Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Football Manager 2022

edited September 2021 in Not Sports Related
Release date: 9th November. 

Beta access roughly two weeks beforehand. 

Comments

• Dear father Xmas...
  • Gonna be on Microsoft gamepass as well on both PC and Xbox which is decent
  • Beat me too it. Shame we always have to wait for news on the features and changes. I assume they’ve found it’s the best way of building up the hype and maximising sales. 
  • May I be the first to say...

I can't fucking wait. 
  • cafctom said:
    Carter said:
    My atrocious GCSE results are partly down to the 1996 versions of this game, and I'm confident I'm not alone. 

Whats the way people play now? I always was of the mind that PC was best for the mouse control but the last version I played must have been 2003 I'd guess was so complex and so many "things" to do compared to the classic version I couldn't envisage doing all that on a console. 

Say I decide to get really filthy and obtain this latest procrastination machine for a laptop, where and how do I get this and also can I get hold of a 1996 version so I can prove to people that Claude Makelele was once a slightly stocky right winger for PSG 
    The game is so detailed now. You need a lot of spare time to properly take it on.

Weirdly, I actually don’t play it much but I absolutely love hearing stories of other people playing it. 
    Once you worked out what bargains to sign and sell on it, the perfect formation and who to put in it (an attacking 4312) it was very feasible to take throw Pat Holland out of his job at Leyton Orient and take them to the champions league final. 

I too love the stories of the game and the legendary anomaly where a player tragically dies pre season and the club gets an enormous windfall and while its sad the player died, right, the fans rejoice at Rushden & Diamonds suddenly having 50 mill in the bank 

I did find a version of the game from 2011 I think that was clearly a very much stripped down version for a tablet and more like the older version I remember. 
  • Carter said:
    My atrocious GCSE results are partly down to the 1996 versions of this game, and I'm confident I'm not alone. 

Whats the way people play now? I always was of the mind that PC was best for the mouse control but the last version I played must have been 2003 I'd guess was so complex and so many "things" to do compared to the classic version I couldn't envisage doing all that on a console. 

Say I decide to get really filthy and obtain this latest procrastination machine for a laptop, where and how do I get this and also can I get hold of a 1996 version so I can prove to people that Claude Makelele was once a slightly stocky right winger for PSG 
    You'd download a programme called steam or epic games, which is basically the platform that you buy games on. 

As for playing 1996 championship manager:

https://oldgamesdownload.com/championship-manager-96-97/

That will probably work.
  • Carter said:
    cafctom said:
    Carter said:

The game is so detailed now. You need a lot of spare time to properly take it on.

Weirdly, I actually don’t play it much but I absolutely love hearing stories of other people playing it. 
    Once you worked out what bargains to sign and sell on it, the perfect formation and who to put in it (an attacking 4312) it was very feasible to take throw Pat Holland out of his job at Leyton Orient and take them to the champions league final. 

I too love the stories of the game and the legendary anomaly where a player tragically dies pre season and the club gets an enormous windfall and while its sad the player died, right, the fans rejoice at Rushden & Diamonds suddenly having 50 mill in the bank 

I did find a version of the game from 2011 I think that was clearly a very much stripped down version for a tablet and more like the older version I remember. 
    I’ve been playing since CM 00/01, read a lot of stuff over the years and watched things like the documentary they made a few years back and never seen that before.

On the versions of the game there are 3, full with all the detail, touch which is the tablet version (also available on PC/laptop) and mobile, the most basic version. I’m not sure where the Xbox one fits into that or if it’s a fourth version. I’ve always played on a PC or laptop.
  • Sponsored links:

• Scoham said:
    Carter said:
    cafctom said:
    Carter said:

I’ve been playing since CM 00/01, read a lot of stuff over the years and watched things like the documentary they made a few years back and never seen that before.

On the versions of the game there are 3, full with all the detail, touch which is the tablet version (also available on PC/laptop) and mobile, the most basic version. I’m not sure where the Xbox one fits into that or if it’s a fourth version. I’ve always played on a PC or laptop.
    Like I say, the stuff of legend and myth, my mind could be playing tricks on me but either I had a really young, good player have to retire and got a massive payout or he died. The only reason I have thrown death into the mixer was because I heard Josh Widdecombe and Chris Scull mention this on their 90s football podcast and its made me question everything 
  • Scoham said:
    I absolutely love FM but it comes in waves. Sometimes I really get the urge, play all day and night, then two days later I’m not interested. I’ve always wanted to be at a club for so long that your son comes through the youth ranks but I just don’t have the concentration.
    Know what you mean. I loved FM20, really got into various saves. Lockdown gave me a lot more time as I was spending every evening at home.

