Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

CAFC Museum says thankyou for Sam Bartram

edited October 2021 in General Charlton
Today on our way up to Sunderland museum trustees @killerjerrylee @charltonnick and myself called into Boldon Villa C.A.F.C the Northern Premier League side where both Sam Bartram and Jack Shreeves began their careers before signing for the Addicks. 

Following a flurry of emails we were able to sponsor their 'main' stand that now bears the museum logo, the floodlights were installed a decade ago by big Sam's family and everywhere in the most welcoming clubhouse were Addicks related memorabilia. 

Each year the 'Sam Bartam Cup' is played against local rivals South Shields and the ties between us have been rekindled almost 90 years on. 

We were met by their chairman, groundsman and manager and given a tour of the ground and clubhouse. Boldon were promoted last year to the 6th tier of football, after 125 continual years in the Wearside League! 

There pitch is as good as anything we have played on this season and they offered it to our first team squad to train on in the future! 

Beers were had, stories were swapped, differing play off memories discussed and we hope to return the favour and get them down to the Valley later this season. 

A few pictures of our trip (and the excellent Ship ISIS Real Ale Pub we are in now if your coming up tomorrow its worth a visit). 

Comments

• Great post 
  • What does the CAFC in their name mean? Surely not Charlton?
  • Nice thread.    Cheers for posting.
  • iainment said:
    What does the CAFC in their name mean? Surely not Charlton?
    Colliery?
  • Brilliant - well done!! 
  • edited October 2021
    Thanks, but I'm not sure if that's definitely the answer.
  • Superb initiative 
  • Sponsored links:

• iainment said:
    Colliery?
    Community Association

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2021–22_Northern_Football_League#Division_Two
  • The lengths those boys go to in order to serve the history of this club! Well done and praying for a Jackson performance across the side today.
  • Proper football.

Well done everyone involved. 
  • Outstanding work, once again reiterates
     why we support this wonderful football club.
  • Sorry to be pedantic, but they're at step 6 of the non-league pyramid, rather than tier 6 of English football, which is 4 divisions higher.

It takes a huge amount of effort to keep football running at that level, so hats off to them. 
  • Was Sam always a goalkeeper for Boldon as he fancied himself as an outfield player. I'm fairly sure he had a trial with someone at wing half.
    Possibly Reading? 
  • Sponsored links:

• edited October 2021
    This is brilliant 👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻
    Is there anything else we can do to help them?
    Do they have a membership? I’d be happy to pay an annual membership to help.
  • Bloody marvellous, well done all. Cheered me up no end after all the tosh we have been putting up with recently at our club.
  • SE7toSG3 said:
    iainment said:
    Their full team name is Boldon Villa Community Association Football Club. 

Promotion for them has come at a financial cost, the are entirely volunteer run with no 'owner' as such.

It's the same pitch that they used in 1892 when formed and the high wooded banks that surround it are all that remain from the pithead/coal seam that Sam B used to work in (as did the current chairman and secretary until it closed in 1982). 

Their furthest away game this year is to Carlisle and they hold raffles to raise funds to hire a coach. 

It's a £5 admission, average gate 150 and they have a striker Levi someone, local lad who earns £20 a game and has bagged 21 goals in 13 games so far this season! 

Anyway, I have 4-5 pin badges they gave us to pass on to any Addicks that collect, drop me a line if you want one and I will sort something out. 

Boldon is around 10 minutes drive from Sunderland so next time we are up here perhaps we could take a few to their social club and put some money across their bar, we would be guaranteed a warm welcome. 
    Thank you. What a great name for a football club.
  • Wow, I would have come with you if I’d known about this. What a great thing to do @SE7toSG3 !
  • edited October 2021
    JamesSeed said:
    Wow, I would have come with you if I’d known about this. What a great thing to do @SE7toSG3 !
    That’s why you didn’t know about this…

:-) 

Jokes aside, I’m sure they’d be quite a few interested in taking in a visit / game one time we are up the North East 
  • That looks great. Nice-looking pub too.
  • I don't supposed the museum have any photos of the topping out party held in the Valley club for the finishing of Valiant House and Sam Bartram close? 
    Sam was invited to it, my dad worked on this project and I've seen a photo of it a long time ago, don't know where it is now.
  • I don't supposed the museum have any photos of the topping out party held in the Valley club for the finishing of Valiant House and Sam Bartram close? 
    Sam was invited to it, my dad worked on this project and I've seen a photo of it a long time ago, don't know where it is now.
    Not that we're aware of but we have dozens of scrapbooks that might have them.

What was the date?
    Not that we're aware of but we have dozens of scrapbooks that might have them.

What was the date?
    76ish