Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton v Plymouth 1962 12 mins of highlights

https://youtu.be/Aco-jaUGPtw
John Hewie in goal a bit of Stuart Leary magic and I didn't know the old corner flag routine was that old

Comments

• edited October 2021
    I am going to say that Leary was one of the first players to introduce this tactic, certainly no one else at Charlton had seen or heard of it until out of the blue he started doing it.
    Just where he got it from is unknown as far as I know.
    What a fantastic piece of footage and seeing my all time favourite player and sporting hero Stuart Leary bagging a brace was the icing on the cake.
    I would certainly have been there….aged 14……happy days.🥲
    A truly superb find McCartney…….many thanks mate.👏🏽
    Oh, by the way, were you there too?
  • edited October 2021
    If the link above doesn't work, this one does:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aco-jaUGPtw&ab_channel=theheavyroller
    EDIT: click on the "Watch on Youtube" link.

Really enjoyed watching that @McCartney
    Took my right back to my boyhood Valley - although a couple of years before my first game.

Wasn't that the season when we had to play Walsall away in a relegation scrap - whoever won stayed up?
    We had to win or bust. Naturally we were losing 1-0 ........... when the game was abandoned in a storm. 
    If that had been the final result, Charlton were relegated.

Of course, the game had to be replayed - and a few days later we won the re-arranged fixture 2-1, and escaped relegation.
    Walsall were relegated instead.

One of my old Dad's boyhood stories to me of how Charlton escaped relegation - thanks to a deluge.

• What a good through pass by Sam Lawrie for the 2nd goal. 
  • At the Plymouth game now. Watching how it should be done.
  • What a good through pass by Sam Lawrie for the 2nd goal. 
    Yep ...... plus great movement, decisive decision making and composure by Stuart Leary.

• At the Plymouth game now. Watching how it should be done.
    I see that Argyle scored their 2nd goal ..... when Broom swept home.

• For those watching in Black and White, Charlton were in the red shirts …🙄
  • edited October 2021
    Oggy Red said:
    At the Plymouth game now. Watching how it should be done.
    I see that Argyle scored their 2nd goal ..... when Broom swept home.

- joking aside he played so well this afternoon - involved in every play forward it seemed and their defence were terrified of him, he just (OK lets do this) brushed them aside.  But if he played at Charlton he wouldn't play like that, they all worked so well together.  I was envious.  Reminded me of our 2010/11 team.
  • Oggy Red said:

Took my right back to my boyhood Valley - although a couple of years before my first game.

Wasn't that the season when we had to play Walsall away in a relegation scrap - whoever won stayed up?
    We had to win or bust. Naturally we were losing 1-0 ........... when the game was abandoned in a storm. 

Of course, the game had to be replayed - and a few days later we won the re-arranged fixture 2-1, and escaped relegation.

One of my old Dad's boyhood stories to me of how Charlton escaped relegation - thanks to a deluge.

How we stayed up I will never know. We won our previous game against Southampton 2-1 I  with a stoppage time winner, Without that we would have gone down on the day.
    In the replayed game against Walsall, the hosts only had ten men on the pitch at the end and one of them was a passenger shunted out onto the wing.
  • Sponsored links:

• Oggy Red said:

No, that was season 1962-63. This was 1961-62. That season Liverpool and Leyton Orient went up to division 1. 

Makes you wonder with the half back line we had, how we were relegation threatened. 
    Ah, my mistake. Thanks  @addick1956

• I am going to say that Leary was one of the first players to introduce this tactic, certainly no one else at Charlton had seen or heard of it until out of the blue he started doing it.
    Just where he got it from is unknown as far as I know.
    What a fantastic piece of footage and seeing my all time favourite player and sporting hero Stuart Leary bagging a brace was the icing on the cake.
    I would certainly have been there….aged 14……happy days.🥲
    A truly superb find McCartney…….many thanks mate.👏🏽
    Oh, by the way, were you there too?
    No I was two years from being born  and 8 years from my first Valley visit but I love watching these old games expecially from the 60s.  There's plenty of good stuff on this YouTube channel 
  • Imagine having a situation today where we had to start a game without a proper keeper. Some of those complaining about our lack of cover at the beginning of the season would probably have been suicidal at the thought!
  • For those watching in black and white.......
  • edited October 2021
    Happy days, I was there usual spot on the railings covered end in the corner where the altercation happened. Scottish outside right Sam Lawrie was a fiery little character 😈. 

