Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

God Save Our Queen - Funeral will be Mon 19th September (p26)

Buckingham Palace reports no official duties for another two weeks - with further rest advised.

Naturally she is an elderly lady who is working far above and beyond most of us would at that age with retirement not really an option when you are a Monarch.

You do wonder if there is something we are not being told - as Comms are very vague.

I wonder if she will step down - and hand over duties to Charles before too long?

Comments

• I bumped into a mate who works on her police protection team during the week and there’s a fair amount of concern for her apparently.
  • Other half has Obit Mode all ready for radio it’s so sad to do but need to be prepared. 
  • She was on the news earlier talking to some officials on Zoom and looked and sounded as right as rain.
  • She should put her feet up, she has certainly earned it!
  • Sponsored links:

• well said Soapy
  • I just don't understand the affection people have for the Monarchy. I'm clearly the odd one out in that regard.
    I don’t believe in monarchy, but I love the Queen. Great servant to our country and I’m confident Charles will be a significant downgrade when the time comes (hopefully not for a long time).
  • Agree on all the positive comments on the Queen - an exceptional servant and hard worker on behalf of her country.

Not sure if it is just what I have heard, but I used to work with someone who was very close to Kensington Palace - and according to him Charles was a proper character and a right laugh to be around.
  • I am a Republican through and through but she is a 95 year old lady who has earned the respect of most people who have had dealings with her. I wish her well. 
    +1
  • I just don't understand the affection people have for the Monarchy. I'm clearly the odd one out in that regard.
    Do you understand the commitment the 95 year old woman has made to her country at least? 
  • edited October 2021
    I'm not trying to be flippant or edgy. I just don't feel invested in the institution or the individuals within it.
  • Sponsored links:

• I think the vast majority of people appreciate what the queen has done for the country and when the time comes it will be a sad period indeed. 
    However she will be a very hard act to follow and I think some rethinking from the institution might be needed in order to survive long term. 
  • AndyG said:
    I think the vast majority of people appreciate what the queen has done for the country and when the time comes it will be a sad period indeed. 
    However she will be a very hard act to follow and I think some rethinking from the institution might be needed in order to survive long term. 
    I would agree with you in theory, other than to query what might be better .  It’s not like the rest of the world does especially well with elected leaders. 
  • edited October 2021
    The monarchy has its problems. But I am a royalist, it makes us what we are and The Queen is like a posh elderly aunt that manages to keep the riff raff side of her family at a distance. I think she is great and when the enviable happens I will be gutted I turned down the chance to have my Long Service Good Conduct Medal presented to me by her.

(I am not special, the military and emergency services have the option of how they want it presented. Mine was done with no fuss)
  • wmcf123 said:
    AndyG said:
    I think the vast majority of people appreciate what the queen has done for the country and when the time comes it will be a sad period indeed. 
    I would agree with you in theory, other than to query what might be better .  It’s not like the rest of the world does especially well with elected leaders. 
    Mate if anything I'm in favour of a Monarchy! I know for sure I prefer it to the other options. What I meant was the Queen has been there so long and done such a fantastic job it is nearly impossible to follow her. Plus in todays society I'm not sure the public are willing to accept the current system once she has gone. The bad press that has occured since the Fergie days and into todays Andrew, harry stories have eroded alot of respect I think
  • They would get my vote too, perhaps adding Nelson Mandela
  • I hope she continues for years.