Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

ULEZ Checker

Comments

• Man with the congestion charge that will put some vehicles upto £27.50 a day ! Are vintage cars exempt ?
  • AndyG said:
    Man with the congestion charge that will put some vehicles upto £27.50 a day ! Are vintage cars exempt ?
    Yes, mine’s over 40 years old and is exempt 
  • An awful lot of cars will get scrapped or sold for peanuts - especially diesels...
  • Wont be long before we are being charged for the air that we breathe.
  •  checked our 100% Electric car a few weeks ago .... and we have to pay , rang TFL and was told we have to register it for £10 , 
    There will a few people caught out , so if you have a electric motor , dont assume its all ok , check it out . 
  • I have a 64 plated Merc. Just did the ULEZ checker & mine is fine.

I admire the Germans forward planning 😄
  • clb74 said:
    Wont be long before we are being charged for the air that we breathe.

• Addickted said:
    An awful lot of cars will get scrapped or sold for peanuts - especially diesels...
    Or purchased cheaply by the vast majority of motorists in the rest of the Country who don't have to put up with an ULEZ.
    Will defo be some bargains out there if you live outside the ULEZ zone 
  • Sponsored links:

• Addickted said:
    An awful lot of cars will get scrapped or sold for peanuts - especially diesels...
    Or purchased cheaply by the vast majority of motorists in the rest of the Country who don't have to put up with an ULEZ.
    The people who'll suffer most are small businesses with a non compliant van, as the vast majority of vans are diesel and they'll need to get a Euro VI one

By contrast even ancient petrol cars are fine, I have a 2002 Ford Focus which is compliant
  • edited October 2021
    Addickted said:
    The people who'll suffer most are small businesses with a non compliant van, as the vast majority of vans are diesel and they'll need to get a Euro VI one

By contrast even ancient petrol cars are fine, I have a 2002 Ford Focus which is compliant
    In 2018, the French authorities wanted to charge me €2600** to import a 1987 Spanish made Dutch registered Suzuki Samurai 1.3 petrol, and according to a bloke I know who runs a French MOT center,  it's because they're trying to get old motors off the road regardless of fuel type. I could've gone down the route of registering it as a classic car here, but that was still going to cost around €800.

My 2012 C-Class 2.3 diesel estate, that I imported from the UK at the end of 2017, was only €350 odd to import.

**That was all payable to the government and local department (council). Any work and the MOT would be on top of that.

There don't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it
  • Gribbo said:
    Addickted said:

In 2018, the French authorities wanted to charge me €2600** to import a 1987 Spanish made Dutch registered Suzuki Samurai 1.3 petrol, and according to a bloke I know who runs a French MOT center,  it's because they're trying to get old motors off the road regardless of fuel type. I could've gone down the route of registering it as a classic car here, but that was still going to cost around €800.

My 2012 C-Class 2.3 diesel estate, that I imported from the UK at the end of 2017, was only €350 odd to import.

**That was all payable to the government and local department (council). Any work and the MOT would be on top of that.

Just remembering that another French guy I know said it was down to the "Puissence Fiscal", but the Samurai is 6 and I'm sure the Mercedes is 10
  • Gribbo said:
    Addickted said:

The London ULEZ does make sense, as it's basically an anti-diesel scheme, designed to removed all but the newest diesel vehicles from the roads, as they're by far the worst offenders when it comes to air quality (particulates and NOx)

I do quibble with the zone chosen though, as while the North and South circulars might be a convenient boundary, the North circular goes a LOT further out from central London than the South circular. The South circular virtually runs along the Thames in west London!
  • Funny old world. I remember when Petrol first went over a pound a gallon through the government raising the tax on petrol in an effort to get people to convert to more economical diesels.

So what about the people in the zone who own expensive diesel powered motorhomes? Forced to store them out of town? And businesses with perfectly sound diesel vans.....forced to sell and buy newer....crazy place.
  • edited October 2021
    Interesting that my Irish plate (AYZ XXXX) on my 2007 Mini Cooper isn’t recognised using the checker despite it, of course, being properly registered with DVLA on the former LA07…. Vehicle. I wonder how I will ever find out if it is ULEZ compliant then? Feels rather necessary!
  • meldrew66 said:
    Interesting that my Irish plate (AYZ XXXX) on my 2007 Mini Cooper isn’t recognised using the checker despite it, of course, being properly registered with DVLA on the former LA07…. Vehicle. I wonder how I will ever find out if it is ULEZ compliant then? Feels rather necessary!
    Have you tried the proper checker?

https://tfl.gov.uk/modes/driving/check-your-vehicle/
  • Addickted said:
    Yeah this, I’m getting my brother in law to sell mine as he’s down near Canterbury, there will still be a market for non-ULEZ compliant motors.
  • TEL said:
    Funny old world. I remember when Petrol first went over a pound a gallon through the government raising the tax on petrol in an effort to get people to convert to more economical diesels.

