Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Cider - What’s Your Favourite?

On a recent holiday to Cornwall  stumbled’ across a cider farm ,went on the tractor ride , did the behind the scenes factory self guided tour.

And ended up in the shop on the tasting samples bit.

But… I had never heard of this company before I went https://healeyscyder.co.uk/

Ive never seen it in the shops, or in a pub , the brand is Rattlers and they do it in 
loads of different flavours.

Even got into tasting their gin and brandy, which blew my head off, not really my bag at all, but anyway a brilliant day out, worth a visit if you’re down that way anyway.

Bur it got me thinking, if I’ve gone 50 plus years and never heard of this company (usuallly have a strongbow or bulmers) how many other cider, or for some reason they put a ‘Y’ in the name, whether it’s a traditional spelling, or one to make them sound different) how many other Cider manufacturers are there in the uk, well over 450 apparently, according to our friends at google.

So anyhow, got me thinking is cider much loved / hated, and if you do like it what’s your favourite?

I know it used to be perceived as a ‘teenagers first tipple’ so to speak, (well it was back in the day) but they really have come on a lot.

Comments

• edited September 2021
    Love cider. There used to be a cider shop in Chelmsford that has loads of different ones. You could bring a bottle and fill up with cask.

The owner now supplies the pubs, so always a decent selection. I'm quite partial to Aspals (3 for £5 in Tesco):in the average pub if I want something sweet and fizzy, and don't mind old Rosie as well for some strong scrumpy vibes. If you can however try to find Thundering Molly, a decent session cider.

I was recently on holiday in wells next the sea in Norfolk and found this place. Recommended!

https://www.whinhillnorfolkcider.co.uk/

• edited September 2021
    Beer festivals.now tend to have a decent cider tent,.but be careful as many are well over 7%
  • McBobbin said:
    Beer festivals.now tend to have a decent cider tent,.but be careful as many are well over 77%
    Knew they were strong, but blimey....
  • If you are ever in Somerset, this place is a bit unusual. http://wilkinscider.com/about/
    You certainly cant drive after visiting it.

• I am really enjoying Aldi’s rhubarb and ginger cider at moment. Bit sweet for some maybe but a lovely aftertaste 
  • McBobbin said:
    Beer festivals.now tend to have a decent cider tent,.but be careful as many are well over 77%
    Hahaha edited!
  • McBobbin said:
    McBobbin said:
    Hahaha edited!
    You’ve really let me down. I was all up for taking in a few beer festivals…. now I know they only do weak Cider I won’t bother. Thanks a lot. 
  • Just to add, posting this subject matter early in the morning, I’m not an alky honest, and I’m lucky my wife doesn’t drink!

• Henry Westons Vintage Cider. It is 8.2% so not a session drink. There is always a cold one in my fridge. 
  • quite enjoy a nice pint of Stowford Press when in a pub. At home it's normally whatever was on offer at Sainsbury's and in the fridge.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited September 2021
    Henry Westons Vintage Cider. It is 8.2% so not a session drink. There is always a cold one in my fridge. 
    I mistakenly bought some of this a while back. Had been to the pub after work and was rushing for the train. Fancied another drink so popped into tesco. There was a rubbish selection so just grabbed a couple of bottles of this. Thought it tasted a bit odd at first but put it down the fact I'd been drinking Magners before. After a while I realised something wasn't right and read the label. Sweet Jesus, I'd bought two aswell. Never drank the 2nd one. Think my old man cooked some fish in it instead! Bit strong for me.
  • Great choice @Mendonca In Asdas ... Went to Healeys a few years ago myself and did all that.

Now hooked on the stuff not that I'm an alcoholic either, was back in Cornwall this summer and brought back about three cases of various flavours (find the Strawberry & Lime etc. a bit nicer than the Original).

Even got a bottle of their Whiskey this year and I've never been a fan of spirits.

Like you, before going down there I'd never heard of the brand.

Morrisons are probably your best bet if you want to pick up a bottle or two as they do the Original in there, if you want any others like the Berry etc. or whatever then you have to order online and get it delivered, although they only send in cases of 12 rather than getting individual bottles.

Did you try any of the Strawberry Wine - Or was it out of stock?
  • Not sure how anyone can drink the chemical filth that is Magners - bloody stuff gives me a sulphite headache after half a pint. You must have a more robust constitution than me!
    Have brewed a couple of cloudy ciders in the Pinter and they've come out lively - tart, refreshing and no additives.
    One I do like is Gwynt y Ddraig autumn magic, which you have to hunt down. Not massively into fruity ciders, but this has blackberry juice in it, not just flavourings, and is lovely.

• I really like the scumpy that they sell at Healeys. Would love to be able to get it in London 
  • I have good memories of drinking Old Rosie when I was a poor student. Two pints of that would put me in a haze. 
  • used to be Bristol Scrumpy .. but not drunk cider for a loooong time
  • If anybody is a fan of Aperol Spritz, you can substitute the prosecco for a strong dry cider
  • I like any cidre from Normandy.
  • edited September 2021
    My number one drink , cant stand Lager / Bitter . i do like  Stella Artois Cidre .

• When on the way to drinking myself to oblvion,  Westons white top.

Now.  Adams ale
  • Sponsored links:

• Used to be Westons.
  • Best cider is Cheddar cider, gorgeous scrumpy that is both cloudy and flat and leaves your legs far less functional than they were before you looked at it

Old Rosie is good, no-nonsense falling over juice, can't stand the overly sweet, heartburn inducing stuff like magners, bulmers or strongbow, all for the chicks that stuff 

One thing with cider, drink enough of it and you will shit yourself, no ifs or buts m, it will happen. The sensible cider drinker will take a spare pair of underpants neatly folded like a pocket square out with them. Pear cider is particularly dangerous 
  • Overall is this: West Croft Cider Farm
    01278 760762
    https://maps.app.goo.gl/7yy1e3TgSx2oQ5QC7

Mainstream ones, no comparison...Westons
  • Black Irish
  • Weston's Rosie Pig with rhubarb is nice on a hot day.
  • Remember a swift half with my mate and was on the old rosie... Ok only had four pints and got home at 10, wife still sat up in bed reading, not late at all and well within my curfew.  Don't particularly remember going to bed but the Mrs had to sleep with the kids on a camp bed as I was snoring so loudly, and in the morning my clothes were lined up In na neat row on the floor leading to the bed, shoes,.socks, trousers pants top, it was like I'd vanished. I don't know how my top ended up in that position. Luckily I didn't shit myself but had a photo finish when it kicked it and birthed a compost heap. Great stuff.
  • Anyone wanting to a non alcoholic apple drink should try Cidona
  • Chunes said:
    I have good memories of drinking Old Rosie when I was a poor student. Two pints of that would put me in a haze. 
    As youngsters we would get k cider in the black bottles as they looked different. It's put me off cider for almost 30yrs.

• Usually Weston's from the supermarket. Either vintage or the organic (6% so easier going). Co-op down the road does a nice own brand 6%. Local farm shop does proper local stuff, bring your own bottles and fill from tap. Most of it strong. Strange things happen after a few, witch-craft I reckon.
  • edited September 2021
    Dicken's is my favourite.    

Great YouTube ad as well.