Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton Athletic vs Doncaster Rovers | Saturday 30th October 2021 | Match Preview

Comments

• Sage said:
    Writing previews have just got a whole lot easier, aye @ForeverAddickted
    Haha, was actually going to post similar mate...

It really is easier to write a Preview off the back of a Sunderland-like result
  • edited October 2021
    I've lost count of our false dawns over the last few years. Hopefully this time is different but I'm sure I've said the same thing numerous times before. 
  • Time to sink this thread.

The OS says that we are playing Accrington Stanley again ... and, of course, the OS is the fount of all knowledge.
  • 1-1 and hoping (expecting) to be proved totally wrong 
  • convincing win, valley buzzing, jacko moves a step closer to the permanent job, we start to climb the table and look like a playoff contender 
  • Doncaster are yet to get a point away from home this season, it should be nothing less than 3 points
  • just looked at fixtures - win this and we then have 3 season defining home matches coming up - rotherham, ipswich and plymouth - win those and anything is still possible 
  • Sponsored links:

• No Gunter on the bench FA, I would be surprised. Otherwise always enjoy reading this article each week
  • Really need a mute/block function on here.
  • ross1 said:
    No Gunter on the bench FA, I would be surprised. Otherwise always enjoy reading this article each week
    He wasn't on the bench last time out. 

To be honest I made no changes to the 18 apart from Pearce in for Lavelle, with Souare on the bench instead - Wouldnt be surprised if its one of him, Gunter or even Elewere that take that available space now. 
  • edited October 2021
    First time in a while I'm looking forward to Saturdays again! Hopefully we can kick on from beating the oompah loompahs Sunderland! 

2-1 Charlton - Washington & Lavelle
    Sadly I don't think we will see Lavelle this side of Christmas.
    Has he taken a break then ? Strange  that as soon as Adkins goes the injuries start over.
    Let’s not start this. It was boring enough when Bowyer was in charge. 
    I was pointing out a strange coincidence.  Whst is wrong with that ?
    It might be a coincidence if nobody was injured under Adkins, but that’s far from the truth.

It’s been one game and Lavelle went off after a collision with a Sunderland player. For the most part, the players looked much fitter.
  • Dave Rudd said:
    Time to sink this thread.

The OS says that we are playing Accrington Stanley again ... and, of course, the OS is the fount of all knowledge.

All fixed now ... but next time someone says 'WIOTOS' ...
  • Amazing what a week does, finally excited to go to football again!
  • Dave Rudd said:
    Dave Rudd said:
    Time to sink this thread.

All fixed now ... but next time someone says 'WIOTOS' ...
    Hardly fixed, the first paragraph says Tuesdays game. Someone really ought to read what goes out.
  • Given Doncaster's result and performance last week they have to be treated with the same respect & caution afforded the mackems.
    With only Lavelle (as far as we know) added to the injury list then the first XI picks itself, as above.  Lavelle's absence I think brings Gunter into the matchday 18, cos he's the only other pro with any sort of experience at the back
    Arter if fit might be preferable to Watson.
    A win is badly needed but Doncaster's league position is no guarantee they're a soft touch as Cambridge and Cheltenham have just experienced.
    Every ounce of effort, concentration and will demonstrated in Sunderland needs to be repeated on Saturday.
    A home win will be cheered to the rafters and Jacko's stock will rise still further but it only guarantees a bigger gap over the bottom 2.  Progress to 20th and above will require sustained quality and improving standards at levels not even glimpsed a week ago
  • Looking forward to visiting a more upbeat Valley to get behind JJ and the boys.

Following the season 'reboot', I am much more optimistic that we are now heading in the right direction.

COYA!
  • Sponsored links:

• A lot of understood but possibly misplaced optimism imo. 

Fingers crossed you're all right. 
  • Dazzler21 said:
    A lot of understood but possibly misplaced optimism imo. 

Think it's more about the quality of opposition more than anything else. 

Doncaster have 0 points away so far this season from 7 away games. 
  • Dazzler21 said:

It would be the Charlton way to help them out with that…
  • Dazzler21 said:

Nailed on we won't win.
  • 2-1 Doncaster.....Two 30 yard diagonal passes to their left winger targeting our RB who cuts in and beats our RB and scores with a worldy shot into the top right corner from 18 yards.....  
  • Why is Alfie Doughety still listed in the first team? Why is Deji Elewere not listed? Who proof reads the content?
  • I'm a lot less confident now after losing Lavelle. Team's know our weaknesses and go at them hard. Let's hope we can outdo them before it gets to that.
  • DOUCHER said:
    just looked at fixtures - win this and we then have 3 season defining home matches coming up - rotherham, ipswich and plymouth - win those and anything is still possible 
    Need to win this even more so, if those are the next 3 to visit. 

Tougher game than Sunderland as the pressure is on. 2-0 Charlton
  • 50/50 about the result.

History has shown too often we can surprise beating "top" teams and then surprise again losing against lower opposition next time out. It`s been a Charlton thing for years.

Don't like the fact that Donny have no points on the road this season and they have also shown a positive change in form in their last 2 results.

In our favour we now have JJ at the helm and he was able to totally transform our performance last week.

If we are caught out in the first half I hope he can read the riot act at half time to get the result we all want by full time.

Definitely do not want Donny to score first which on pre JJ performances has burst our balloon.

COYRs 3 points please and another impressive performance for the boss.

• If we turn up with the desire to close down, prevent cross and shots, win the 60/40s, put our head in where it hurts and help our team mates out we will win.  If we don't we won't win.

No one is so awful you can dial a win in, no one is so good we can't beat them.

I predict the former tomorrow and a 2 goal win, either 2-0 or 3-1.