Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton Signings Needed In January?

Just wondered what positions we need to fill in the January transfer window.

Could do with a striker, right back and centre mid, whet do you think?

Comments

• Mostly just CBT 
  • Depends how next 8 games go. 
    if we need experienced League Oners who battle and keep us up, or if we need someone to for that late promotion push. 
  • Wrote on the Fleetwood post match about this. Must be a right back with pace in the door ASAP. Probably be a loan as we already have two of them. Every team needs a striker, but think 4 (Schwartz included) is too many. Would settle for 1 only (If no loans go back), if he was a top draw right back.
  • As long as we are not preparing for division four.
  • Too early to say.

This ^^^^^
  • A right back is a must with a little more quality. Gunter got the chance to play in his favoured position saturday and done himself no harm. I think he has in the past been a victim of playing anywhere for the team (left back and centre back) Matthews need not bother again
  • Too early to say BUT we are maxed out in terms of squad numbers, so there may have to be some exits as well - if JFC for example returns to the squad in the second half of the season, surely we won't need every central midfielder?

If Ronnie leaves, that would free up a space for another striker. If we do sign CBT on a longer deal, will we need all our wingers? 
  • Sponsored links:

• Sack our right backs if they continue to embarrass themselves. 
  • I think there are a couple of positions where we are clearly needed an upgrade , CDM and RB the most obvious however , we have two senior right backs and 3 CDMs on the books and you can’t just replace them without getting rid of the others
  • Can imagine a few going out on loan in January, pity nobody will want Matthews or Gunter so I think this season we are stuck with both. A decent right back would make a huge difference.
  • edited October 2021
    Totally agree on a new right back. It may be hard to ship out Gunter or Matthews but even if we can't, we still need a new one. 
  • Chunes said:
    Totally agree on a new right back. It may be hard to ship out Gunter or Matthews but even if we can't, we still need a new one. 
    I’d be tempted to give Clare a go there . 

We need an energetic defensive midfielder that can pass it well enough and a good striker. 
  • We need a proper number 10 strikers in the BWP, Grant or even Darren Bent mould.

The problem is that so does everybody else too.

Right now our attacking stocks are so thin I might even take Marcus Bent back.
  • Right back but ideally that means getting one of Gunter or Matthews out. Replacing Schwartz is another option.

Up front Stockley and Davison have goals in them if the service is there so I’m less concerned than others are. Can see Davison changing opinions of him over the next few months and then we’ll instead be worrying about his contract ending in the summer.

If the right striker is available though got to bring them in given how hard finding one that’s good and affordable.
  • Judging from Sandgaards interview the other day my guess is we will be looking to strengthen the squad with permanent deals. A lot of contracts expiring in the summer especially in our defense. It leaves us with no RB for next season. I can imagine us looking to get someone in. The same goes for the CB and LB positions, although we might want to extend Souare and/or Purrington's contracts. Not sure about Inniss and Pearce, I do think the latter is a very good squad player for us this season.
  • wmcf123 said:
    Chunes said:

We need an energetic defensive midfielder that can pass it well enough and a good striker. 
    Not sure why this was given a lol, Clare played RB for Oxford, and I’m not sure he could do any worse than Matthews & Gunter. 
  • arny23394 said:
    wmcf123 said:
    Chunes said:

Not sure why this was given a lol, Clare played RB for Oxford, and I’m not sure he could do any worse than Matthews & Gunter. 
    Because it's why he left to go to Burton on loan last season and then left Oxford permanently. 
  • Sponsored links:

• We need to ship 1 out just to get JFC in. 

What I would like to see is some of the players we plan on keeping for next season sign contracts before Christmas and ones we don't try and ship out in January.  I think you would be supprised who would be intrested in some of our duds, especially on loan.

Unfortunately, come January 1st, it's highly likely we won't know if we are in a promotion/play off race, relegation scrap, or neither.  With this division it's likely it could be both! 
  • I suppose Newcastle will pip us to Mbappe now. 
  • Based on form alone at this point then RB. Annoying really as both players have the quality to be assets to the team.

Pleased Davison has stepped up and with Leko & Lee who I think could play there if need be we would be fine. 

CB and RB for me. 
  • A young talented number 10 for me. If Lee is injured, we do not really have any players who can play that role in between the lines and dictate play in the final 3rd.
  • Maybe send our No10 out on loan if we can get him to a good club. The problem loaning him to the same league would be that we don't know who our promotion or relegation rivals are.
  • mendonca said:
    Maybe send our No10 out on loan if we can get him to a good club. The problem loaning him to the same league would be that we don't know who our promotion or relegation rivals are.
    It’s safe to say we don’t have any promotion rivals. 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    We need to ship 1 out just to get JFC in. 

What I would like to see is some of the players we plan on keeping for next season sign contracts before Christmas and ones we don't try and ship out in January.  I think you would be supprised who would be intrested in some of our duds, especially on loan.

Unfortunately, come January 1st, it's highly likely we won't know if we are in a promotion/play off race, relegation scrap, or neither.  With this division it's likely it could be both! 
    Unless of course the PFA win their case against the Squad limit rules.
  • Speculate and push the boat out - 3 aged ex-Prem. 1 up front, a RB and a CB. One must shout a lot.

Go all out or go home

BOSH
  • edited October 2021
    Bet Cole Stockton wont be at Morecambe beyond January.

Worth noting that we have a loan space still available
  • RB seems obvious but then so did LB in the summer and we played Gunter there for ages. I think we'll only see a new RB if Matthews moves on, which is fairly unlikely. Injuries will dictate a lot; if Lee or Leko gets hurt long term then we'll need to replace them, but otherwise it will depend on how we're doing when the window opens. Most likely I think is another goalscorer to replace Ronnie, who I don't think we'll see again sadly