Never got into 21 in the same way. Had too many ideas for saves. Picked the wrong one to start with and never fully got into one. Being older and the game more complicated I only have time for one save.

Going to keep it simple with 22. Try out the new features with us on the beta and then take a team from the NL north/south to the top. Hopefully get a son along the way as I’ve never got one either.

I like the idea of playing in foreign leagues but find it’s a lot harder to get into, probably because I can’t relate to it. I wouldn’t know if most of the players were made up.
    Yeah, whenever I’ve started a Roma save, I always end up buying English players anyway!
  • After I was callously sacked by Crawley Town for failing to deliver their second champions league and premier league double in 2 years the ungrateful bastards sacked me, I took on the role of rebuilding Wenger, then Gareth Southgates Arsenal but that was about as rewarding as you can imagine and they just didn't have the squad to play my brand of direct but effective football so parted ways with them and took on my legacy with a move to La Liga in the shape of struggling rcd espanyol barcelona.  Brought in a real bargain Greek freebie frontman, reorganised them and truly built a dynasty bringing through both my sons, Bradley and John, the former also featuring for the English national team under my stewardship. John was a good industrial stopper of a centre half but Bradley was a cultured number 10 (AM/F/RLC) and capable of bring the ball up the pitch against anyone. I was finally retired out of the game and thanked by Espanyol fans lining the streets of Catalonia celebrating me usurping their traditional big city neighbours and making us top dogs and La Ligas conquerors, forging a new rivalry with the other top dogs Atletico Madrid 

Thats the only time I've got that far in the game, children and retirement as well as a seat on the board 
  • Carter said:
    After I was callously sacked by Crawley Town for failing to deliver their second champions league and premier league double in 2 years the ungrateful bastards sacked me, I took on the role of rebuilding Wenger, then Gareth Southgates Arsenal but that was about as rewarding as you can imagine and they just didn't have the squad to play my brand of direct but effective football so parted ways with them and took on my legacy with a move to La Liga in the shape of struggling rcd espanyol barcelona.  Brought in a real bargain Greek freebie frontman, reorganised them and truly built a dynasty bringing through both my sons, Bradley and John, the former also featuring for the English national team under my stewardship. John was a good industrial stopper of a centre half but Bradley was a cultured number 10 (AM/F/RLC) and capable of bring the ball up the pitch against anyone. I was finally retired out of the game and thanked by Espanyol fans lining the streets of Catalonia celebrating me usurping their traditional big city neighbours and making us top dogs and La Ligas conquerors, forging a new rivalry with the other top dogs Atletico Madrid 

Thats the only time I've got that far in the game, children and retirement as well as a seat on the board 
    you only played one of your sons while in charge of England?

bit ruthless 
    Carter is no Ged Roddy
  • Carter said:
    After I was callously sacked by Crawley Town for failing to deliver their second champions league and premier league double in 2 years the ungrateful bastards sacked me, I took on the role of rebuilding Wenger, then Gareth Southgates Arsenal but that was about as rewarding as you can imagine and they just didn't have the squad to play my brand of direct but effective football so parted ways with them and took on my legacy with a move to La Liga in the shape of struggling rcd espanyol barcelona.  Brought in a real bargain Greek freebie frontman, reorganised them and truly built a dynasty bringing through both my sons, Bradley and John, the former also featuring for the English national team under my stewardship. John was a good industrial stopper of a centre half but Bradley was a cultured number 10 (AM/F/RLC) and capable of bring the ball up the pitch against anyone. I was finally retired out of the game and thanked by Espanyol fans lining the streets of Catalonia celebrating me usurping their traditional big city neighbours and making us top dogs and La Ligas conquerors, forging a new rivalry with the other top dogs Atletico Madrid 

you only played one of your sons while in charge of England?

bit ruthless 
    He was fine if stopping was all you wanted but had a violent streak and was a walking red card, couldn't be trusted on the international stage 
  • Only seems like yesterday I got last years version 
  • Sponsored links:

