Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Irish London

edited October 2021 in Not Sports Related
I’ve been tasked with organising a ride for my cycle club that celebrates Irish London. To be done for St Patrick’s next year.
Can you suggest any cultural, political, sporting or other places we might incorporate into this and why.
I have quite a few ideas already but I’m looking for those things that might not be particularly well known.
As a hint to what I’m thinking about so far I’ve got Kittie O’Sheas house in Eltham, Danny LaRue, Arthur Wellesleys house, the site of the Park Royal brewery, Paul Nash, the first Irish church in London and so on. It needs to be an eclectic mix so I’d love input to help me.

Comments

• Stamford Bridge, GAA played there before it became the home of Chelsea.
  • Harp Club, New Cross, IF it's still open :)
    It’s now called the Venue.
  • Brentford Stadium .. home of London Irish RUFC ( as well as Brentford FC of course)
    It’s now called the Venue.
    Grandparents met there.... Was the first club I went out in
  • Stamford Bridge, GAA played there before it became the home of Chelsea.
    Brilliant, that’s the sort of stuff I need.
  • The Valley - stadium graced numerous times by Mark Kinsella (plus many other Ireland players of varying degrees of Irishness!) 
  • GAA grounds Avery Hill Road Eltham. Hosted Gaelic games for years until 1992.
  • Connaught House on Flodden Rd in Camberwell - it's the home of the London Irish Rifles regimental association and their museum.
    Changed names in 1989!
  • Sponsored links:

• el-pietro is your man, he’ll know some venues I reckon or maybe his Irish dad will.
    PM him…..he pops in and out of here from time to time.
    I think he posts mostly on the politics thread.
    He’s a good lad, intelligent too, was raised for a long while in Camberwell but speaks with a broad Irish accent and is now based permanently back in Ireland.
  • el-pietro is your man, he’ll know some venues I reckon or maybe his Irish dad will.
    PM him…..he pops in and out of here from time to time.
    I think he posts mostly on the politics thread.
    He’s a good lad, intelligent too, was raised for a long while in Camberwell but speaks with a broad Irish accent and is now based permanently back in Ireland.

I’ve been tasked with organising a ride for my cycle club that celebrates Irish London. To be done for St Patrick’s next year.

Can you suggest any cultural, political, sporting or other places we might incorporate into this and why.
    I have quite a few ideas already but I’m looking for those things that might not be particularly well known.
    As a hint to what I’m thinking about so far I’ve got Kittie O’Sheas house in Eltham, Danny LaRue, Arthur Wellesleys house, the site of the Park Royal brewery, Paul Nash, the first Irish church in London and so on. It needs to be an eclectic mix so I’d love input to help me

Hi @el-pietro any help appreciated.
  • The Tipperary on Fleet Street, the oldest Irish bar in London.

Ruislip, home of London GAA.
  • Camden Irish centre 
  • Swan Stockwell, Castle East Dulwich

Yes, Irish since 1700 and a very nice place for a pint.

Been into the Tipperary loads as it’s near my office. Never realised their “oldest Irish pub in London” credentials were actually legitimate - I’ll show more respect next time!
  • Hardy’s. Irish pub in Trafalgar Road Greenwich.
  • Pelham123 said:
    GAA grounds Avery Hill Road Eltham. Hosted Gaelic games for years until 1992.
    I used to look out onto those fields from my bedroom window, lived there for ten years and never saw a single game played there!
  • edited October 2021
    For a bit of real Irish history The Crown in Cricklewood is a must, absolute cornerstone place for Irish building workers in London for decades, immortalised in lyrics by The Dubliners in the brilliant McAlpines Fusilliers.

https://thewildgeese.irish/m/blogpost?id=6442157%3ABlogPost%3A208328
  • Sponsored links:

• edited October 2021
    Bit of a theme with most of these suggestions.

For something other than drinking establishments, there's a blue plaque on the house Oscar Wilde lived in somewhere in Chelsea.
  • colthe3rd said:
    Bit of a theme with most of these suggestions.

For something other than drinking establishments, there's a blue plaque on the house Oscar Wilde lived in somewhere in Chelsea.
    There's also a rather strange statue of Wilde between Charing Cross and Trafalgar Square. 

WB Yeats lived in Primrose Hill and Bloomsbury at various times...you probably wouldn't have to look too far in North London for a pub Shane McGowan drank in either.
  • The OXO tower in honour of Alan McCormack?
  • Hardy’s. Irish pub in Trafalgar Road Greenwich.
    I was going to say Hardys been there with my old man to watch GAA
  • Cable Street, Shadwell? (comes to mind with tomorrow being the 85th anniversary of the 'battle of Cable Street')

Part of what's now Cable Street appeared on some maps as Knockfergus in the 18th century - believed to have been a local term to recognise the many Irish living in the area then - many working in the docks, including as 'coal heavers'.

• If you are actually going to be doing the ride on St. Patrick's Day, can I suggest the Irish Embassy (at least getting in touch with them in advance, because there could be events planned for venues that as result you'd wish to either avoid or include)?
  • Thanks all. Will look into all of these.
    @NornIrishAddick the ride will be the weekend before the big day but checking on events is a good idea.
  • More blue plaques, like Daniel O'Connell in Mayfair or Spike Milligan near Kensington Gardens 
  • The Forum in Kentish Town. Irish bands used to play there.