Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Monday Puzzle

I saw this this morning and I have absolutely no idea where to start.  Answer will be published at 5pm so if I remember I'll provide the link. 

Comments

• Is that the riddle "I saw this this morning and I have absolutely no idea where to start"? 
  • Castling Step-by-step hints 1. One of the two pieces completely encloses another piece. 2. The inner piece is shaped like a small dodecagon with some chess pieces attached to it. 3. You can rotate or flip the inner piece to move the rook-shaped hole, for example. A rook attached to the inner dodecagon can fill the rook-shaped hole and leave another hole in its original position. 4. What happens if there are more than one rook and king?

I googled this and have read the answer and have absolutely no idea what is going on

• edited October 2021
    OK ... it looks like the two chess pieces in the original shape are holes (King-shaped hole and a Rook-shaped hole).

Then, it seems like you have to cut a shape (smaller version of the original 12-sided shape) but with a Rook shape and a King shape attached to it.  By rotating you can then fill the original holes and 'replace' with new Rook and King shapes.

If I'm right, it's poor wording in the original as it not made clear that the two chess pieces are holes.
  • Dave Rudd said:
    OK ... it looks like the two chess pieces in the original shape are holes (King-shaped hole and a Rook-shaped hole).

Then, it seems like you have to cut a shape (smaller version of the original 12-sided shape) but with a Rook shape and a King shape attached to it.  By rotating you can then fill the original holes and 'replace' with new Rook and King shapes.

If I'm right, it's poor wording in the original as it not made clear that the two chess pieces are holes.
    It sounds obvious when you put it like that.  The answer is here

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2021/oct/04/did-you-solve-it-another-game-of-brutal-genius-from-south-korea 
  • I still don’t understand it 
  • MrOneLung said:
    I still don’t understand it 
    The chess pieces are holes.  You cut a a shape that fills those holes and has two different holes. 
  • Solution:

I wrestled with this for ages last night. Very good puzzle and really difficult to visualise. The big thing that caught me out was the red herring that ‘the pieces may be flipped’. They don’t need to be.
    Sneaky. 😃