Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Upgrade of Windows 10 to 11

Hi,

Win updates tell me that my laptop is ok to upgrade but that some windows 10 features are not available
in Win 11 and that certain apps and features may have additional requirements....maybe just tech talk
but that alone is not tempting me to push the button.

Anyway, was just wondering if anyone has actually taken the plunge ? and if you have had any problems? 

For instance, I quite like the idea of having the 'pins' on the start screen and integrated virus & threat
protection so would'nt want to lose that...

if you have upgraded, your review/comments would be v.much appreciated.

Thanks.

Comments

• edited October 2021
    I have a couple of month old desktop. I have upgraded to win 11 on it and frankly, so far have noticed very few differences. BUT a MMORTS game I play on my laptop has warned that it is not yet compatible with 11 and for the moment you should stick with Win 10 to avoid "technical issues" with the game's operation. So it is possible that it is not a good idea to be an early adaptor.
  • cafcfan said:
    I have a couple of month old desktop. I have upgraded to win 11 on it and frankly, so far have noticed very few differences. BUT a game I play on my laptop has warned that it is not yet compatible with 11 and for the moment you should stick with Win 10 to avoid "technical issues" with the game's operation. So it is possible that it is not a good idea to be an early adaptor.
    Thanks.....yeh, I've seen a few Youtube videos which don't exactly give a positive review,  so maybe
     worth waiting. .. just wanna get reviews from people on CL I can trust...cheers & thanks again.
  • Bump.

Just wondering about jumping before Microsoft push me on this?

Any views from the tecchies on the upgrade to W11.  I'm not a gamer just usual stuff Office, bit of video editing  etc.

TIA

• Sneaking in here to find out if anyone knows how to make a windows bootable usb on a mac (have an old PC that I am trying to resurrect but was completely wiped by it's previous owner), tried googling but too many different solutions and none have worked. 

Have tried downloading 10 & 11 .iso files but they are too big to then put on the USB (despite it being 64gb and the files being 5.5gb?!)
  • Have you tried ebay?
  • cafcfan said:
    I have a couple of month old desktop. I have upgraded to win 11 on it and frankly, so far have noticed very few differences. BUT a MMORTS game I play on my laptop has warned that it is not yet compatible with 11 and for the moment you should stick with Win 10 to avoid "technical issues" with the game's operation. So it is possible that it is not a good idea to be an early adaptor.
    Update on this. Initially after switching to Win 11 the aforementioned game crashed all the time on a high-end desktop with an i7 and decent RAM but worked fine on an i5 laptop! (Both using the Steam distribution service). But those problems now seem to be largely ironed out, so if there are any waverers, I'd get on and do the upgrade.

Dazzler21 said:
    Sneaking in here to find out if anyone knows how to make a windows bootable usb on a mac (have an old PC that I am trying to resurrect but was completely wiped by it's previous owner), tried googling but too many different solutions and none have worked. 

Have tried downloading 10 & 11 .iso files but they are too big to then put on the USB (despite it being 64gb and the files being 5.5gb?!)
    Just a thought. But you could try loading Linux Minx OS to the Mac. This should be pretty straightforward. Linux Mint uploading instructions are quite easy to understand.  Once that is up and running, perhaps you could partition your drive and use Mint to upload Windows.  You could then run both OSs side-by-side depending how the mood takes you. You never know, though, you might decide you like Mint so much that you won't switch. I used it perfectly happily for years but moved back to Windows because of some game compatibility issues which I could not solve using the various emulators available.