Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Name the players

Part one:

No prizes for getting the Charlton player but who's the opposition centre half?

Comments

• Steve Bruce, Gillingham
  • Steve Bruce
  • Steve Bruce?
  • In his Gillingham days presumably.
  • Bruce before Greggs was founded
  • Part two:

Again, no prizes for naming the Charlton legend but who are the opposition?

Another Tom Morris pic found in the museum, possibly one of his earliest.

• Part three

Who's this Charlton player leaping for a ball on his debut?

• Hans Jeppsen - Part 3
  • Italian Under 21’s - Part 2
  • edited September 2021
    Part 2 ... Paul Went in the background.  Can't make out the goalkeeper.

Part 1 ... that might be Dick Tydeman behind Bruce's arse.  Based on body shape alone, the other player obscured by Bruce could be Martin Robinson.  Might be Les Berry.

The Jeppsen picture pre-dates me, but I think I can see my Dad in the crowd.
  • Sponsored links:

• Agree, that’s almost certainly Tydeman.
  • The pigeon lady from home alone 2.
  • Dave Rudd said:
    Part 2 ... Paul Went in the background.  Can't make out the goalkeeper.

Part 1 ... that might be Dick Tydeman behind Bruce's arse.  Based on body shape alone, the other player obscured by Bruce could be Martin Robinson.  Might be Les Berry.
    Dick Tydeman & Terry Naylor.
  • Is number 2 definitely the Italian U21 friendly, seems a big crowd for a friendly, my initial thought was Paul Reaney but can’t think why Leeds haven’t got white shirts on.
  • Bournesnr said:
    Is number 2 definitely the Italian U21 friendly, seems a big crowd for a friendly, my initial thought was Paul Reaney but can’t think why Leeds haven’t got white shirts on.
    That's the date on the back of the photo.
  • Ah not Paul Reaney then.
  • A little bit of research shows that it might be Luciano Spinosi.

I've sent our picture to my mate, Mario, in Italy.  He'll know for sure.
  • edited September 2021
    Part one:

No prizes for getting the Charlton player but who's the opposition centre half?
    According to Home and Away, this was last game of the season May 81 and we won 2-1 - crowd 9,367 - Charlton lineup :-

Johns
    Naylor
    Warman
    Madden
    Berry
    Tydeman
    Powell
    Walsh
    Hales
    Smith
    Robinson

Charlton goals Walsh and Smith - after the horrendous previous season when we were relegated from 2nd Div stone cold bottom of the table with a miserable 22 points, we did of course bounce back in style in 3rd place this season with 59 points (2 points for a win then) winning 25, drawing 9, losing 12, scoring 63, conceding 44

It was fortress Valley, only losing 3 at home - top scorer Hales with 23 in all comps, with Walsh scoring 18 - average home gate 7,206
  • Part two:

Again, no prizes for naming the Charlton legend but who are the opposition?

Another Tom Morris pic found in the museum, possibly one of his earliest.

30th July 1969 - lost 2-0 - crowd 7,702 - Italian scorers Spadetto and Doldi
  • Part three

Who's this Charlton player leaping for a ball on his debut?

Vs Sheffield Wednesday at The Valley - 13 January 1951 - attendance 21,785 - Charlton team :-

Bartram
    Croker
    Lock
    Fenton
    Phipps
    Forbes
    Hurst
    Jeppson
    Cullum
    Kiernan

We won 2-1 - Charlton scorers Cullum and Jeppson - we finished season 6th from bottom in Div 1

I know for a fact my late Dad was at this game as he used to regularly tell people about watching Hans Jeppson’s debut for Charlton
  • Sponsored links:

• edited September 2021
    No sign of Matt Tees in the programme.

• Dave Rudd said:

I have that as well, but in my storage unit - my copy was in a box of programmes I bought years ago - I was born 1970, so obviously didn’t go - but did you and is that your programme from the game ?
  • Dave Rudd said:

I have that as well, but in my storage unit - my copy was in a box of programmes I bought years ago - I was born 1970, so obviously didn’t go - but did you and is that your programme from the game ?

I was there, but it's not my programme.

ebay is your friend.
  • Dave Rudd said:
    No sign of Matt Tees in the programme.

Warman playing as a winger before he was converted to full back. Matt Tees in for Gilchrist 
  • Dave Rudd said:
    A little bit of research shows that it might be Luciano Spinosi.

I've sent our picture to my mate, Mario, in Italy.  He'll know for sure.

Just to close this out (I've been sensitised by the OCD thread), confirmation from the Italian contingent that the player seen with Matt Tees is Luciano Spinosi.

He went on to play for Roma, Juventus, Milan and others and picked up 19 full International caps.