Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

New Job Blues

Just wondered if anyone had any tips or advice they'd be willing to share regarding a situation I'm in at the moment.

Basically due to family circumstances I had to pack in my previous job and find something else. I was happy enough doing what I was doing so I wasn't looking to leave or anything like that, just how things worked out.

I've been at my new place for a bit now and really struggling with it. It's a similar line of work to what I'm used to so the work itself isn't much different. However I'm used to emails and calls flying round and the day going really quickly whereas here it is much slower paced. I know some of that is because I'm new and it will get a little busier as I settle in however I don't think it's ever going to be as fast paced as what I'm used to. 

Initially that's what's attracted me to the role, I thought it might be nice to have a change of pace having been so used to been busy all the time however I'm really struggling with it at the moment.  Find myself dreading going in to work and end up just watching the clock most of the day. The office is much smaller than I'm used to as well and some days it's only me and two other colleagues, there both nice people however we don't have a huge amount in common to talk about other than the usual office pleasantries. Where I used to work we had multiple sites as well so the day would often be broken up by travel, meetings etc whereas with this place being much smaller it is literally one location that I'm in each day, every day.

Just wondered if anyone had been in a similar position? Normally whenever I've switched jobs I've been really excited and hit the ground running but just can't seem to find the motivation for this one.

Comments

• Move to another job.
  • That’s a shame and you have my sympathy. With new jobs it’s more often the case that they seem overwhelming and you slowly get the hang of it, so if you’re bored already that’s not a good sign. I’d give it a few months to see if it improves then start looking again. 
  • Not long after my apprenticeship finished I was transferred against my will from a field job to the office. 

I recall checking the clock when I started at 08:00 and 08:05 and at 08:10.  At a quarter past I decided to make it known that I was unhappy and knocked on my bosses door. He called me in, he was sat behind a desk and there was also a mate in there from my apprenticeship, Phil.  I liked Phil, he'd been there some time and had taken to the job like a duck to water and was quite bemused to see me in there so soon after starting. 

I asked for a private interview with the boss to which he replied, 'Oh come on Raith, we're all friends here, what is it? (It was 1973).  I then blurted out that I couldn't stand it and had to get out - back to a field position.  The slobbish Phil who was by now leaning back against a wall suddenly clutched his sides.  He then began to slide very slowly down said wall, like a demented cowboy who'd been shot.  When he arrived on his backside he rolled over to his side into a fetal position and began convulsing in laughter.  

The interview was not quite how I hoped it would go. When Phil finally recovered he returned to the main office and wasted no time in spreading the news.  I can still see him now wiping tears from his eyes as his shoulders bounced up and down relentlessly. 

Obviously a degree of embarrassment was suffered by yours truly, but at least my message was out there.  It took a number of months for my wishes to come to fruition, but I did get my way in the end.  Sometimes you have to suffer a bit to make things happen.

• Get another job. I handed my notice in at the end of week 2 before because I knew it wasn’t  for me.

the owner made me work most of a 3 month notice period despite me telling him how unhappy I was and what it was doing to my health. My train got me in 45 mins early every day and I would just walk the streets or go for a coffee and just time waste. 

If you don’t like it now, do something, otherwise it will affect your out of work life.
  • Some great advice in here. As somebody who spent 10 years doing the job I didn’t Particularly enjoy I can only say take the plunge and do what makes you happy.

it’s all well and good having money but if you haven’t got happiness you haven’t got anything
  • Yep.....but many years ago. 

I was in Fund management admin when Black Monday hit back in Oct1987. I was looking for my first house & couldn't get a mortgage on the salary I was then on. I asked for a pay rise but was knocked back a couple of times so early 1988 I found a new job with a very prestigious company that offered more money & a mortgage subsidy. After being there less than 2 months I realised I'd been sold a pup. Because if the Crash a few months earlier the company had decided to shelve the launch of some new retail funds, which was the reason I took the job. I literally had nothing to do most days & spent the afternoons in their basement library reading the newspapers. I left within 6 months & manage to negotiate a higher salary for the new job due to having to compensate for the mortgage subsidy. Found out I was on a couple of grand a year more than 3 other team members- which when you are on £15k pa in 1988 is not too bad. 

