Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

A World Cup every 2 years

Seems that this idea is gaining momentum and might well be signed off by next year. 

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/58506448

The plan will include:

• A biennial World Cup in even years.
  • Confederation tournaments (including the European Championship) in odd years.
  • Either one (October) or two (October and March) mid-season international breaks, for a month in total, when qualifying for major tournaments will take place. Groups of four countries are envisaged, with a play-off, for a maximum of seven matches.
  • Guaranteed rest periods for players once tournaments are over.

Whilst having extended international breaks for qualifying isn't a bad idea, as it will mean less breaks in the season and qualifying is done quicker, i just can't see how having a major international tournament EVERY summer is a good idea. 

Under the new proposals, there will be a world cup one year, Euro's/Copa America the next, world cup the next and so on. Players will never again get a summer off.

Comments

• Also no idea how they will 'guarantee' rest periods for players after tournaments when most leagues start one month after a tournament final. And you can't start league seasons later because the next summer there will be another tournament.

So if this goes ahead domestically there will probably be calls for less games, so i think it will lead to the league cup being scrapped and eventually the PL will push for a reduction to 18 teams.
  • Bad idea. Just greed.
    This. It’s on top of expanding it to 48 teams.

It also means even less time to fit in the qualifiers.
  • Its greed and sounds like a bad idea, but the thought of every other summer getting pissed up with your mates watching England in a World Cup is beautiful.
  • i actually love it. Copa is every 2 years so is the African tournament. What’s not to like. No silly friendly and less qualifying games. I probably have 20 years left to live and seeing 10 world cups is better than watching 5. 
  • edited September 2021
    Seems that this idea is gaining momentum and might well be signed off by next year. 

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/58506448

The plan will include:

• A biennial World Cup in even years.
    • Confederation tournaments (including the European Championship) in odd years.
    • Either one (October) or two (October and March) mid-season international breaks, for a month in total, when qualifying for major tournaments will take place. Groups of four countries are envisaged, with a play-off, for a maximum of seven matches.
    • Guaranteed rest periods for players once tournaments are over.

Whilst having extended international breaks for qualifying isn't a bad idea, as it will mean less breaks in the season and qualifying is done quicker, i just can't see how having a major international tournament EVERY summer is a good idea. 

Under the new proposals, there will be a world cup one year, Euro's/Copa America the next, world cup the next and so on. Players will never again get a summer off.
    So as CoS says that would mean they’d have to cram the qualifiers into a shorter period, basically increasing the frequency of international breaks. Calling off the gills game pissed me off, albeit charlton might have actually benefitted from it this time, so it’s a no from me to the proposal 
  • Doubles the chance of seeing England win a major tournament in my lifetime. 

What's not to like! ;-)
  • Not for me.
  • Sponsored links:

• Totally against it, every four years it should stay.
  • can't see it happening 
  • Stupid idea, but sign me up if it means we may have half a chance of hosting it any time soon. 
  • edited September 2021
    Wengers justification that it was “for the fans” must have stuck in his throat. It’s bullshit, just a chance for FIFA execs to double up on brown envelopes
  • The transfer market will suffer tremendously, some may say this is a good thing.
    Who is going to pay mega millions, plus enormous salaries for players that are only going to be available for short and sporadic periods?
    This ain’t gonna work.

• Why not alternate every two years between a World Cup and an U21 World Cup?
  • Agree with everyone’s comments re: greed.

Purely from an England fans perspective- it’s probably not a bad thing when it looks like we are going to have a period of the best team in most peoples lifetimes. Boosts the chances of it coming to fruition!
  • more world cups to not qualify for? nah your alright.

would cheapen a win IMO, the world cup is the big one, it only comes around once every 4 years meaning players have less chances to win it or even play in it and that's one of the things that makes it special 
  • Sponsored links:

• i actually love it. Copa is every 2 years so is the African tournament. What’s not to like. No silly friendly and less qualifying games. I probably have 20 years left to live and seeing 10 world cups is better than watching 5. 
    Not sure if you’re being ironic?
    If not, then have you really thought this through?
  • Hate the idea . Wenger can do one 
  • Glad to see that FIFA have learnt its greedy lessons from the reign of Sepp Blatter
  • edited September 2021
    I absolutely love the World Cup. For me, it is the ultimate football event and I do everything possible to make sure I engross myself in every aspect of it that I can. I even listen a weekly podcast series about the World Cup, even when it’s not running.

On one hand, I love the idea of there being more high-stakes international football that the country can get behind. And if it were to happen then I’m sure I’ll embrace it.

However, I can’t help but think that the thing that makes it such a special tournament is the fact that it is every 4 years. It has a ‘holy grail’ feel to it. If you don’t win it, you have to wait another 4 years - there’s no guarantee for any fan nor player that you’ll win it. That’s what makes each tournament feel so important and emotional.

World Cup years every 4 years have a historic feel to them. If someone brings up the years 2002, 2010, 1994 etc - I generally think about the fact it was a World Cup year. The element of nostalgia and emotional connection will likely be lost with a doubling of frequency.

But then again, I’m speaking as a fan. All of the above means absolutely nothing to FIFA and their balance sheet.

Its well documented that as an organisation they only make a profit 1 year out of every 4.
  • Unlike The Hundred, which drives revenue to clubs and helps to identify and nurture new, young players and fans, this is a terrible idea. 
  • edited September 2021
    I also read that John Terry and Michael Owen were being flown out to Qatar to discuss their opinions on the re-formatting.

Sorry, but what on earth has it got to do with them? They’re not going to be spending their money to go around following the tournament every two years. And neither will be playing.

So obvious that FIFA are just lobbying to bring as many ‘ambassadors’ along as possible to speak in support of the idea. 
  • Addickted said:
    Why not alternate every two years between a World Cup and an U21 World Cup?
    You mean this competition...? - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FIFA_U-20_World_Cup
  • It already surprises me that in this day and age clubs release players to play for their country with no compensation. 

Man City pay 100 million for Grealish and then pay wages of 5 million a year in order for him to play for Man City. Shouldn't the FA or FIFA make some sort of contribution? That's without consideration to insurance premiums in case of injury, which must be huge.

Clubs have refused some players to travel due to Covid19 so maybe they'll start thinking about always doing it if FIFA take the piss like this.