Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Improve digestion (bad stomach)

Any doctors on here?

I have looked online but can't find a clear enough answer. I'm healthy enough, I have a reasonable safe balanced diet and I exercise  often enough. I drink enough water. It always helps.

I never used to be a gassy stomach kind of individual, and if I ever needed to blow off, It would just be a one off forgettable loud one. The end.

At the moment, it is officially too much. There is definitely something wrong with my stomach.

I think I also digest too fast. I'm not sure why it happens. I eat too quick perhaps.

If I'm in a public bathroom, or at work, I always unfortunately end up being next to "a noisy neighbor" who is doing some sort of disgusting hurricane loud number 2. My facial expression of disgust from that...is starting to just ache. I can't cover both my ears if I am holding my precious phone. 

I don't want to live my life on a toilet. I'm a busy individual. There was also a slight red issue. That was originally quite worrying but it's gone now and I don't think it was anything serious.

Based on online research:

I should eat yoghurt

Eat slower (I probably do stuff food down a bit)

Apple's/bananas etc

Any suggestions please?

End of the day, it makes me feel like shit. It's embarrassing. Gassy extreme is dreadful and it harms personal pride

Question lifers.

How the f*cking hell do I stop farting? I have briefly turned into a wild animal and it is disgusting.

I don't want windows open too often in this temperature.

A WiFi engineer didn't turn up in the time slot so I've been in all day, but for no reason. Hardly slept last night, and absolutely exhausted. Probably hasn't helped.

If he did turn up, he would be needing a gas mask. It's no joke.

There is temporarily something wrong with my stomach and I want it fixed.

Thanks for any advice, which I hope also inadvertently helps other people. 

Comments

• Pepto Bismal or Doctor Gut
  • ads said:
    Pepto Bismal or Doctor Gut
    Thanks.

I think I simply have irritable bowel syndrome. I hope so anyway
  • Try keeping a food diary, see if there's any pattern to bad days.

Could be dairy, spice, gluten, etc.
  • Have a Chicken Madras 
  • I find vegetarians fart a lot.
  • I'm certainly no doctor, but my PT has me eat a pineapple ring after most meals. There's an enzyme in the pineapple that aids digestion apparently. Seems to help me so might be worth a try?
  • Apparently Joe Biden has the same farting issues - and not always when he’s awake.
  • Dave2l said:
    Any doctors on here?

I have looked online but can't find a clear enough answer. I'm healthy enough, I have a reasonable safe balanced diet and I exercise  often enough. I drink enough water. It always helps.

I never used to be a gassy stomach kind of individual, and if I ever needed to blow off, It would just be a one off forgettable loud one. The end.

At the moment, it is officially too much. There is definitely something wrong with my stomach.

I think I also digest too fast. I'm not sure why it happens. I eat too quick perhaps.

If I'm in a public bathroom, or at work, I always unfortunately end up being next to "a noisy neighbor" who is doing some sort of disgusting hurricane loud number 2. My facial expression of disgust from that...is starting to just ache. I can't cover both my ears if I am holding my precious phone. 

I don't want to live my life on a toilet. I'm a busy individual. There was also a slight red issue. That was originally quite worrying but it's gone now and I don't think it was anything serious.

I should eat yoghurt

Apple's/bananas etc

Any suggestions please?

End of the day, it makes me feel like shit. It's embarrassing. Gassy extreme is dreadful and it harms personal pride

Question lifers.

How the f*cking hell do I stop farting? I have briefly turned into a wild animal and it is disgusting.

A WiFi engineer didn't turn up in the time slot so I've been in all day, but for no reason. Hardly slept last night, and absolutely exhausted. Probably hasn't helped.

Do not mess about asking for advice on a football forum, get down the doctors! 
    2nd that, better safe than sorry
  • Dave2l said:
    Any doctors on here?

I should eat yoghurt

Apple's/bananas etc

Any suggestions please?

Question lifers.

Absolutely. Get an informed diagnosis.
  • Sponsored links:

• iainment said:
    Dave2l said:
    Any doctors on here?

I should eat yoghurt

Apple's/bananas etc

Any suggestions please?

Question lifers.

I agree Dave. Get in contact with your GP's surgery and book an appointment. Many GPs are doing phone consultations at the moment due to COVID so you can chat to them and they will take it from there. Once you have a diagnosis you'll find lots of us on here with various gut related problems that can tell you what has worked for them etc. The sooner you do it the sooner you can put your mind at rest.

• iainment said:
    Dave2l said:
    Any doctors on here?

I should eat yoghurt

Apple's/bananas etc

Any suggestions please?

Question lifers.

Yes I will call my GP tomorrow.

Just a bit reluctant to do that sort of thing, considering the topic. I feel a bit more comfortable about it now and I will definitely call them, try and get an appointment (if that's possible)

I've read it is a bad habit and there is more about it.
  • probably worth talking to doctor

if you can't get in for a while, may be worth trying cutting some things out and see if that helps.

i had frequent indigestion (not quite as bad as you sound) but went on to lactose free milk (most supermarkets and co-op do lactofree, some also do own brand) and it made a heck of a difference in a few days.

intolerances can come on for no obvious reason
  • iainment said:
    Dave2l said:
    Any doctors on here?

I should eat yoghurt

Apple's/bananas etc

Any suggestions please?

Question lifers.

I agree Dave. Get in contact with your GP's surgery and book an appointment. Many GPs are doing phone consultations at the moment due to COVID so you can chat to them and they will take it from there. Once you have a diagnosis you'll find lots of us on here with various gut related problems that can tell you what has worked for them etc. The sooner you do it the sooner you can put your mind at rest.

