Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Shelvey speculation

edited May 2009 in Rumours
Since these rumours will no doubt go on all summer, might as well be a thread for them all to go in.

There's been a few recently, and it's carried on today.
Shelvey to Spurs - mirror.co.uk
Tottenham manager Harry Redknapp is lining up a summer bid to bring Inter Milan midfielder Sulley Muntari back to the Premier League - with Jermaine Jenas heading in the opposite direction. Redknapp's summer targets also include Sunderland striker Kenwyne Jones, Middlesbrough winger Stewart Downing and Charlton wonderkid Jonjo Shelvey. (Daily Mirror)
BBC site now has a link to the full story which is nice.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/gossip_and_transfers/default.stm

Comments

• Would be a shame to see him spending the next 2/3 years in the reserves when he could be getting first team football with us.
  • Well if there is a bid and its accepted I hope that Charlton insist he is loaned back to us for the season at least. No way would Jonjo feature much for either Spurs or Arsenal. Might just sweeten a bitter pill.
  • Maybe he should have a quiet word with John Bostock !!!
  • Saw him at the end of Ransom Walk after the game yesterday in his England training kit signing various things. Obviously wasn't much to be said in the dressing room afterwards to come out that quick!

Thought he looked tired yesterday at times.
  • Its the mirror though, they make up a load of crap
  • [cite]Posted By: Vincenzo[/cite]Would be a shame to see him spending the next 2/3 years in the reserves when he could be getting first team football with us.

Yeah I don't think it'll help him at all.

Spurs already have some good young midfielders coming through from what I saw in the youth cup match. Not just Bostock either.

Arsenal it'll be even harder for him to break through.

Though I guess one of the relegated clubs might go after him, say if Boro or Newcastle go down? He could still get games without being overplayed and gives them a potential Premier League player.
  • [cite]Posted By: L Block JT[/cite]Saw him at the end of Ransom Walk after the game yesterday in his England training kit signing various things. Obviously wasn't much to be said in the dressing room afterwards to come out that quick!

Thought he looked tired yesterday at times.

I did notice he didn't seem to close down as much and go in for a few challenges like he did in the Cardiff game. Probably does need a rest.
  • Only a rest until Wednesday when he goes with England to Germany with the U17's.
  • Unfortunatley I think yesterday was the last time we see him in a Charlton shirt.

If he does go, would pick Arsenal, Wenger always gives youngsters a chance.
  • Sponsored links:

• If Jonjo does go soon and I would be pretty disapointed if he did. I think Wenger could turn him into an England player.
  • From the horses mouth last Tuesday...

He doesn't want to go to Arsenal or Tottenham or Newcastle or Celtic. He just wants to play football for Charlton for at least another year. BUT...he did say that it wasn't in hands. If he does move on the only clubs he wants to consider are West Ham and Liverpool.
  • I've heard he supports West Ham, but why Liverpool?
  • [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]I've heard he supports West Ham, but why Liverpool?

steve gerrard is his favourite player
  • [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]I've heard he supports West Ham, but why Liverpool?

Wants to play with Gerrard before Gerrard retires
  • [cite]Posted By: Valley McMoist[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]I've heard he supports West Ham, but why Liverpool?

Wants to play with Gerrard before Gerrard retires

Or gets jailed...
  • [cite]Posted By: BigRedEvil[/cite]Unfortunatley I think yesterday was the last time we see him in a Charlton shirt.

If he does go, would pick Arsenal, Wenger always gives youngsters a chance.
    I tend to agree. If Wenger takes a player on it's for genuine reasons unlike Spurs who collect players like Panini stickers
  • Hate to say it but from Shelveys perspective Div 3 would be a massive mistake. The chances of a player who's more than capable of making monkeys out of any defence in the division getting his legs broken by a Muscat wannabe is frighteningly high . If he has to go to a big club i'd think Arsenal would be the best bet.
  • Tier three isn't a home for Neanderthal footballers - I'm not aware that the division has a reputation for robust tackling and refereeing that fails to observe the rule book/protect players. As a talented player he will be targeted wherever he plays, even in reserve matches, that's the nature of the game - an opponent's best player will always expect to be on the receiving end of a few late challenges just to see if he the balls to carry on playing or hide.
  • If he has to go to a big club i'd think Arsenal would be the best bet.
    Yes, Arsenal, because none of their players have ever had their legs broken in a horrific tackle at all.
  • Sponsored links:

• [quote][cite]Posted By: Valley_floyd_red[/cite]<blockquote>If he has to go to a big club i'd think Arsenal would be the best bet. </blockquote>

Yes, Arsenal, because none of their players have ever had their legs broken in a horrific tackle at all.[/quote]

Absolutely top response VFR. As if only in our division do players stand the chance of getting legs broken! Ask Eduardo. I really get fed up with all this talk of Shelvey going - almost as if people are hoping it will happen to prove themselves right. As someone very wise once said, "Negative talk breeds negative results."
  • I really get fed up with all this talk of Shelvey going - almost as if people are hoping it will happen to prove themselves right. As someone very wise once said, "Negative talk breeds negative results."

I can see where those who think Shelvey might get sold are coming from. There has been a long tradition of the club selling off some of our better players too soon - think Paul Walsh, Paul Elliott, Robert Lee, Gordon Watson etc, and in recent years we've seen Scott Parker, Andy Reid and Danny Murphy go. Of that lot we probably only got market value for Scott Parker, so I can see why some here are worried that the board will take the money now route.
  • I think in Derek Hales and Darren Bent we also got top money and perhaps Darren Pitcher (spit).

Im afraid I see a comparison with Rob Lee.

Its not my thinking thats negative its the bank balance.
  • Darren Bent's situation was a bit different, he had a chance to leave at the end of his first season with us and instead signed a new contract. I don't think that anyone begrudged him leaving after relegation and it suited both club and player. We received good money money and DB got to play for a top Premiership side.

The similarity that I see now is more with Walsh & Elliott, both went cheaply to Luton for £250K each and both were worth considerably more. However a short-termist take the money now attitude by Gliksten prevailed over the footballing sensible thing to do which would have been to build a side around them and either go for promotion or sell them on a season or so later for more money. Those decisions, made for sound financial reasons undoubtedly held us back then and selling Shelvey will make promotion far more difficult this time around.
  • More likely he'll go in January

January 04 Parker
    January 06 Murphy
    January 08 Reid
    January 10 Shelvey?

At least it means we should have a good start to next season before he leaves ;-)

Really hope not though, get the feeling at the moment he's happy playing regularly for us.
  • [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]More likely he'll go in January

January 04 Parker
    January 06 Murphy
    January 08 Reid
    January 10 Shelvey?

At least it means we should have a good start to next season before he leaves ;-)

Really hope not though, get the feeling at the moment he's happy playing regularly for us.

That list really expalins our decline doesnt it......
  • I dreamt last night that we were offered £209m for Jonjo, if this comes true should we take it?
  • [cite]Posted By: Nadou[/cite]......."Negative talk breeds negative results."

Well, it certainly did this season .......(!)
  • [cite]Posted By: mascot88[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]More likely he'll go in January

January 04 Parker
    January 06 Murphy
    January 08 Reid
    January 10 Shelvey?

That list really expalins our decline doesnt it......

Hey that's where we are going wrong selling our best player in January of each year... Oh Bye Luke Varney you went this year right!
  • [cite]Posted By: Dazzler21[/cite]Hey that's where we are going wrong selling our best player in January of each year... Oh Bye Luke Varney you went this year right!

That can't be the connection you was making, surely.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!