Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Life under the Waves…Serial Channel 5 Monday evenings.

A series about a billion pound nuclear submarine HMS Trenchant….very interesting indeed.
130 on board, four of whom are Michelin starred chefs……blimey, can you believe that! 🍽

Comments

• A series about a billion pound nuclear submarine HMS Trenchant….very interesting indeed.
    130 on board, four of whom are Michelin starred chefs……blimey, can you believe that! 🍽
    Did you see all the custard they were loading on....
  • A series about a billion pound nuclear submarine HMS Trenchant….very interesting indeed.
    Did you see all the custard they were loading on....
    Don’t you mean Sauce Anglais.
  • Michelin Starred grub:
    that's where the defence budget goes...
    No wonder we can't afford the planes for our one and only aircraft carrier!
  • Watched, very enjoyable. 
    Mitchelin star chefs is a bit different to mitchelin star grub, steak and chips is still steak and chips. 😉
  • T_C_E said:
    Watched, very enjoyable. 
    Mitchelin star chefs is a bit different to mitchelin star grub, steak and chips is still steak and chips. 😉
    I thought the reference to Michelin stars was the logistics officer being sarcastic about his crew's criticism of the 'scran' they were presented with, and not stating that his cooks were Michelin trained ?
  • I do wonder what drives a young man to volunteer to spend months at a time with a load of other blokes in a cramped vessel hundreds of feet under the sea.
    I once had a chat with an ex nuclear missile sub crewman. He claimed that he volunteered to get away from it all and that as on board he had nil expenses his salary soon mounted up to big money and allowed him to buy a nice house at a young age.
    He also said that on patrol the crew (except senior officers) never knew where they were. It could be off Iceland or off Jamaica. This drove some blokes crackers and they would (e.g.) hold thermometers against the sides of the vessel to get clues from the water temperature. All in all, it sounded like a very strange life.
    This chat was forty years ago, all might be a lot different now
  • T_C_E said:
    Watched, very enjoyable. 
    I thought the reference to Michelin stars was the logistics officer being sarcastic about his crew's criticism of the 'scran' they were presented with, and not stating that his cooks were Michelin trained ?
    I didn’t think that was the case at all Lincs.
  • T_C_E said:
    Watched, very enjoyable. 
    I didn’t think that was the case at all Lincs.
    well, we think differently
  • I do wonder what drives a young man to volunteer to spend months at a time with a load of other blokes in a cramped vessel hundreds of feet under the sea.
    I once had a chat with an ex nuclear missile sub crewman. He claimed that he volunteered to get away from it all and that as on board he had nil expenses his salary soon mounted up to big money and allowed him to buy a nice house at a young age.
    He also said that on patrol the crew (except senior officers) never knew where they were. It could be off Iceland or off Jamaica. This drove some blokes crackers and they would (e.g.) hold thermometers against the sides of the vessel to get clues from the water temperature. All in all, it sounded like a very strange life.
    It doesn't really mater if you are not getting out anywhere!
    It doesn't really mater if you are not getting out anywhere!
    might not matter to you, but it seems to have mattered a lot to some crewmen in the situation I wrote about ((:>)
  • Sponsored links:

Yes it is……they have Michelin trained chefs for starters.😄😄😄.
    No chefs and starters quips please!
    Yes it is……they have Michelin trained chefs for starters.😄😄😄.
    No chefs and starters quips please!
    that deserves a quick quip .. were the Michelin trained cooks cooked and served up as starters .. rum the lash and cannibalism rule the navy  :o
  • anyway, the programme (first in a short series) was very interesting and deserves a look
  • anyway, the programme (first in a short series) was very interesting and deserves a look
    Agree 100%…..I for one can thoroughly recommend it.
    A mate of mine in the fire brigade used to be a submariner. 
    He said when he joined the Royal navy  all the new recruits were asked  who wants to go on a sub.
    No one volunteered  so a few of them were picked out at random including him.
    But he did enjoy his 4 year stint. 
    Not sure I would. 
  • episode 2 .. seems the sub has as many problems as the fictional 'Vigil' .. won't say too much to prevent spoilers
  • Predictable.