Never stay in a job you hate. 
  • Been in this position. Leave. 
  • Shouldnt be in a job that you arent keen on. Especially as working is is the bulk of of our day to day life. 

Could be worth asking your current boss for more responsibility in time to get in the thick of it things. 

Otherwise I have to agree with majority, find a new job.  
  • Sponsored links:

• I left a company I was at for 10 years to join a new place which was in Central London in a basement. I knew straight away I'd made a bad decision. I hated it so got a new job and left within 3 months and much happier for it 
  • I get it, I've changed roles before and almost as soon as I've landed my inbuilt danger sensors are going off. Definitely speak to your boss/employer mate before handing any notices in 

What I'll say as well l, if you live your job and earn good money for it you are winning and I reckon in 2% tops of the worlds working population. I like my job now but it is not my passion but to do something I'd do for fun and be paid for it would be eutopia 
  • Anybody that enjoys their job and is happy with their salary should count themselves lucky.
    It must be difficult if you dislike your job and groan every time you get out of bed not looking forward to the next 8 hours, BUT are paid well enough to keep you there.
    I would add that 8 hours is luxury as they say.
    Some jobs don’t have a time limit that has meaning, and with no overtime pay either.
    It is possible to work at something you dislike, but you’re in the unhappy situation to be good at it, and stay with it because it pays the bills.
  • Why not turn  your clock watching / slow periods of work into positives , NA.

Is there an online course, or even an OU one, that you could turn to in these "down times" ? 

Maybe study something that would add to your credentials & as such stand you in good stead in the future,....

.....whilst making the day go faster & giving you a sense of achievement. 

A win win situation.
  • Its easy for people to say jack the job in but things are rarely as simple as that. I've walked out on a company after a couple of weeks because I didn't like the way things were heading but that's a bold move to do and while there is the initial feel good factor that's quickly replaced with oh shit what have I done feeling.

What I would do nowadays, is discuss with my line manager what I want out of the job and see if things could be improved. I like most people develop a role within a job, if that makes sense. Or put another way, try and make the job what you want it to be. It takes a fair bit of time but its a bit more interesting than rolling up each day and doing the same old thing that someone else wants you to do.
  • walked out of a job once after six months. Said cheerio to the receptionist on my way out, she thought I was off to lunch, and didn't go back. This was back in the mid eighties. Walked into a temp job the next day on a six month contract then got a permanent job in which I stayed 26 years. Wouldn't recommend it though if you have financial commitments. It did feel good at the time though.
  • Sponsored links:

• Notts, I found myself in almost this exact situation when I left my last job, except I made the move by my own choice.

I missed my old colleagues, was bored every day, and spent the first month or two trawling through LinkedIn to see if anything else was available. I just felt like I'd made a mistake, and I wasn't a good fit for the new place.

It's been almost 3 years since that, and sticking it out was the best decision I ever made. I've now got colleagues that are genuine mates, I've had opportunities I never thought I could have, and the culture in the company is absolutely superb.

I'd say stick with it a bit longer, sometimes it just a while to gel. Your self interests and care have to come first though, so if you find yourself genuinely unhappy at any point, you just need to pull the trigger and leave.
  • Everyone's situation and risk appetite is different -  but I personally would never leave a job of my own accord without having a guaranteed replacement job lined up.
  • Croydon said:
    Notts, I found myself in almost this exact situation when I left my last job, except I made the move by my own choice.

I missed my old colleagues, was bored every day, and spent the first month or two trawling through LinkedIn to see if anything else was available. I just felt like I'd made a mistake, and I wasn't a good fit for the new place.

It's been almost 3 years since that, and sticking it out was the best decision I ever made. I've now got colleagues that are genuine mates, I've had opportunities I never thought I could have, and the culture in the company is absolutely superb.

