Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Ward on Wolves 'unwanted' list

edited April 2009 in General Charlton
http://www.expressandstar.com/2009/04/29/wolves-start-the-clearout/

“As regards Charlton and Darren, it might depend on what they can afford to offer him in League One. But he’ll enjoy it there because it’s not far from where he lives, and he’s done well for them.”

It’s thought Wolves would want fees for all three players. Potter cost £250,000 and Ward £500,000.

Discuss.

Comments

• good sign him

lets have a whip round
  • would like him to stay but not for that price, he has looked ok but I get the feeling for that much (if we can even afford that on one player) there must be someone better and/or younger around
  • League 1 he'll be quality but I doubt we can afford him (rumoured wages).

To be fair - he's been good since he has came in.
  • If we get taken over go for it, otherwise I doubt we can afford him.
  • Dazzler agrees - if we are taken over then sign him up! if not bring the price and his wages down and it's a done deal!
  • He'll be a championship player next season.
  • I don't think they are saying their looking for £500k, rather that's what he cost when they signed him.

I can't imagine they'd want much as they have to give him a 50% pay increase if they can't get him off their books. Not sure if we would be able to compete with that 50% increase though which may stop us signing him, which is a shame because I think he's our best defender.
  • Ok, look at it another way.

It has been rumoured that Ward's wages are what we would intend to cover for the whole back four next season (he got a payrise on Wolves getting promoted).

Even in the best case scenario, the best we could possibly offer him would be half his current wages. Now of course, it all depends on who else comes in for him. But he is a decent, Championship defender, and i'm sure there will be a few Championship clubs in for him.
  • AFKA is spot on imho
  • I'd love him to stay. Centre half is a positions where club-heroes are made, I'd be made up if he was to become our latest and League 1 would be tailor-made for Dazza.

Sadly for us he's Championship quality and if the price tag is anywhere near correct it scuppers any deal.
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]Ok, look at it another way.

It has been rumoured that Ward's wages are what we would intend to cover for the whole back four next season (he got a payrise on Wolves getting promoted).

Even in the best case scenario, the best we could possibly offer him would be half his current wages. Now of course, it all depends on who else comes in for him. But he is a decent, Championship defender, and i'm sure there will be a few Championship clubs in for him.

Exactly. Far better clubs than us will be in for him. We'd have more chance with someone like Sodje.
  • [cite]Posted By: C_f_W[/cite]I'd love him to stay. Centre half is a positions where club-heroes are made, I'd be made up if he was to become our latest and League 1 would be tailor-made for Dazzler21.

Sadly for us he's Championship quality and if the price tag is anywhere near correct it scuppers any deal.

Seriously that's a bad idea. I'm Matt Holland height with the ability of a sausage!
  • edited April 2009
    [cite]Posted By: Dazzler21[/cite]

Seriously that's a bad idea. I'm Matt Holland height with the ability of a sausage!

Steady, Dazzo.

You'll upset Suzi .......

;o)
  • ha ha ha!

forgot to add todorov good looks!
  • Wonder if they owe us anything from the Iwellumo signing - a promotion clause - that could be written off against the Ward deal??
  • [cite]Posted By: Dazzler21[/cite]ha ha ha!

forgot to add AFKA's good looks!

You're starting to worry me Dazzler.

Must be Spring, and the sap's rising

;o)
  • oi! old man Oggy.

Careful i think i might cry... (no offence to AFKA's looks)
  • edited April 2009
    The board have offered Ward £2000 cash in his bin a month and the chance to earn a 'Palace Medal'.

Chappell, RM and Sir Maurice Hatter:
  • He's a loan player so not committed to Charlton.
  • Some of our managers should've been committed.
  • Sponsored links:

• I quite like Ward but that's it. He was positionally sound but where did he really impress? He never sustains form, and is always in and out of teams. We need bigger, stronger and more dominant characters. Can't see the point of wasting at least 500,000 grand on wages on a just about better than average defender. Hudson in the champ anyone?
  • It would be great to have him, but its unlikely to happen because of the cash involved.
  • I don't see why we can't have him, if we can manage 1 million for Hudson, highly unlikely I know, but we can then spend half on Wards and the other half elsewhere. However, I fear it all depends on how many current players we can keep and how much we can get for the ones we sell who are still under contract.
  • [cite]Posted By: ColinTat[/cite]I quite like Ward but that's it. He was positionally sound but where did he really impress? He never sustains form, and is always in and out of teams. We need bigger, stronger and more dominant characters. Can't see the point of wasting at least 500,000 grand on wages on a just about better than average defender. Hudson in the champ anyone?

He's always been solid in the games I've seen, seems pretty consistent to me, more than Hudson is anyway. I've not seen him in every game but I've not heard of him making big mistakes either.

Are we really going to find centre backs as good as him defensively, plus bigger, stronger and more dominant? I don't really think we will while we're in League One.
  • £1m for Hudson? Who would give us that?

And if Hudson is worth £1m then Ward must be worth more.

Ward's wages, as stated, are going to be the real problem so unless he's willing to take a big cut or we loan him for a season with Wolves paying some of the wages I don't see how we can do it without a takeover.

He's a decent CH at CCC level and someone like Watford or QPR will most likely take him on
  • edited April 2009
    As Ward still has one year of his Wolves' contract to run, presumably they have to pay him off if they want to offload him. Couple that with the fact that he seems to live in this area, and that may be enough to persuade him to take a one-year deal from us, maybe on relatively low wages, but with a decent incentive bonus if we gain promotion at the first attempt. Then, if we go up, the one-year deal becomes extendable, on improved (Championship) terms next season.

In fact, I wonder if this general strategy (lowish basic one-year deals with big promotion incentives, then options to renew on improved terms) might not be a bad approach for many of the squad overall?

As Henry says, the issue with Ward might be the lure of any Championship club in the area. This is where the influence of the Chairman/CEO/Manager combination comes in.
  • This is where the influence of the Chairman/CEO/Manager combination comes in.
    That's the end of that then :-)
  • [cite]Posted By: ColinTat[/cite]I quite like Ward but that's it. He was positionally sound but where did he really impress? He never sustains form, and is always in and out of teams. We need bigger, stronger and more dominant characters. Can't see the point of wasting at least 500,000 grand on wages on a just about better than average defender. Hudson in the champ anyone?

but would Vidic, Ferdinand, Evans, Toure etc drop down to League 1. Bloody hell, in League 1 Ward would be outstanding.
  • [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]

but would Vidic, Ferdinand, Evans, Toure etc drop down to League 1. Bloody hell, in League 1 Ward would be outstanding.

So would Vidic, Ferdinand, Evans and Toure .......

;o)
  • I was very very impressed with Ward in the four games that I saw him. In fact I didn't see him get beaten in the air once! Coupled with great positional sense and composure on the ball. He's one that we must try to hang on to.