bands came after Stock, Aitkin and Waterman and manufactured bands have been around since the 60’s. 

90’s
    80’s
    60’s
    70’s
    00’s
    50’s
    Is the correct answer.
  • Greenie said:
    The 1950’s
    Yes and no, undoubtably the 50’s influenced everything that came later and was probably the catalyst for change in so many things but there must have influence from the likes of Robert Johnson. Cue the without blind boy someone  there wouldn’t have been one legged blind boy someone else.
    80's for me. 

90’s
    80’s
    60’s
    70’s
    00’s
    50’s
    Is the correct answer.
    Do I get a star? 😆
  • Reckon there's been music I love from all those decades to be fair.
  • 70s

I became a teenager in 1970 so the 70s will always be my formative years for music, not least for:

- Pink Floyd - The Dark Side of the Moon (73), Wish You Were Here (75), Animals (77), The Wall (79)
    - Led Zep at their best

But the 60s made all that possible - Beatles, Stones, Kinks, Who, Small Faces, Doors, Hendrix et al, plus heroes like Dylan, Cohen, Young and the emergence of my beautiful Joni.

I like to think I'm not anchored to the past and there has been some great music in every decade - Madchester in the 80s, Oasis and Blur in the 90s and so on.

• Growing up/coming of age in the 90s that's my instinctive answer but I actually think objectively and based on what I most listen to I'd say the 70s. 
  • I have always differentiated between pop music and rock music…..they are two very different genre.
    My favourite pop music decade was the 60’s, whereas my favourite rock music decade was the 70’s.
  • The latest Sam Fender album came out in the 2020’s, so I’m going to say the 2020’s. 
  • 70s all day long. From prog rock to reggae to glam rock to Tamla to country to disco to punk - the charts had the lot!
  • it’s probably the decade you were a teenager in so I’m saying the 60’s but to be fair in my it’s can’t be just a decade as the great music was really from around 63 to probably early 70’s, you had the Rolling Stones, Beatles, animals, Simon and Garfunkel, Motown, carpenters, Flower power, The Who, protest songs re Vietnam, Acker Bilk and trad Jazz, etc etc, what generation can complete with that line up or mixture of music.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited November 2021
    For me, this is a tough one but narrowing it down to either the 70s or 80s is the easy part. When you consider ‘what the fuck’ was going on in the world and the scatter gun directions music was simultaneously going on during the 70s though that probably has to be the one I’d have to choose. It was background music for an era that was always on the cusp of taking off or completely imploding and nothing was off the agenda creatively. Looking back, just a shame about the clothes
  • I would say 1983-1993 is the best decade 
  • Whatever decade you grew up in. 70s for me, but each to their own. There's good and bad music in every decade. I guess the 1940s is the last decade where the stuff that's publicly known about was generally poor. But hey, they were busy putting on the biggest pyrotechnics show of all time, they couldn't concentrate on everything.
  • I have always differentiated between pop music and rock music…..they are two very different genre.
    My favourite pop music decade was the 60’s, whereas my favourite rock music decade was the 70’s.
    100% with you on this re different genres.
    100% agree with the 70’s being the best rock decade.
    Can’t agree rep the 60’s though. Best pop music hands down was in the 80’s. The age of the video 😎🤩
  • For me, this is a tough one but narrowing it down to either the 70s or 80s is the easy part. When you consider ‘what the fuck’ was going on in the world and the scatter gun directions music was simultaneously going on during the 70s though that probably has to be the one I’d have to choose. It was background music that was always on the cusp of taking off or completely imploding and nothing was off the agenda creatively. Looking back, just a shame about the clothes

What, exactly, was wrong with flares, kipper ties and platform shoes? (asking for a friend).
  • Mid 70’s to mid 80’s … The best 10 years of music in my lifetime 
  • bobmunro said:
    For me, this is a tough one but narrowing it down to either the 70s or 80s is the easy part. When you consider ‘what the fuck’ was going on in the world and the scatter gun directions music was simultaneously going on during the 70s though that probably has to be the one I’d have to choose. It was background music that was always on the cusp of taking off or completely imploding and nothing was off the agenda creatively. Looking back, just a shame about the clothes

What, exactly, was wrong with flares, kipper ties and platform shoes? (asking for a friend).
    The 70’s was by far the worse decade for clothing. Seems strange when you think it came straight after the 60’s. 
  • 70s, 60's, 50's then 80's
    It's a fair point but you could just use that to drill down and include every genre. My favourite Rock 'n Roll was in the '50s, my favourite Psychedelic was in the '60s, my favourite Punk was in the '70s as was my favourite Disco, my favourite Electronica was in the '80s... and my favourite K-Pop Cowpunk with Sea Shanty Mumble Rap was in the 2010s.  
  • For me it has to be 1965-1975... an elysium of pop, rock, jazz and prog