Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton go Dutch

edited October 2021 in General Charlton
So, the archivist that is working with the museum (funded by the National Archives) was going through our cupboard and pulled out a box that had over a 100 pennants that presumably had being presented to Charlton over the years, going back to the 1960s.

Many would appear to be from reserve and youth team games but a few could be first team games.

It is likely that this pennant is from the game played in Holland on 1 August 1971 which ended in a 2 - 1 defeat. Keith Peacock scored our goal.

HFC Haarlem won the Dutch league in 1946 and once had a young Ruud Gullit on their books but were declared bankrupt in 2010 and so were dissolved and kicked out of the league.

They reformed and merged with an amateur side HFC Kennemerland to create a new club will be called Haarlem Kennermerland.  They play in the ninth tier of Dutch football.

Comments

• It's always helpful to curators when items date themselves.

Charlton won this 1968 game 1 - 0 with a goal from Matt Tees.

Amsterdamsche Football Club Door Wilskracht Sterk (Strong Through Willpower) were champions in 1964 and reached the quarter finals of the European Cup in 1965.

Their 1964 triumph is the most recent occasion of a club without a predominantly red and white home strip (unlike recent contenders Ajax, AZ, Feyenoord, PSV and Twente) winning the Eredivisie title.

In 1972 the club merged with two other clubs to form FC Amsterdam, which themselves disbanded in 1982. DWS continue as an amateur club.

• edited October 2021
    This most likely comes from the 24 October 1966 friendly at the Valley.  Keith Peacock and Mike Kenning scored our goals in a 2 - 0 win.

ASO Oostende is another club that no longer exists having merged with VGO Oostende to form  KV Oostende in 1981.  

PS Yes, I know Oostende is in Belgian but they speak Flemish and I wasn't going to start another thread on Belgian pennants.

• Mike Kenning was again on the scoresheet in this 4 August 1971 friendly in Rotterdam or anywhere.  Charlton won 1 - 0

The RV & AV stands for "Rotterdamse Voetbal en Atletiek Vereniging " (Rotterdam Football and Athletics Club ).

Amazingly this club is still going!

• This most likely comes from the 24 October 1966 friendly at the Valley.  Keith Peacock and Mike Kenning scored our goals in a 2 - 0 win.

ASO Oostende is another club that no longer exists having merged with VGO Oostende to form  KV Oostende in 1981.  

PS Yes, I know Oostende is in Belgian but they speak Flemish and I wasn't going to start another thread on Belgian pennants.
    Now you’ve done that, about the only foreign club friendly at the Valley I’ve ever bothered turning up for was late sixties against Accra Hearts of Oak. If I recall rightly we won it 3-0 and I only went to it because my mates had said the last time before that when we’d played a foreign team in a friendly we’d won 9-0
  • edited October 2021
    Interesting the number of clubs who've folded or merged amongst that lot, as English league clubs seem to rarely completely fold, and when they restart at the bottom rise up to their natural levels again (Wimbledon, Maidstone, Aldershot, Accrington etc)
  • This most likely comes from the 24 October 1966 friendly at the Valley.  Keith Peacock and Mike Kenning scored our goals in a 2 - 0 win.

Now you’ve done that, about the only foreign club friendly at the Valley I’ve ever bothered turning up for was late sixties against Accra Hearts of Oak. If I recall rightly we won it 3-0 and I only went to it because my mates had said the last time before that when we’d played a foreign team in a friendly we’d won 9-0

That would be Apoel Nicosia ... including a Len Glover hat-trick if I remember rightly.

• Interesting the number of clubs who've folded or merged amongst that lot, as English league clubs seem to rarely completely fold, and when they restart at the bottom rise up to their natural levels again (Wimbledon, Maidstone, Aldershot, Accrington etc)
    Happens A LOT in Belgium especially. Over the years, 74 different clubs have played in their top flight. Only 44 of them still exist in some capacity.
  • Some fantastic bits of our history Henry!
  • Interesting the number of clubs who've folded or merged amongst that lot, as English league clubs seem to rarely completely fold, and when they restart at the bottom rise up to their natural levels again (Wimbledon, Maidstone, Aldershot, Accrington etc)
    Happens A LOT in Belgium especially. Over the years, 74 different clubs have played in their top flight. Only 44 of them still exist in some capacity.
    I've always thought that this was in part why Two shits and Absolute Meire didn't get it. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Wonder if theres one from the friendly with Feyenoord the season we signed Darren Bent. I think Dirk Kuyt was playing for them at the time.
  • Dave Rudd said:
    This most likely comes from the 24 October 1966 friendly at the Valley.  Keith Peacock and Mike Kenning scored our goals in a 2 - 0 win.

That would be Apoel Nicosia ... including a Len Glover hat-trick if I remember rightly.

& then drew 0=0 (I think) with Arsenal a couple of days later

• Mike Kenning was again on the scoresheet in this 4 August 1971 friendly in Rotterdam or anywhere.  Charlton won 1 - 0

The RV & AV stands for "Rotterdamse Voetbal en Atletiek Vereniging " (Rotterdam Football and Athletics Club ).

Amazingly this club is still going!

Yes, this is now SBV Excelsior whose stadium (Stadion Woudestein) incorporates the Robin Van Persie Stand.

Much more interesting, though, is the fact that my eldest lad has played there.

I'll ask him if he might be prepared to stand in a cabinet in the Museum for an hour or two on match days.
  • Nothing Dutch here but we beat Kuwait Sporting Club 6 - 1 (Hales (4), Browne, Robinson) on 12 August 1982.

For some reason this game was played at the Cambridge Mission Ground, New Eltham which is alongside Sparrows Lane.

Nine days later Home and Away tells us our reserves played the Kuwait National XI at the training ground and won 2- 1 (Sloan (p) and Donnelly) so extending our unbeaten run against national sides.

• Not sure when this game was played and it may well have been a youth tournament.   

Nice of them to include our logo.

Loanhead is a very small town in Midlothian, near Edinburgh with a population of 6000 so this could be a Midlothian question

• pronounced locally as loanheed

• SamB09 said:
    Wonder if theres one from the friendly with Feyenoord the season we signed Darren Bent. I think Dirk Kuyt was playing for them at the time.
    Think we played Utrecht in Holland and Germinal Beershot (sp ?) In Belgium that pre season.
  • Now this is what we like from an item: name, date, opposition, occasion.

What we don't know is the score or goal scorers. Sadly Slade Green folded in 2009.

There is now a Slade Green Railway FC but we don't know if there is a link to the older club

• SamB09 said:
    Wonder if theres one from the friendly with Feyenoord the season we signed Darren Bent. I think Dirk Kuyt was playing for them at the time.
    Dirk did and was pretty shite. I wondered why Liverpool were paying all that moolah for him. 
  • SamB09 said:
    Think we played Utrecht in Holland and Germinal Beershot (sp ?) In Belgium that pre season.
    Pre-Season 2006?
  • Sponsored links:

• SamB09 said:
    Pre-Season 2006?
    SamB09 said:
    Pre-Season 2006?
    Spot on.