Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

electric bike advice needed

anyone got any advice on purchasing a mens electric bike entry level,new or 2nd hand ??

Comments

• anyone got any advice on purchasing a mens electric bike entry level,new or 2nd hand ??
    No advice other than only do it if you NEED the extra help. Otherwise don't.
  • Dazzler21 said:
    anyone got any advice on purchasing a mens electric bike entry level,new or 2nd hand ??
    yeah i need the extra help,always hire one on holidays and enjoy so daughter bought me one for my 60th from halfords but bit small for me so we returned it and she has told me to find one and she will pay,so thought id ask for advice on here
  • Dazzler21 said:
    yeah i need the extra help,always hire one on holidays and enjoy so daughter bought me one for my 60th from halfords but bit small for me so we returned it and she has told me to find one and she will pay,so thought id ask for advice on here
    Unless you have a serious fitness/health condition you should avoid ebikes. They’re the lazy way.

• iainment said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Unless you have a serious fitness/health condition you should avoid ebikes. They’re the lazy way.

Fitness Nazi!
  • We need a survey on it to decide 
  • Sponsored links:

• MrOneLung said:
    So what ?

maybe he just wants to cycle around in a leisurely way and have the assistance of an electric motor. 
    exactly,thanks
  • Maybe people should stop driving cars and walk? I can’t see much different to that and an e-bike, although  you can pedal an e-bike.
  • Gribbo said:
    iainment said:
    Dazzler21 said:

Whatever you say, Lance
    Like Lance never had any extra help.
    Only enough to level the playing field.
  • Buying second hand is ok up to a point.
    However, depending how old it is you’ll need to check that spares are still available.
    This applies particularly to battery availability and you may end up having to get the cells replaced if the battery itself is no longer available. 
    Very few places around who are able to do this…..an expensive procedure too!
  • Dazzler21 said:
    Do you mean your 70th Bert?
  • clb74 said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    we cant all have your youthful looks
  • Sponsored links:

• I've emailed red bull to see if they do one,  Bert
  • I bought my wife an electric bike in July as whilst she liked cycling she was struggling on the hills ! The first thing you notice is how heavy they are , too heavy for the roof of the car, now she’s out 2 or three times a week and only uses the electric assistance when she’s struggling! Personally I think it’s a brilliant bit of kit ! 
    Snap for my wife. She bought it to avoid getting sweaty on the way to work.
    I also think that they're brilliant for distances that are bit too far for the average person on a normal bike.
    I might get one when I'm older.

If you're sixty, go for it, and feel proud that you didn't give up cycling completely.
  • clb74 said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Easy mistake to make. My Dad's 90 today and I wrote 80 in his card! What a plonker.
  • Discussing this in the pub with a mate who is about to do a 220km run around Majorca in one day (FFS!!). He wasnt scoffing at electric at all, but he pointed out that they are heavy ( 25kg). In some situations on corners, you need to respect that. But he says they work well not just on hills but also if you live in or visit an area thats windy, e.g. a coastal area. Might try a rented one next year on holiday. 
  • I bought my wife an electric bike in July as whilst she liked cycling she was struggling on the hills ! The first thing you notice is how heavy they are , too heavy for the roof of the car, now she’s out 2 or three times a week and only uses the electric assistance when she’s struggling! Personally I think it’s a brilliant bit of kit ! 
    I also think that they're brilliant for distances that are bit too far for the average person on a normal bike.

If you're sixty, go for it, and feel proud that you didn't give up cycling completely.
    I’m 66 and wouldn’t go for it. I’d feel ashamed if I need an electric bike because I was 60. Unless I had a serious health or fitness issue.
  • MrOneLung said:
    So you would rather they just sit at home rather than have some assistance to cycle in difficult parts? 

And why don’t you run everywhere rather than cheating by using a bike ? 
    I do run. I’ve just entered the ballot for next year’s London Marathon.
  • I got one through a cycle to work scheme a few years ago, chopped in the trusty but  heavy and "bouncy" mountain bike I rehomed from @razil a loooong time ago 

The reason I got one with the electric motor was to not get to work sweating like a pig as there is a couple of monster hills that can't be avoided. Kind of wish I'd stuck with the old mountain bike as I cant do any off roading on the electric bike, it weighs a ton and without the motor on the hills are even harder than they were with the mountain bike. Its great for getting to the pub amd work quickly and keeping up with traffic, not causing a backlog and everyone who took the piss out of me for getting it whonhad a go was grinning from ear to ear. It is fun in sport mode no two ways about it. 

I'm not interested in road cycling in general or doing miles and miles, the standard of driving and proclivity for using mobile phones whilst driving in this country is too bad to feel safe regardless of how savvy I am 
  • iainment said:
    Dazzler21 said:

Colour me judgemental.
  • iainment said:
    I bought my wife an electric bike in July as whilst she liked cycling she was struggling on the hills ! The first thing you notice is how heavy they are , too heavy for the roof of the car, now she’s out 2 or three times a week and only uses the electric assistance when she’s struggling! Personally I think it’s a brilliant bit of kit ! 

I’m 66 and wouldn’t go for it. I’d feel ashamed if I need an electric bike because I was 60. Unless I had a serious health or fitness issue.
    I would say that being 60 or older is a health and fitness issue.
    Obviously not for you because you're great.