So what about the people in the zone who own expensive diesel powered motorhomes? Forced to store them out of town? And businesses with perfectly sound diesel vans.....forced to sell and buy newer....crazy place.
    As the biggest polluters on the road, they are far from ‘perfectly sound’ 
  • TEL said:
    Funny old world. I remember when Petrol first went over a pound a gallon through the government raising the tax on petrol in an effort to get people to convert to more economical diesels.

I wonder how many people within the new zone have diesel powered motor homes. If they have one it should be kept off the road and would only incur the charge at the start and end of a trip.

Businesses have known about the extension of the zone for a long time. Large vehicles are already subject to the Euro VI requirements. Smaller vans qualify as business expense and can be charged against tax. 

Looking from Shooters Hill into Central London during the early days of lockdown showed clear skies because of less polluting vehicles on the road.

I live just outside the south circular and deliberately bought a hybrid 2 years ago. Zero car tax and only liable to the congestion charge if I drive in Central London (which I don't). Toyota now extend the warranty each year provided you have the car serviced.
  • Sponsored links:

• meldrew66 said:
    Same here . I have a private plate on my car and when i input it in it’s saying it’s registered to my old car which I got rid of 8 months ago.
  • Rob7Lee said:
    meldrew66 said:
    Have you tried the proper checker?

https://tfl.gov.uk/modes/driving/check-your-vehicle/
    Aha, yes! Just checked, thank you. Had a scare at first when I chose the ‘non-UK registration’ option (because it is an Irish plate - which is not part of the UK) and it told me the ULEZ charge applied. In a panic, I dug out my registration document which states the car as being ‘UK Registration’ which now makes it exempt. Phew!
  • meldrew66 said:
    Same here . I have a private plate on my car and when i input it in it’s saying it’s registered to my old car which I got rid of 8 months ago.
    Surprised you ain't been pulled up, assuming the police use the same DVLA database 
  • TEL said:

The idea to push for diesels previously was a mistake and a fairly big one. They were essentially focusing solely on carbon emissions rather than all pollutants.its quote obvious that diesels are worse for air quality, all you have to do is look at what comes out the exhaust and you can work that out. 

There is a lot of economic theory behind this scheme and others like it. It's essentially an emissions tax on the worst polluters in concentrated areas of high pollution (although I agree the boundaries are a bit werid). In short the worst polluters get a choice to either pay for the emissions they create (rasing money that will in theory be spend on green initiatives) or change to a lower polluting vehicle. It may also encourage the worst polluters to avoid the area of high pollution whenever possible.

Extending the ULEZ makes sense to me it gives that choice to the individual and you should end up with an efficient outcome. When they proposed extending the congestion charge to the south circular that didn't make sense as there was no choice/alternative. The public transport network isn't good enough in the area you still need a car to get around that effective choice isn't there.
    It's made my mum move from a Diesel to electric, so it's working
  • TEL said:

I know someone with one (not expensive, but not ULEZ compliant). They're exempt for a year I think, then I think most people will pay for the days they drive it which is cheaper than getting new. It means they won't use it for popping down the shops, just for long trips which is the point of it. 
  • rananegra said:
    TEL said:

I know someone with one (not expensive, but not ULEZ compliant). They're exempt for a year I think, then I think most people will pay for the days they drive it which is cheaper than getting new. It means they won't use it for popping down the shops, just for long trips which is the point of it. 
    If you have such a vehicle and use it for say 8 overnight trips a year, that's 16*12.50 = £200 which is a lot cheaper than changing a vehicle

There will be people who live outside the ULEZ (say in Welling or Sidcup) who drive in once or twice a year, again they would probably find it cheaper to just pay the ULEZ
  • Phase 3 will be pushing ULEZ out to the M25. Give Khan a year to produce some PR stats and it will be announced. It's all about the money - just like the Silvertown Tunnel which will enable Khan to toll the Blackwall Tunnel which has always been his ambition.
    Khan’s remit ends at Crayford - beyond that you are into Kent - in fact the Greater London area only gets to the M25 in a few places, so it’s not in his gift to do that