Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Final reserve game tonight?

Final reserve team game of the season tonight (home to Brighton). I've been told by a source at Ebbsfleet United that we aren't renewing our deal to use Stonebridge Road next season. Might mean we are looking to play somewhere cheaper, but I fear it more likely means we are scrapping the reserve team altogether for budgetary reasons. Hence all the fuss about keeping the academy - we don't need both youth AND reserve teams, given they'll likely be the same squads in both next year. So anyone who wants to catch a Charlton reserve game, tonight is probably your last chance for a while (and Manure-Arsenole will be on in the bar).

Comments

• Hmm, interesting about the ground/team.
  • Dartford maybe, Princes Park, the womens team play there already, and its far superior in terms of facilities, access and location?
  • I'd start going to a few more then!
  • Could be right on Dartford.

F&H, you may be right but that is a hell of a leap from maybe not renewing at Stonebridge Rd to scrapping the reserve team.
  • Just speculating, Henry. I'm also lead to believe Ebbsfleet are hoping the persuade Millwall to play their reserve games at Stonebridge if they go up. Millwall current play home reserve games at the Den, and I guess that's what we might do next season to save money (playing them at the Valley, that is, not the Den - that would be silly). I guess that's quite common in the lower divisions, and one reason why league one/two pitches always look so crappy.
  • The reason we didn't play them at the Valley is that it was cheaper to use Ebbsfleet.

Maybe part of the cost cutting to save money but as a much bigger stadium it's much more expensive to open.
  • Arsenal use Barnet (or did)
    Spurs use St Albans (that still baffles me)
    Man Utd use Bury I think
    Liverpool ???????
    Chelsea, Kingstonians anyone?
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]The reason we didn't play them at the Valley is that it was cheaper to use Ebbsfleet.

Maybe part of the cost cutting to save money but as a much bigger stadium it's much more expensive to open.[/quote]

Or play them at Sparrows Lane? We can't really be making anything on the gate anyway, why not play them behind closed doors?
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: DA9[/cite]
    Chelsea, Kingstonians anyone?[/quote]

Chelsea play theirs at Brentford
    The Fans Stadium already has two teams playing there now (AFC Wimbledon and Kingstonian)
  • [cite]Posted By: DA9[/cite]Liverpool ???????

Halliwell Jones Stadium
    Warrington
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: floydandharvey[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]The reason we didn't play them at the Valley is that it was cheaper to use Ebbsfleet.

Maybe part of the cost cutting to save money but as a much bigger stadium it's much more expensive to open.

Or play them at Sparrows Lane? We can't really be making anything on the gate anyway, why not play them behind closed doors?

I think they have to be played at a "proper" ground with fences etc by league rules but I may be wrong.

Still, it's a valid concern about the reserve team and where it plays.

Something to ask the Supporters' Director Fans' Forum
  • Palace play at Bromley (as Charlton did many years ago)
  • maybe they might be able to get a tie in with Thamesmead Town once there new ground is built would be local and top draw facilities.

link to thamesmead new ground details.
  • Could we go back to playing at Welling?

There's a few clubs that don't have proper teams, only play friendlies when needed. It could happen but I think we'll keep it. They won't expect u18s to play for both sides each week, and they won't play too many u16s at once either.
  • [cite]Posted By: DA9[/cite]Arsenal use Barnet (or did)
    Man Utd use Bury I think
    Liverpool ???????

Spurs use Leyton Orient
  • [cite]Posted By: shirty5[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: DA9[/cite]Arsenal use Barnet (or did)
    Man Utd use Bury I think
    Liverpool ???????

Spurs use Leyton Orient

Really....remember going to St Albans a few years back when we had to win to clinch the combination title...............we lost
  • [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]Could we go back to playing at Welling?

Do Erith & Belvedere still play at Welling? If so then 3 teams using that pitch all season won't leave it in the best of conditions.
  • or the Valley ;o)
  • [cite]Posted By: DA9[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: shirty5[/cite]
    Man Utd use Bury I think
    Liverpool ???????

Spurs use Leyton Orient

Really....remember going to St Albans a few years back when we had to win to clinch the combination title...............we lost

Me too - big tree on the terrace.

Don't think Manure play at Bury any more, as FC United play there.
  • Two more trialists in the side tonight, Cian Hughton - son of Newcastle United coach Chris and Cardiff City striker John Brown.
  • Sponsored links:

• No Solly, hopefully he will start on Sunday.

Hughton also played the other day, must have done enough to earn another chance.
  • [cite]Posted By: Algarveaddick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: DA9[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: shirty5[/cite]
    Man Utd use Bury I think
    Liverpool ???????

Spurs use Leyton Orient

Me too - big tree on the terrace.

Don't think Manure play at Bury any more, as FC United play there.

I remember that tree well, barmy summers night if memory serves.