Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Odd behaviour on a Thursday.

edited October 2021 in General Charlton
For the past five or six weeks my dog Bertie has been behaving oddly, but only on a Thursday morning, and its doing my head in.

He wakes me up (today it was at 6.45), by jumping on me in bed and insists on me going downstairs to the back door. He doesn't want to go out. Having earlier set my alarm for 7.45 to put the bins out (they come on a Thursday) I figure I might as well do it now since I'm up. He goes back upstairs and watches from an upstairs window as I gather the bags and go out the back gate and place them at the collection point.

He has been watching, but reappears by the back door when I get there. I go in and after giving him a treat go back to bed. Bertie now is asleep next to the bed. And I have turned off my alarm.

This behaviour has been happening for five or six weeks, but only on a Thursday. I am thinking it must be coincidental that its just on a bin day that he does this, its a little bit spooky but he cant be that intelligent can he? Then I remember he did the same on the Thursday of Bank Holiday week when they come a day later on Friday, and realise he's not that clever after all.

Had anyone else got a pet who does this sort of thing?

Comments

• Maybe others have put their bins out first, he hears that?
  • We once looked after a neighbour's dog who would howl at the News at Ten theme like a werewolf at full moon. Completely placid the rest of the time, this tune would always set him off.
  • Stig said:
    We once looked after a neighbour's dog who would howl at the News at Ten theme like a werewolf at full moon. Completely placid the rest of the time, this tune would always set him off.
    I think dogs howling like that signifies a time the pack/family are together so maybe the neighbours sat to watch the news every night. 
  • What will happen when the clocks go back ??  :)
  • What will happen when the clocks go back ??  :)
    The dustmen will start an hour later and @Halix ‘s dog will have an extra 60 minutes wait for the sound of them and their dustcart waking the neighbourhood 
  • Our old dog used to woof along to the theme tune from coronation street.
  • My dog barks at certain adverts - usually ones with some kind of animals on them......the insurance one where the woman crashes into the pet shop is a particular favourite.

He has definitely learned the music to the relevant adverts as he will come running in, ready to bark as soon as the jingle starts up.
  • Sponsored links:

• Hal1x said:
    For the past five or six weeks my dog Bertie has been behaving oddly, but only a Thursday morning.

He wakes me up (today it was at 6.45), by jumping on me in bed and insists on me going downstairs to the back door. He doesn't want to go out. Having earlier set my alarm for 7.45 to put the bins out (they come on a Thursday) I figure I might as well do it now since I'm up. He watches from an upstairs window as I gather the bags and go out the back door and place them at the collection point.

He has been watching, but reappears by the back door when I get there. I go in and after giving him a treat go back to bed. Bertie is asleep now next to the bed. And I have turned off my alarm.

This behaviour has been happening for five or six weeks, but only on a Thursday. I am thinking it must be coincidental that its just on a bin day that he does this, its a little bit spooky but he cant be that intelligent can he? Then I remember he did the same on Bank Holiday week when they come a day later and realise he's not that clever after all.

Had anyone else got a pet who does this sort of thing?

Yes, he can be that intelligent and he's probably picked up on the routine somewhere and there's something there that is a trigger for his behaviour.   Ours recognises when the dustman drive past to start at the end of our road so he knows they are coming. 
  • Maybe others have put their bins out first, he hears that?
    No they put it out previous night, we hold ours back because Foxes go for his chicken carcasses.
  • edited October 2021
    What will happen when the clocks go back ??  :)
    The bin men arrive about an hour or two after all this, and anyways Bertie hasn't got a watch.
  • when he goes out to use the outside facilities he gets a treat anyway, I'm a soft touch.
  • Hal1x said:
    What will happen when the clocks go back ??  :)
    The bin men arrive about an hour or two later, and anyways Bertie hasn't got a watch.
    Not even a do(i)gital watch?

(Poor joke I know)
  • Our old dog used to woof along to the theme tune from coronation street.
    Years back my girlfriend at the time's mum used to watch Coronation Street and then feed the dog, so basically as soon as the credits at the end went, he'd hear it and would shoot out from wherever he was in the kitchen and barrel towards the kitchen.
  • Sounds very suspicious.

Are you sure Bertie’s not having an affair and that his strange behaviour is not just a diversionary tactic?
  • Macronate said:
    Sounds very suspicious.

Are you sure Bertie’s not having an affair and that his strange behaviour is not just a diversionary tactic?
    No......OP's wife is having the affair & wakes the dog up when she slips out early to the NDN. 
  • Apparently, a full moon always makes animals/people behave a bit strange.

Random theory for you 
  • Sponsored links:

• edited October 2021
    Bertie can hear when the Bin men are 10 streets away because of his amazing hearing range which is superior to Homo sapiens; plus he may check the Calendar to make sure it's a Thursday and he wants to make sure that you remembered that's it's General rubbish, Cardboard and food recycling this week as you messed up a while back and put out the plastic recycling by Mistake.

Bertie isn't just your best friend but your PAw as well.  He truly is your eyes and ears.
  • Bertie can hear when the Bin men are 10 streets away because of his amazing hearing range which is superior to Homo sapiens; plus he may check the Calendar to make sure it's a Thursday and he wants to make sure that you remembered that's it's General rubbish, Cardboard and food recycling this week as you messed up a while back and put out the plastic recycling by Mistake.

Bertie isn't just your best friend but your PAw as well.  He truly is your eyes and ears.
    Actually he did pee on the next door neighbours garden refuse bag just to point out it was the fortnightly garden waste collection day, how considerate.
  • Very clever dog. They are amazing creatures. 
  • Ours will wait by the fridge at 0930 for a piece of sausage the size of your thumbnail, Bailey’s medication is put inside a piece and the others have learnt if they attend the fridge they get a piece. Bailey has also learnt he can stay away from the crush in the kitchen and my wife will come to him because he has to take the tablet. Mealtimes is a given and they all know that no one gets out of bed before 0900. Their body clocks are exceptionally accurate 👍
  • Bertie ties up @Hal1x with the bins before checking the results at Crayford.

• When we have our family's cavachon, Jasper here, at 7pm sharp, he'll sit up in front of me , alert with ears pricked, staring at me for as long as it takes for me to look at the clock & realise it's Bonio Time ! 

Oh and reading about pooches that howl when a certain piece of music plays , our dear old cocker spaniel, Oliver, used to do so when the first notes of Dr Who were heard. 
  • edited October 2021
    Just to update all those waiting with baited breath, yes he did it again, which is just as well as I had completely forgotten it was bin-day. He did allow me an extra half hour lie in though.

I wont keep posting on his actions, just assume its business as usual.