I'd say stick with it a bit longer, sometimes it just a while to gel. Your self interests and care have to come first though, so if you find yourself genuinely unhappy at any point, you just need to pull the trigger and leave.
    Not in the American sense, hopefully.
  • What I would do nowadays, is discuss with my line manager what I want out of the job and see if things could be improved. I like most people develop a role within a job, if that makes sense. Or put another way, try and make the job what you want it to be. It takes a fair bit of time but its a bit more interesting than rolling up each day and doing the same old thing that someone else wants you to do.
    Yep, this is what I was going to suggest.
  • It has taken me 58 years to realise that I should act on my instincts and trust my experience.  Looking back i stayed in roles far too long, usually due to commitments such as family, mortgage and obligation.  I was at my happiest on reflection, moving around. In IT as a freelancer, 6 weeks  here, 6 months there and no more than a year over there.

I have the advantage now of age and only having to look out for myself and have promised myself, never to stay longer in a role than my instinct tells me.

Move on my friend.
  • I have been with my present employer 11 years, they have treated me well, particularly over the past 12 months after my bypass.
    On health grounds I stepped down as the assistant manager three months ago to allow me to work reduced hours.  My job remained the same as did my salary so all good.  The problem is now that the guy they brought in is a lazy bugger with very little interest in the job, my immediate boss let's him get on with it!  I sit next to the fella and my blood boils as I see him on the Internet all bloody day.
    My work colleagues have told me to calm down and focus solely on my job and let the s*** hit the fan in due course, I have gradually got round to this way but it makes me angry as I want the company to do well.
    I have come to the conclusion I just need to get my head down and focus on my job. See out the next four years then I can call it a day.
  • Exactly the same situation as you, Notts, right now. 
    Left my last role because of chaos, lack of organisation, and a boss who wasn't fit enough to manage my bodily waste, let alone me in the workplace.

Now in a role at a very big organisation and the pace is slow (induction processes and months to get me 'up to speed' and waste many man hours, despite my extensive experience and knowledge). The office 'dynamic' is dull to say the least and I spend the day clockwatching.

Admittedly, some of it is me though. I tend to measure everything against my 28 years in the RAF and it (obviously) never matches or compares. I guess it's why this is my 6th role since leaving the RAF only 8 years ago! 

Intent is to go it alone next year when my RAF pension increases. Just need the bottle and greater self-belief.
  • I guess thats why they call it the new job blues. 
  • Just wondered if anyone had any tips or advice they'd be willing to share regarding a situation I'm in at the moment.

Basically due to family circumstances I had to pack in my previous job and find something else. I was happy enough doing what I was doing so I wasn't looking to leave or anything like that, just how things worked out.

I've been at my new place for a bit now and really struggling with it. It's a similar line of work to what I'm used to so the work itself isn't much different. However I'm used to emails and calls flying round and the day going really quickly whereas here it is much slower paced. I know some of that is because I'm new and it will get a little busier as I settle in however I don't think it's ever going to be as fast paced as what I'm used to. 

Initially that's what's attracted me to the role, I thought it might be nice to have a change of pace having been so used to been busy all the time however I'm really struggling with it at the moment.  Find myself dreading going in to work and end up just watching the clock most of the day. The office is much smaller than I'm used to as well and some days it's only me and two other colleagues, there both nice people however we don't have a huge amount in common to talk about other than the usual office pleasantries. Where I used to work we had multiple sites as well so the day would often be broken up by travel, meetings etc whereas with this place being much smaller it is literally one location that I'm in each day, every day.

Just wondered if anyone had been in a similar position? Normally whenever I've switched jobs I've been really excited and hit the ground running but just can't seem to find the motivation for this one.

You used to have a laugh at Swindon and you felt motivated.

Unfortunately, Slough just isn't the same.

The pub wasn't much of a laugh
  • Just wondered if anyone had any tips or advice they'd be willing to share regarding a situation I'm in at the moment.

Nice to see you posting, Nigel.  Perhaps if you're finding it a bit slow paced, try working a bit harder on the training pitch.  And sign some better players.