With Hewie in goal it seems the half back line was Bailey, Hinton and Tocknell. Full backs Sewell and possibly Kinsey although he started off his career with us as a winger and was fairly advanced in those clips. 

Forward line Lawrie, Matthews, Leary, Edwards and either Kinsey or A N Other. And for those still watching in black and white the goalkeepers were wearing blue jumpers, fact 😉.
  • Thanks McCartney, great memories for me, I was a fifteen year old who started watching around January 62. I was in the lower middle of East terrace with my dad.
    Plymouth were the first team I can actually remember us playing.
    A hard hit shot bounced off Long John Hewie's chest and back into play. 

I didn't realise how good Leary was and this was the end of his career with us. Superb halfback line with Marvin Hinton and Mike Bailey alongside Brian Tocknell. At that time Brian Kinsey was playing as a winger.

Talking of the following seasons relegation scrape at Walsall, I was there for the first match, memories of the away end food kiosk at half-time and rain pouring through the roof! 
    Say I was unable to go to the replay.

• I was right behind the Covered End goal, so as to follow Hewie's every move in the first half and our lively forwards' in the second. It was a memorable game for sure. The large away attendance made for an excellent atmosphere, especially as time wore on and their fans became more and more anxious.

Hinton, Bailey and Leary were outstanding players, and Lawrie and Tocknell were not far behind. Leary was simply a magician. The needless dispute between him and the club led to Leary's departure for QPR the following season and a miraculous escape from relegation for CAFC - that it should have come to this was no surprise, since Leary had more or less single-handedly kept the Addicks up in 61/62.

• Lovely old piece of footage.
    Just over 2 weeks after this, on Easter Monday 23rd April 1962 my uncle took me to my first ever game at the Valley against Bristol Rovers.
    Willie Duff was back in goal and John Hewie at left back.
    Stuart Leary scored both goals in a 2-1 win.
    I was a bit too young to take in the nuances of the game, but the sights, sounds and smells and the energy of the crowd - I was hooked.
  • edited October 2021
    I was present at this match. Thanks for the opportunity to relive the experience. A roll call of names to stimulate the memories: Marvin Hinton, John Hewie, John Sewell, Mike Bailey, Sam Lawrie and goalscorer, Stuart Leary. Kenneth Wolstenholme was the commentator. He divided opinion in those days. Some folk used to turn the sound down on their telly, so as not to listen to his 'babble'. Home and opposition supporters were not segregated in those days. Standing on the expanse of the East Terrace, I can't ever recall any problems from this period in the 1960s.

On the rare days the TV was in town, we used to get the nod a few days before the game from a fellow fan who was something in broadcasting (not Michael Grade). The TV camera gantry, if you could call it that, was a spindly affair supported by scaffolding poles. Quite an exposed position when the wind and the rain swept across the ground.

Electric cables led off to the outside broadcast vans, which were normally parked adjacent to the Sam Bartram Gate. I assume the commentary was actually done inside one of these vehicles. I believe we once had film cameras on that part of the East Terrace for the Arthur Askey film The Love Match. Sometime around 1955, I believe. Has the film surfaced on Talking Pictures TV yet?

Again, thanks for the memories.
    Very surprised to read your comments re Kenneth Wolstenholme.
    He of course commentated on the ‘66 World Cup Final and was considered something of a national institution at the time.
    It’s the first I’ve heard that there was ‘significant’ divided opinion about him, I am not saying there weren’t ‘some’ people who didn’t like his style and delivery but there always will be with commentators but to call it significant to me is far from reality.
    As I say, it’s the first I’ve heard of it.🤔
  • Sponsored links:

• Just following on with Ken Wolstenholme. He was of course the main commentator on Match of the Day.
    Match of the Day however wasn't launched until August 1964, so I am wondering where this footage was originally broadcast.
    We didn't get our first TV at home until 1964, so I don't know if there was a predecessor to MOTD.

• MOTD brought a structure to the coverage, better and more cameras, etc. Prior to that they were just random games. We featured from time to time, the BBC not afraid to venture into Div Two. As mentioned the camera position on the East Terrace had to be built from scratch for each visit and then dismantled. The platform was completely exposed. As far as I know the commentator was sat out there in the open. (Another notable televised game was the last home game of 62/63 which CAFC won in the last minute to ensure a meaningful match at Walsall.) 

• Some great memories shared......a good couple of years before my first visit in 64 which I only remember the walk to the Valley from the Milne estate and having a lemonade crate to stand on behind a barrier on the East Terrace....no idea who we played and sadly nobody alive now to ask.