Exactly 🙂

• Maybe not what you're eating but how.
    Slow down, close your mouth and chew your food.
  • Defo go see your GP fella.

I always thought I had IBS as suffered some pretty severe symptoms at times but since I left my previous job (was there almost 16 years, Snr Management, Highly Stressful at times), 99.9% of my symptoms cleared up within 6-8 weeks and over a year later, I feel bloody amazing still.  So it might just be something like stress effecting you.

Keep a diary, record what you eat, how you feel mentally and physically and see if you can see a pattern.  Your GP will highly likely get you to do this anyhow.  Best of luck.
    And posture when I'm eating is important to me. 

If I'm having something in front of the TV , tray on my lap, seated on the sofa, I tend to slouch so have to remind myself to sit up straight with a couple of cushions behind me to help. 

I also find that several Smints slowly eaten help when my gut sounds like Vesuvius ready to erupt.

And a hot water bottle wrapped in a tea towel helps to disperse trapped wind when it's really uncomfortable.

Hope that helps a tad.
  • Any pain with it? You might want to try a FODMAP diet, took ages before the doctors recommended that to me and it cleared up a lot of my problems. Onions and garlic tend to be the worst culprits if it's that but everyone's different with it
  • If there’s any ‘red stuff’ it could be Crohns or colitis etc. Best thing to do is speak to your doctor and probably get a camera to find out the rest. 
  • Dave2l said:
    iainment said:
    Dave2l said:
    Any doctors on here?

I should eat yoghurt

Apple's/bananas etc

Any suggestions please?

Question lifers.

Yes I will call my GP tomorrow.

Just a bit reluctant to do that sort of thing, considering the topic. I feel a bit more comfortable about it now and I will definitely call them, try and get an appointment (if that's possible)

I've read it is a bad habit and there is more about it.
    That’s what GP’s are for - get yourself sorted. No shame in it whatsoever. Too many people don’t bother and it can become a problem. It’s is more than likely nothing too serious - better to be safe than sorry. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Definitely need to see your GP. It could be for so many different reasons. I have suffered from an irritable bowel for years but once I got diagnosed with a condition called Bile Salt Malabsorption and was put on medication it has been a near 100% inprovement. Gone from having a number two up to seven times a day to just once, sometimes twice.

See your GP.
  • Definitely need to see your GP. It could be for so many different reasons. I have suffered from an irritable bowel for years but once I got diagnosed with a condition called Bile Salt Malabsorption and was put on medication it has been a near 100% inprovement. Gone from having a number two up to seven times a day to just once, sometimes twice.

See your GP.

I hope I follow this pathway 
  • Red stuff could come from a fissure tear from going so often. I have IBS also and strangely enough, it plays up at the weekends when im more relaxed!

Kept a food diary though and pin pointed things that make it worse. Pizza (combo of dough & cheese I think) and oily foods are top of the list!
  • Any pain with it? You might want to try a FODMAP diet, took ages before the doctors recommended that to me and it cleared up a lot of my problems. Onions and garlic tend to be the worst culprits if it's that but everyone's different with it

I cooked a good meal last night. Contained a chopped up onion alongside garlic seasoning.

Certainly explains a bit

• Red stuff could come from a fissure tear from going so often. I have IBS also and strangely enough, it plays up at the weekends when im more relaxed!

Kept a food diary though and pin pointed things that make it worse. Pizza (combo of dough & cheese I think) and oily foods are top of the list!

Snap. I eat so much pizza.

Did you see your GP?

• Yeah, would definitely recommend a GP appointment.

In my experience, the tests they can run for gut disorders are easy and effective in detecting/excluding a range of conditions.

No point in guessing what it might be, when you can have some tests and be reassured and have some treatment if necessary.

All the best.

• Dave2l said:
    Red stuff could come from a fissure tear from going so often. I have IBS also and strangely enough, it plays up at the weekends when im more relaxed!

Snap. I eat so much pizza.

Did you see your GP?

I did yeah as I got cramps that crippled me and when it finished, I felt so drained of energy that it just made me lethargic.

Still enjoy a pizza from time to time but make sure that my meals in the lead up arent "bad" so I reduce the risk. Water helps aswell!

GP gave me tablets that ease the pain but honestly, just thinking a little more about what you eat and drink will help. Doesnt have to be strict to the point where you cant enjoy the food you like. 

However, Im not a GP so would still have a chat/appointment with your GP.
    Even if you don’t want to try FODMAP I would recommend you read about it as it may point you towards what and how to make changes to your diet.  Also, everyone is different.  What irritates me may not affect you and vica versa.
    And posture when I'm eating is important to me. 

If I'm having something in front of the TV , tray on my lap, seated on the sofa, I tend to slouch so have to remind myself to sit up straight with a couple of cushions behind me to help. 

I also find that several Smints slowly eaten help when my gut sounds like Vesuvius ready to erupt.

And a hot water bottle wrapped in a tea towel helps to disperse trapped wind when it's really uncomfortable.

Hope that helps a tad.
    Propped up with pillows, sweets to keep the guts quiet and farting over a hot water bottle. Who said romance was dead in the fanackpan household  :)
  • Is weight an issue for you? Was a big problem for me until I lost a load of weight - almost overnight my digestion issues went away. I used to get serious gas (both 'ends') but losing weight put paid to that (and snoring - which disappeared almost instantly)