Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Bowyer progress at Birmingham

Comments

• Wonder if Aneke will be available on loan in January. Was worth a punt for Birmingham but not good enough to step up to the championship 
  • LB's school of management. Aneke will do what he did in L1 in the Championship, just because "it's me".
  • Aneke hardly played for Bowyer in the Championship for us for one reason or another, whereas Leko and Bonne did

Bringing in Deeney just added another aging and not very mobile striker to their squad, was that really what they needed? 
  • mendonca said:
    LB's school of management. Aneke will do what he did in L1 in the Championship, just because "it's me".
    I questioned previously why LB signed him. Last night he replaced one lump, Jutkiewicz, with another (Deeney) but left Aneke and Hogan on the bench. 

Birmingham bizarrely netted five times at Luton and that is as many as they've scored in all of their other 12 games put together and taking into account added time, the reality is that they haven't actually scored now for some 580 minutes. One can only imagine what Golfie would be saying if we went almost 10 hours without finding the back of the net!!!!
  • Wonder if Aneke will be available on loan in January. Was worth a punt for Birmingham but not good enough to step up to the championship 
    Yup. A little cheeky loan bid in January should be on the cards. 
    Might be worth a go....but Tommy has just said the players aren't fit enough, so Aneke might not fit the bill!
  • Wondering if Lee wants to come back to Charlton so he can learn off of Jacko 😂 
    I think some of you have short memories......we loaned FROM them Leko. Don't be surprised seeing him being recalled in January but not getting anyone back. That could really leave us up shit creek. 
    I think some of you have short memories......we loaned FROM them Leko. Don't be surprised seeing him being recalled in January but not getting anyone back. That could really leave us up shit creek. 
    Unless we buy him

Certainly Leko seems personally happier with us than at Birmingham, though I imagine they will pay a lot more
    The fact we have loaned Leko from them wouldn't make the slightest difference in trying to get another player from them - assuming of course they don't want the second player and were happy to see him move on.

FWIW, I don't think there's a hope in hell they would want to loan Aneke back to us. Or that he would want to come. And I also don't think Leko will be going back - he didn't pull many trees up in his spell there and I suspect a few goals scored for us in League 1 is hardly going to mean they want him back in a hurry.
  • Sponsored links:

The only issue with that theory is how Leko has previously performed for Birmingham:

41 games
    zero goals
    zero assists

It's actually worse than Aneke's record in the Championship. Therein. perhaps, lies the reason why they were happy to let him go 
    The only issue with that theory is how Leko has previously performed for Birmingham:

41 games
    zero goals
    zero assists

It's actually worse than Aneke's record in the Championship. Therein. perhaps, lies the reason why they were happy to let him go 
    But if you compare Aneke to Leko overall in the championship...
    Aneke
    P30, GS2, A2 (1GS per 15)
    Leko
    P72, GS5, A5 (14.4GS per 15)

Difference is Leko's played all across the pitch in those games. (Except defence).
  • I’m willing to bet Bow won’t be in charge at the start of next season.
  • Dazzler21 said:
    Wonder if Aneke will be available on loan in January. Was worth a punt for Birmingham but not good enough to step up to the championship 

41 games
    zero goals
    zero assists

But if you compare Aneke to Leko overall in the championship...
    Aneke
    P30, GS2, A2 (1GS per 15)
    Leko
    P72, GS5, A5 (14.4GS per 15)

Difference is Leko's played all across the pitch in those games. (Except defence).
    Leko's record was, indeed, a lot better for us than for Birmingham. My point was more questioning why Birmingham and Bowyer in particular would want him back when he hasn't had a goal or assist in 41 appearances for them. I'm also struggling to think of any players that Bowyer has welcomed back once he's sent them out on loan. Bowyer doesn't want someone back who he doesn't think will fit his system which, let's face it, is all about conceding possession, stopping the opposition from scoring and hoping that his side nicks one at the other end.

But, perhaps, the most telling thing is what Leko himself said on his return:

“I just feel right at home here, the whole club, the fans, everyone is just welcoming. I really love it here, I love playing here."

It might be a dig at Birmingham or simply an expression of the fact that the Club and specifically the likes of Tracy Leaburn actually made him feel wanted. 
  • It's interesting that both Adkins and Bowyer got "new manager" bounce at their new clubs last season

Bowyer's continued for a few weeks at the beginning of this season, but that good start has faded badly now
  • It's interesting that both Adkins and Bowyer got "new manager" bounce at their new clubs last season

Bowyer's continued for a few weeks at the beginning of this season, but that good start has faded badly now
    Yeah, it is so interesting. Guess it shows that over the long term coaching and tactics far outweigh the ability for a new manager to get an extra % out of the players. 

I do hope JJ has some new ideas (or is allowed to coach his new ideas).
  • Sponsored links:

• Nice statistical analysis AA
  • Birmingham score two goals to beat Swansea at home yesterday. LB will be relieved to end the drought.
  • Birmingham score two goals to beat Swansea at home yesterday. LB will be relieved to end the drought.
    Amazing stats from that game. Birmingham had 15 shots with 6 of those on target whereas Swansea had 7 shots with just the one on target. But here's the thing. Birmingham only had 28% possession!
  • edited November 2021
    Three wins in a row has turned things around a bit up there. Pushed themselves away from the drop and into the play-off chasing pack, in 13th but only two points off 6th.
  • I see that Chuks spent several hours at the local hospital today, bless him.

Those splinters were starting to turn nasty.....