Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Car question - advice gratefully received

I was driving through fog on Saturday and there were clear patches and foggy patches. As I was driving a really thick patch suddenly engulfed me. Life lesson to drive much slower in these conditions has been well and truly learned, but I was heading for a curb. I steered away and just caught it with the front wheel – As I applied the brakes, I couldn’t have been doing more than 20 at the time. I immediately came to a stop after hitting it but my front right wheel was facing one way and my front left the other. The rest of the car looks fine –no impact or scratches. No airbags were deployed. I have a puncture on the right rear where I also must have caught the curb whilst steering away. The engine was running fine and there were no leaks but obviously I couldn’t move as steering was messed up. I have a recent Fiat Punto. I have to wait until tomorrow to get the accident assessment, but would anybody know how big a job the repair is likely to be? I tried googling but couldn’t find anything that gave me an idea. Thanks for any help.

Comments

• Probably broken a track rod (part of the suspension/steering) or damaged the steering rack. Neither are big jobs, especially if it's just a rod. If you do replace it yourself, make sure you get the steering geomotery (tracking) checked out. Most tyre places will do this.
  • Probably broken a track rod (part of the suspension/steering) or damaged the steering rack. Neither are big jobs, especially if it's just a rod. If you do replace it yourself, make sure you get the steering geomotery (tracking) checked out. Most tyre places will do this.

This. But particularly as you clumped the rear too make sure you use a firm that has four wheel alignment kit. This checks more angles and will sort out potential issues with "toe" as well as tracking.
  • edited November 2015
    Daggs said:

This is my application to join the spelling police:

Your car did not hit our former manager 'Curb' It hit the Kerb............ :)

It depends on where the poster is from, if he is an American curb is correct.
  • No car advice, but driving advice: please SLOW DOWN when driving in fog. I know that @MuttleyCAFC has learned the lesson, but, ,to anyone reading this, if you can't see the kerb at the speed you are driving, you're driving too fast. (Which means that, if you can't see it at all, you shouldn't be driving at all).
  • edited November 2015
    Update is car suffered suspension and steering damage that means it is not economical to repair! Seeing as it cost me £5,500 just 4 months ago, it must be pretty damaged! Bodywork hasn't got a scratch on it!
  • Really? Did they say exactly what had broken?
  • edited November 2015
    Steering -totaly disconnected, right front suspension, rear right suspension. Seemed such a slight collision for so much damage - no marks on car, we are all fine - no whiplash etc...... Company is AVIVA! Any advice on how to stop them stitching me up on valuation?
  • Any advice on how to stop them stitching me up on valuation?

Havent the foggiest

Sorry. I'm in one of those moods :P
  • Sponsored links:

• it is best to laugh sometimes - at least it is taking my mind off the football!
  • I know what you mean. Just had to replace my brakes, timing chain and battery. Still more entertaining than the match
  • Update is car suffered suspension and steering damage that means it is not economical to repair! Seeing as it cost me £5,500 just 4 months ago, it must be pretty damaged! Bodywork hasn't got a scratch on it!

Mate someones tucking you up there.
  • All that damage for kissing a kerb at 20mph?

Have they given you a quote for a new speedometer as well?
  • I'm actually surprised your insurance covers this ? You sure, your covered.

My lad hit curb wrote off his car only looked like a damaged front wheel luckily only had it a few weeks and they paid out full purchase price

Why wouldn't you be? Unless you had third party only
  • I only bought it 5 months ago and got a great price, getting examples from autocar and they are all more expensive with slightly more mileage. I have the money to buy a new car without waiting for their settlement so can hang on for a fair price before settling. They are sure to try a low one for starters, but they have to pay me what it would cost to replace for similar locally and I won't take the money until I get it. If I bought similar independently, that ought to be pretty compelling evidence how much it costs to replace!
  • When they offer you a low amount email back rejecting the offer with a link to autocar search showing prices of similar spec cars within 50 miles of your location. Make sure you only have dealer cars ticked. Can also add link to parkers guide prices. We did this couple of months ago and our offer went up from 6700 to 8000
  • Old thread resurrection alert!....looking for any advice (I know the square route of nothing about cars)

I've got a Hyundai Sante Fe 4WD Automatic 65 plate....a few months back I noticed a 'knocking' under the car every now and again when reversing, no other problems.
    Car went in on the 1st Sept for a full service (platinum job) and MOT where I mentioned the knocking (have used the same garage for 10+ years with no issues)
    MOT and service completed, few bits needed doing, however garage said they couldn't see anything with regards to the knocking.
    Sound still happening every now and again.
    Out this morning and all of a sudden there's a loud bang like something fallen out from under the car. I stop and check and oil pissing out from underneath and a real clunking when driving. As I'm not far from garage I drive straight there and leave car with them.

Call a few mins back, the 'transfer box' has blown and broke through the outer casing?!?!...apparently the transfer box is something to do with the 4WD and should last a lifetime (we've literally used the 4WD once since we bought the car 3 years ago)
    Garage quoting me 4k to replace/repair and have suggested I contact Hyundai direct given that there could be a 7 year warranty on the car - I'm skeptical but will call their customer service etc.