• Charlton rebuild should be a fun save this time around…
  • First features video. Includes versus mode, data hub and wide centre backs.
  • Data hub feels like another one of those things they add that you look at for the first couple of days of playing and then never go back to again, like the Dynamics page. Oh, all the players like/hate you do they? Brilliant, not relevant though. They really need to overhaul the transfer system but it seems like that never gets a look and the game feels samey every year as a result. Which is crazy, because building your team is surely a lot more fun than forensically tweaking your overlaps so you can still concede a 94th minute goal against Norwich anyway. Maybe they will have this year but I'd be surprised. I'll still buy it mind
  • Data hub feels like another one of those things they add that you look at for the first couple of days of playing and then never go back to again, like the Dynamics page. Oh, all the players like/hate you do they? Brilliant, not relevant though. They really need to overhaul the transfer system but it seems like that never gets a look and the game feels samey every year as a result. Which is crazy, because building your team is surely a lot more fun than forensically tweaking your overlaps so you can still concede a 94th minute goal against Norwich anyway. Maybe they will have this year but I'd be surprised. I'll still buy it mind
    Interesting view, can I ask what you think is wrong with it? I'm not saying you are wrong at all, just not something that ever crossed my mind. 
  • Dynamics is useful, I’ve struggled more without leaders in the squad.

I’d say it’s like the medical centre and development section, it’s likely that it’s mainly existing information reorganised. I never really used either.
  • Scoham said:
    First features video. Includes versus mode, data hub and wide centre backs.
    Didn't see this in there, does versus mode mean that I can line my team up against a friend's team online?

To be clear, I don't want to share a save with someone and play an online game together, I want to put my team up against his. 
  • edited September 2021
    Huskaris said:
    Data hub feels like another one of those things they add that you look at for the first couple of days of playing and then never go back to again, like the Dynamics page. Oh, all the players like/hate you do they? Brilliant, not relevant though. They really need to overhaul the transfer system but it seems like that never gets a look and the game feels samey every year as a result. Which is crazy, because building your team is surely a lot more fun than forensically tweaking your overlaps so you can still concede a 94th minute goal against Norwich anyway. Maybe they will have this year but I'd be surprised. I'll still buy it mind
    Interesting view, can I ask what you think is wrong with it? I'm not saying you are wrong at all, just not something that ever crossed my mind. 
    Multiple things to be honest. It's horribly outdated, fairly illogical and lacks any kind of feeling of a transfer battle developing between two clubs. The transfer system has been the same since Champ Man 01/02. Offer an amount, have it rejected, suggest a higher amount for a player valued at £3m, get quoted £117m and a non-negotiable 50% sell on fee, repeat with no nuance forever. Two buttons. There's no actual negotiations with some back and forth and a feeling of ongoing communication over a transfer. When teams want to make a big signing, the formal approach is made and the dialogue starts. The two teams never start with the same valuation but there's back and forth constantly for weeks in the form of conversations and there's sometimes only one or two formal bids in there. Sancho to United took over a year and the teams constantly discussed his valuation and when they might be willing to let him go. In the game it's just staccato bids and you never really get the feeling that there's an ongoing transfer saga over the summer like there is in real life. You also don't have big teams throwing their weight around as much as in real life. There's a couple of public options to try and unsettle players but it's so limited. The reality is that if Man Utd want to unsettle a Newcastle player there's a lot of ways they can do that publicly and privately to do so.
    How teams offer for players is a mess as well. I've had teams offer weirdly high bids for young players that aren't actually very good before, like £13m for a £2m 19 year old who will never break into your first team, but when a team comes in for your top players it's a mess. In the game I'm playing at the moment I'm Chelsea and I've won the Prem three years in a row and the Champions League two. Despite being clearly the best team other big clubs are capable of unsettling my players easily. That's fine, whatever, but these teams will then bid £48m for a player valued at £50m. I'll reject that, because obviously, and the player will become unsettled and the opposition team will never meet my valuation even if it's reasonable. They'll barely even offer the valuation. Conversely, if I were bidding for that same player with the roles reversed I wouldn't be able to get him for less than £150m and unsettling the player wouldn't have any effect. I've also noticed that this only seems to affect the player, as if you give up on that player he can then move to another AI club for £100m less than you were quoted. It's bonkers. It's also impossible to sign a player with a minimum fee release clause for less than that fee, even if you're offering Mallorca £50m for a player. Mostly though, in a game where you can analyse what your players' bowel movement looked like that morning at training, I'd like transfers to be a bit more complex than holding down the mouse on the plus button every year
    Thanks a lot for that. Having read it through, I completely agree with you. 
  • I always find it difficult to sell players, even players with a decent value offered for £0 no-one wants them. That's the most frustrating part of fm for me.

• Does anyone remember the, I think 94/5 version of Champ Manager (floppy disk days on the Amiga), where a bug in the game meant that Tranmere started with approx 30m rather than 3m?

Absolutely obsessed with it as a child in the mid to late 90’s, but never had the time or desire since really. 

Remember having to buy the Italian version separately in those early days. Great memories.