Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Petition to keep pedestrian crossing open!

The pedestrian crossing near Westcombe Park station is under threat yet again, and as a resident of the nearby developments I'm asking fellow Charlton fans (that's you lot) to sign this petition to help us keep it open, or for tfl to offer a suitable alternative crossing in the same location. 

Many people coming from the Charlton side of the A2 use this crossing to get to the footbridge that provides a useful shortcut up to Westcombe Park station, a footbridge that becomes largely useless for many people without the adjacent crossing over the freight railway.

The reason for the crossing has been given as it's dangerous etc etc but in reality the train only comes in once or twice a day, so the likelihood of being hit by a train is virtually nonexistent.

Thank you!

http://chng.it/CVYdZ46cmN

Comments

• The petition said in would be closed in 2019 so why start a petition now?
  • The petition said in would be closed in 2019 so why start a petition now?

Did you read the update from 6 days ago?

• I just want pedestrian crossings to be black and white or controlled  by traffic lights or both.

You can stick the LGBT rainbow ones where the sun doesn't shine. 
    The strips are confusing, the paint fades as it is not light fast and the dopey council didn't  consider  that.

They face the wrong way down the road. 

Drivers often don't realise what they are and I have nearly been run down twice. When driving they are a menace. 

Start a petition on pointless political road markings and I will sign yours.

What has politics to do with Road signage except in the strange mind of councillors and governments. 
    I assume the Tories sanctioned the legality of these  'My Kittle Pony' horrors.
    You're running away with this 'shit take of the week' award. It's not even a contest. Kudos. 
  • I just want pedestrian crossings to be black and white or controlled  by traffic lights or both.

The strips are confusing, the paint fades as it is not light fast and the dopey council didn't  consider  that.

Drivers often don't realise what they are and I have nearly been run down twice. When driving they are a menace. 

What has politics to do with Road signage except in the strange mind of councillors and governments. 
    That is one hell of a weird post?🥴🥴🥴

That is one hell of a weird poster?🥴🥴🥴

• bobmunro said:
    I just want pedestrian crossings to be black and white or controlled  by traffic lights or both.

That is one hell of a weird poster?🥴🥴🥴

Really.  Admittedly  it has not a lot to do with a rail crossing, one of which existed at Charlton crossing and one between Belvedere and Abbey Wood. 

These were more dangerous than the one at Westcombe Park. I am surprised any exist now given Council safety concerns. 
    Yet they produce dangerous rainbow crossings all over the place. 

However it has validity in it's own right. The rainbow crossings are the weird thing .
    It's not them that's the weird thing... 😬
  • Sponsored links:

• I remember this crossing from my childhood.

If it is closed, aren't we talking about a trip down Fairthorn Road to Woolwich Road, then along to Farmdale Road and back up the other side?

And that's if you are already at the Gurdon Road/Fairthorn Road junction.

I make that about 300m extra footwork ... and probably less if you are coming from anywhere other than Gurdon Road.

I love heritage like this, but there isn't a case, is there?
  • https://www.change.org/p/network-rail-please-don-t-close-the-angerstein-railway-pedestrian-crossing/u/29604749?cs_tk=AvZJjIYBJUdVMisPS2EAAXicyyvNyQEABF8BvDmY8fnMq31Rw0bOJdZLBro=&utm_campaign=7a5290f7cb9341a294a41d91ce90e40f&utm_content=initial_v0_5_0&utm_medium=email&utm_source=petition_update&utm_term=cs

15 SEP 2021 — 
    This morning we received the following excellent news from our MP Matthew Pennycook:
    Good morning all,
    I have just concluded a (remote) meeting with John Halsall, Network Rail’s Managing Director (Southern Region), and I’m very pleased to inform you that the planned closure of the Angerstein crossing has now been cancelled.
    It would appear that, as a result of the collective pressure we exerted, an independent review was commissioned by Network Rail which concluded that there are sufficient grounds in this case to disapply the national algorithm that the organisation uses to determine safety risk at individual crossings.
  • The amount of money NR waste on level crossing safety issues is insane.
    An unfortunate consequence of safety improving and injuries reducing significantly elsewhere in the rail industry.
    Whilst this is obviously a good thing, it has meant that level crossings are now around the top of the list of fatalities, so this is where the focus is for further improvement. 
    In principle a level crossing is not much different from a road junction and no one would propose closing these en mass because a few idiots can't use them responsibly. 

• Used it before the Cheltenham game and saw there were notices up saying it would not be closed.
  • Dave Rudd said:
    I remember this crossing from my childhood.

If it is closed, aren't we talking about a trip down Fairthorn Road to Woolwich Road, then along to Farmdale Road and back up the other side?

And that's if you are already at the Gurdon Road/Fairthorn Road junction.

I make that about 300m extra footwork ... and probably less if you are coming from anywhere other than Gurdon Road.

I love heritage like this, but there isn't a case, is there?
    I tuck into my humble pie lunch with delight.
  • There are pedestrian only level crossings in London, going over busier electrified lines, where there is a potential safety risk, but this one is such a small risk - one train crawling in and out of the wharf a day - that it should be way down the list of crossing proposed for closure
  • There are pedestrian only level crossings in London, going over busier electrified lines, where there is a potential safety risk, but this one is such a small risk - one train crawling in and out of the wharf a day - that it should be way down the list of crossing proposed for closure
    There are more trains using the line now.

When Network Rail replaced the old wooden gates with metal ones they got the measurements wrong. The new gates are too big and get wedged in the open position.

Reported it to them several times and no action taken.
  • Sponsored links:

• Crusty54 said:
    There are pedestrian only level crossings in London, going over busier electrified lines, where there is a potential safety risk, but this one is such a small risk - one train crawling in and out of the wharf a day - that it should be way down the list of crossing proposed for closure

When Network Rail replaced the old wooden gates with metal ones they got the measurements wrong. The new gates are too big and get wedged in the open position.

What other trains are using the line?
  • Crusty54 said:
    There are pedestrian only level crossings in London, going over busier electrified lines, where there is a potential safety risk, but this one is such a small risk - one train crawling in and out of the wharf a day - that it should be way down the list of crossing proposed for closure

Wrong sort of gates?
  • sam3110 said:
    Crusty54 said:

Aggregate trains between Angerstein and various other distribution terminals and Hither Green Sidings, typically 2-4 per day in each direction, , although there are a lot more timetable slots throughout the day. 
    Occasional charter passenger trains for rail enthusiasts, up to 1 or 2 per year.
  • sam3110 said:
    Crusty54 said:

Aggregate trains between Angerstein and various other distribution terminals and Hither Green Sidings, typically 2-4 per day in each direction, , although there are a lot more timetable slots throughout the day. 
    Occasional charter passenger trains for rail enthusiasts, up to 1 or 2 per year.
    Phwooooooaaarrrrrrr
  • I had a flat back in the 80's that backed onto this line. Freight  trains would come down that line in the early hours and being on a bend the noise was horrendous. Also the train would stop for long periods with its engine running. 
    But during the day if a train came down the line I could see it from my back garden patio. Addick heaven, my  own private viewing platform.
  • edited September 2021
    sam3110 said:
    Crusty54 said:

I see others have responded on this. My early journey from Woolwich Arsenal to work was often delayed by a train heading for the wharf and the signalman failed to arrive.
  • Crusty54 said:

Wrong sort of gates?
    Welded steel and would be fine if they were the right size or they fitted stops. They are too long and get stuck on concrete surrounds.