Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Ongoing British Tennis…

We have a specific Andy Murray thread somewhere we have Tennis Grand Slam threads but since the emergence of Raducanu as well as other Brit hopefuls in both men’s and women’s tennis, I thought it might be a good idea to track the players flying the U.K. flag across the world…

Comments

• Andy Murray is currently playing the indoor hard court surfaces in France. 

This week he’s in Metz where he’s made his way through two rounds against Humbert and Pospisil. His live world ranking is up to 109 and he should be able to break back into the top 100 with a win in the next round.
  • Emma Raducanu has entered the Kremlin Cup in Russia which begins in mid October. She’s now world number 22 and based on the world rankings of other entrants, she can expect to be 10th seed.

She didn’t increase her ranking quickly enough to get seeded entry to the Indian Wells tournament in early October but it’s likely she’ll be offered a wild card if she wants a high profile tournament before heading to Moscow.
  • Dan Evans (world no. 23) & Cam Norrie (world no. 28) will be in action at the ATP 250 event in San Diego beginning next week. Andy Murray will also be there as a wildcard entrant.
  • Amazed we got a WR No. 28 tennis player that I've never heard of.  
  • I don't know enough about the tennis set up but British tennis is obviously the most healthy it's been in my life time.

Is this due to increased funding, inspiration from Murray's success, something else? 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    I don't know enough about the tennis set up but British tennis is obviously the most healthy it's been in my life time.

Is this due to increased funding, inspiration from Murray's success, something else? 
    Law of averages, we were bound to have a good  talent sooner or later…
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    I don't know enough about the tennis set up but British tennis is obviously the most healthy it's been in my life time.

Yep - it only took 76 years since Fred Perry, the last British male winner of a Grand Slam, for Murray to end the wait!
  • bobmunro said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

Yep - it only took 76 years since Fred Perry, the last British male winner of a Grand Slam, for Murray to end the wait!
    The LTA’s snobbery and elitism had a lot to do with that, only in relatively recent times they learnt their lessons.
  • bobmunro said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

The LTA’s snobbery and elitism had a lot to do with that, only in relatively recent times they learnt their lessons.
    I used to play tennis as a kid and it was relatively easy to play. It's often the perception of a sport that puts people off and sometimes inverse snobbery as well.

• Sponsored links:

• bobmunro said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

I used to play tennis as a kid and it was relatively easy to play. It's often the perception of a sport that puts people off and sometimes inverse snobbery as well.

Likewise - I used to play a lot of tennis at the courts on Winn's Common when I was a teenager, but all self-taught and never coached. I never considered joining a tennis club as I also believed that it was not for an oink like me, not least because I knew my mum couldn't afford it.  
  • edited September 2021
    bobmunro said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

Indeed. It is a very accessible sport, but the LTA certainly acted as gatekeepers when anyone achieved a certain level.
     I remember seeing some representatives of theirs open mouthed when they first encountered Andre Agassi, someone who seemingly had the ‘wrong attitude’ for them; but was supremely talented and clearly would become legendary, it was when the penny started to drop and a sea change started to happen in the game in this country, which Andy Murray was a part of that first wave.
  • bobmunro said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

Indeed. It is a very accessible sport, but the LTA certainly acted as gatekeepers when anyone achieved a certain level.
     I remember seeing some representatives of theirs open mouthed when they first encountered Andre Agassi, someone who seemingly had the ‘wrong attitude’ for them; but was supremely talented and clearly would become legendary, it was when the penny started to drop and a sea change started to happen in the game in this country, which Andy Murray was a part of that first wave.
    I think both tennis and golf put off a lot of people because of their image and those running the sports.

I played loads of golf when I was young and in a lot of competitions and it wasn't that expensive to play compared to what adults  were charged. The club I played at had kids from all backgrounds but the image of the sport put people off along with a lot of prehistoric attitudes.

One of my friends at the time used to play with Nick Faldo and Ken Brown and was probably at their level but he ended up working in a warehouse. Some of the clubs were utterly dreadful and as kids we regularly use to upset some of the members who were more bothered about social etiquette than the sport.

Britain could have done better in a number of sports if they had encouraged a wider intake. I was lucky as a kid that my Mum emcouraged me to try things out whatever barriers there were.

It is difficult when you're young if some snobby old bore talks down to you in a patronising manner - you don't always respond appropriately....😁😁

• bobmunro said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

I think both tennis and golf put off a lot of people because of their image and those running the sports.

I played loads of golf when I was young and in a lot of competitions and it wasn't that expensive to play compared to what adults  were charged. The club I played at had kids from all backgrounds but the image of the sport put people off along with a lot of prehistoric attitudes.

One of my friends at the time used to play with Nick Faldo and Ken Brown and was probably at their level but he ended up working in a warehouse. Some of the clubs were utterly dreadful and as kids we regularly use to upset some of the members who were more bothered about social etiquette than the sport.

Britain could have done better in a number of sports if they had encouraged a wider intake. I was lucky as a kid that my Mum emcouraged me to try things out whatever barriers there were.

It is difficult when you're young if some snobby old bore talks down to you in a patronising manner - you don't always respond appropriately....😁😁

Absolutely 🙌🏻 and with Britains lack of tennis success players like Agassi shone a light on the attitude of the ruling elite and they were forced to evolve and accept people for their ability not their postcode, but it’s taken this long for it to start to make a difference.

• edited September 2021
    Andy Murray beaten in the QF round of the ATP Metz tournament by world no. 13 and top seed Hubert Hurkacz 7-6 6-4. Murray had a break point in each set but couldn’t convert them.

Hurkacz went on to win his semi final today and will face second seed Carreno Busta in the final tomorrow.
  • Emma Raducanu has received a wildcard for Indian Wells.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited October 2021
    Both Raducanu and Murray in action tonight at Indian Wells. Raducanu set to begin in around two hours. Murray in three.
  • edited October 2021
    Murray (WC) will face Mannarino (world no. 54) in the men’s first round.

Raducanu (17/WC) will face Sasnovich (world no. 111) in the women’s second round after receiving a first round bye.
  • Raducanu a set and a break down against Sasnovich.

• Sasnovich wins in straight sets. 6-2 6-4.
  • Murray wins the first set against Mannarino 6-3.
  • Murray in straight sets. 6-3 6-2
  • Sasnovich wins in straight sets. 6-2 6-4.
    Raducanu still to win on the Tour outside of a Grand Slam event.  Strange or too small a sample to be statistically relevant?
  • Raaducanu has been massively hyped up yet is very inexperienced and needs time to develop. I just hope the media don't go overboard.

Expectations for her after the US Open win were OTT - she needs to get a coach and get used to the tour.

Hopefully she'll be given the space she needs.
  • Murray in straight sets. 6-3 6-2
    Really pleased that he's getting his game back.