Question really - anyone know anything about cars to know if I'm being fobbed off here, should the service have picked up the fault (especially as I raised the issue) or is it the case (as the garage are claiming) that a service wouldn't have detected the problem as the part in question is fully hidden etc.???
  • Sponsored links:

• If it is a generally long lasting part and indeed one you hardly use, would it be worth getting the part from a breakers or online? I notice there is a Hyundai Santa Fe 2.2 crdi transfer box on e-bay for £180.
  • Old thread resurrection alert!....looking for any advice (I know the square route of nothing about cars)

I've got a Hyundai Sante Fe 4WD Automatic 65 plate....a few months back I noticed a 'knocking' under the car every now and again when reversing, no other problems.
    Car went in on the 1st Sept for a full service (platinum job) and MOT where I mentioned the knocking (have used the same garage for 10+ years with no issues)
    MOT and service completed, few bits needed doing, however garage said they couldn't see anything with regards to the knocking.
    Out this morning and all of a sudden there's a loud bang like something fallen out from under the car. I stop and check and oil pissing out from underneath and a real clunking when driving. As I'm not far from garage I drive straight there and leave car with them.

Call a few mins back, the 'transfer box' has blown and broke through the outer casing?!?!...apparently the transfer box is something to do with the 4WD and should last a lifetime (we've literally used the 4WD once since we bought the car 3 years ago)
    Garage quoting me 4k to replace/repair and have suggested I contact Hyundai direct given that there could be a 7 year warranty on the car - I'm skeptical but will call their customer service etc.

Question really - anyone know anything about cars to know if I'm being fobbed off here, should the service have picked up the fault (especially as I raised the issue) or is it the case (as the garage are claiming) that a service wouldn't have detected the problem as the part in question is fully hidden etc.???
    Transfer Box = ££££££

I was panicking when my Land Rover Defender went wrong and I thought it could the Transfer Box - luckily it wasn’t the problem, otherwise I faced a BIG bill

I don’t believe they would have found it during the service

Worth searching internet to find out if this is a common problem on these vehicles

Transfer Box = ££££££

I was panicking when my Land Rover Defender went wrong and I thought it could the Transfer Box - luckily it wasn’t the problem, otherwise I faced a BIG bill

I don’t believe they would have found it during the service

Worth searching internet to find out if this is a common problem on these vehicles
    I have just done a quick search, and it seems that this a common problem…..
  • Transfer boxes very rarely fail on a car so new - unless you are constantly swapping from on to off road and back again.

The box is key to ensure the 4wd operates correctly and although not a too expensive component, the labour will really push the bill up, along with the ancillaries that will probably be best to replace at the same time. I'd say a minimum of four hours and will probably need two guys to work on it because of the weight of components like drive shafts and having to remove exhausts and other bits and pieces which will probably get in the way of the box - just your small unimportant parts like gearbox, UJs, fuel lines, cats, and break lines.

I'd go to Hyundai initially as they pride themselves on the seven year warranty. Even if you're just over the limit, I suspect they may assist you as a good will gesture, even if it's a big discount on the transfer box,
  • I'm awaiting a call back from Hyundai, cheers

we've only used the 4WD once in 3 years

all I can find online is that they give a 5 years warranty - am hoping it's 7 !

@Lordflashheart
    Yeah I did a bit of a search but couldn't really find anything 
  • I'm awaiting a call back from Hyundai, cheers

we've only used the 4WD once in 3 years

all I can find online is that they give a 5 years warranty - am hoping it's 7 !

@Lordflashheart
    Yeah I did a bit of a search but couldn't really find anything 
    They have tinkered with their warranty arrangements over the years it might depend on the model year. But the warranty is currently five years.  It is Kia which has a seven year warranty. (Which is all a bit odd as Hyundai kind of owns Kia and they co-ordinate the release of new models so they don't clash with each other and share platforms, drivetrains, engines etc, etc.)
  • There's no way a transfer box should fail after 6 years. I'm assuming the car has done less than 100k miles.

Doesn't Hyundai require you to service the car through them in order to keep the warranty alive?
  • There's no way a transfer box should fail after 6 years. I'm assuming the car has done less than 100k miles.

Doesn't Hyundai require you to service the car through them in order to keep the warranty alive?
    No manufacturers can insist on servicing through them to keep a warranty valid. They can ask you to use parts manufactured by them but they can't make you use them to carry out the work. You just need to take all the correct paperwork with you when the warranty requires annual validation.

got a full service history etc 
  • Addickted said:
    Transfer boxes very rarely fail on a car so new...........
    Not my experience, granted it was putting out a lot of Torque but my old Cayenne (December 2013) had two transfer boxes in the first 5 years and I'm told is just about to get it's third replacement! Part was over £6k, thankfully all three times under Porsche warranty as must have been an 8k+ job.

Generally you get a rumbling before they go, as in simple terms it's like a gearbox. 

I don't know the car in question but did it/should it ever have had the fluid changed?