Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

No connection between players and fans

I can't remember a time when there seemed such a gulf between the players and the fans. The constant rotation of players and poor performances seem to have not allowed a bond to develop.

We've had plenty of average players in the past that I've felt an affinity with regardless of their shortcomings but now it just seems to be indifference. All a bit sad.

Comments

• edited September 2021
    Because all of the contracted Charlton players are pretty poor. 

None of them have a touch of flair or quality on the ball about them. 

The 'long serving' players are just the average players left over from previous seasons (see Watson, Purrington, Gilbey, Pearce.)

Gone are the days of people like Wiggins, Solly, even Sarr where you knew 'on their day' they were unbeatable. 
  • Completely agree, I said to Ketman and Gumbo (formally of this parish) last night on the walk to the game that "I can't remember being 5 pints down before an away game and having zero 'buzz' about the match. I just don't like any of them". I usually have 1 or 2 players that I really root for, or identify with. But I just don't, with any of them. It's really sad.

• It’s because we’ve had no real run of stadium attending victories for a long time. The last good spell we had was the first part of the Championship season, and that was short lived. 

We start winning games, we’ll start building rapport for those responsible for winning those games. 
    A fair point. Any chance you can help speed that mysterious 'winning games' up?!
  • Couldn't agree more, not one player that I really have an affection for, also NA for me has made no attempt to show gratitude to us in person, all good over interviews but I havent seem him come and clap us once, not a fan and i genuinely thought he was a good appointment, but he just seems to be found wanting
  • Elliott Lee is someone I can see us developing a connection with, even if he's a loan player for now. If Stockley works out his current difficulties, maybe him too. Possibly Lavelle? Shame Inniss is such a basket case otherwise he'd be top of the list
  • Sponsored links:

• I loved big Chuks, but sadly as ever as soon as hint of a better offer came in he was gone. Will always be the way until we can get out of this league. Most of the team are rubbish, and anyone half good leaves. 

I think CBT could become a fan favourite though, a direct exciting player who can make things happen.
  • Think CBT has the 'rooting for the underdog' thing going for him but will drift in and out a bit much for some fans' liking
  • edited September 2021
    I did think that whilst we get the usual tweets from players of "support was excellent" and stuff, the fact that 2.5k of us showed up on a Tuesday night for an away game (I know it's local) when we're sat 23rd in League 1 doesn't seem to really get appreciated by the team or manager - just a bit taken for granted.

I think the fact they were getting booed at the end obviously makes them not want to hang about, but a little acknowledgement before the game or something? I could well just be being precious, but our decent following just doesn't feel appreciated to me.
  • I am still yet to work out which player to throw my vehement support behind. There's no obvious candidate at the moment. Best I can do is 'maybe DJ has been counted out a bit hastily'
  • Because all of the contracted Charlton players are pretty poor. 

None of them have a touch of flair or quality on the ball about them. 

The 'long serving' players are just the average players left over from previous seasons (see Watson, Purrington, Gilbey, Pearce.)

Gone are the days of people like Wiggins, Solly, even Sarr where you knew 'on their day' they were unbeatable. 
    Not true.
  • CBT needs to be used correctly. Either start him and tell him to give it everything for 60 minutes, or bring him on as an impact sub. We have wingers galore; we need to use them properly and keep them fresh
  • This is the reason I'd support giving JJ and Euell a go. At least they'd be a connection there between the squad and fans. 
  • Sponsored links:

• It’s because we’ve had no real run of stadium attending victories for a long time. The last good spell we had was the first part of the Championship season, and that was short lived. 

We start winning games, we’ll start building rapport for those responsible for winning those games. 
    It's this mainly.

I also think negativity spreads more quickly when more people watch more games but positivey doesn't.

In the old days only a couple of 100 people would ever watch some of our away games and a dreadful away match wouldn't spill over to the next home game as much. 
  • Agree in the main, but I really like Davison , Elerewe, Purrington and Morgan. I'd love Albie to be more consistent but we have to remember he's young and the rest of the team have all been playing poorly. 

Stockley seems like a nice bloke off the pitch but his whining on the pitch is begining to piss me off. I'd take the captaincy away from him personally. Gunter I'd gladly pack off to the land of his fathers and Matthews looks like a right miserable git.
  • Agree, never felt such a disconnection with the team. Favourite player ? Haven’t got one has anybody ? They just seem to be almost anonymous blokes in a Charlton shirt. 

Im really sad, that after over 55 years of support, I am starting to care less As each game goes by. 
  • A long, long time ago the players would appear in the Valley club after a game. Derek Hales would prop up the bar and 'bond' 😁 with the fans.
    Maybe the current squad could do something similar.
  • A long, long time ago the players would appear in the Valley club after a game. Derek Hales would prop up the bar and 'bond' 😁 with the fans.
    Some of them often look like they were bonding the night before!! 
  • MacGillivray seems very popular on Social Media, really interacts with fans and not just in the sense where he'll accept that a performance wasnt good enough etc... Can see why he was popular @ Portsmouth 

Might even be worth trying to get him on the rating of Christmas Dinners on here

He's been giving his opinion on people's roast dinners after some tweeting something about them recently.
    This for me.
    It was Clare's birthday Saturday.
    He should of been told you're not playing today, get yourself down the hour glass for a beer.
  • We've been spoilt in recent years to have the Charlton player turn successful manager vibe going on with arguably the best time to be a fan last 15 years being with Powell & Bowyer at the helm. In the same way we give academy players more leeway with abuse, both of those guys were afforded way more love even when they had considerable low points as managers and dreadful runs of form. 

For both of those names we had squads at times which we had no affinity towards and players who were from the same camp as most of the current crop i.e. journeymen, loans or general nothing boats that wash up here as a lower league stop-off. The link between fan/first team was always kept strong by the familiar and loved faces in charge - right now we have neither the playing squad continuity or highly regarded manager in place.

Ultimately, Adkins is the same as Gobbo, Slade etc. Even if we were destroying the division this year it wouldn't feel quite as special to the fans as when Bowyer or Powell was doing it I feel. Perhaps we were spoilt by the hero player becoming a hero manager and we grew to like that when the reality is this is a very rare situation. Being a lower league team now (which face it is exactly what we are), you naturally get the regular churn of players as they will either be on the rise or decline and unlikely to hang around long term. We were spoilt by the Prem years to have familiarity with players being here for 3/4+ years and our fall from grace since has set the tone for huge number of ins/outs.

Doesn't make things any better, but football has changed now. We will rarely have players here for more than 2 seasons. However, we could have a very obvious way of getting the connection back with the manager if a former playing hero takes up the hotseat. We can't assume that will equal success on the pitch, but that formula definitely keeps the fans rooting for the guy which right now, I'm not sure many are