Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Fever Pitch BBC TV

I am surprised that there is no mention on here, not any that I've seen at least. The story of the formation and rise of the Premier League. Nice bit of nostalgia that should interest all football fans. 
I expect there will be a few comments damning the money saturated 'big clubs' and how they have ruined the 'people's game', but own up everyone, who amongst us would not like to see our CAFC up there playing and winning at the top of the Premier League table.

Come on you Addicksssssss   

Comments

• I watched it, some cracking footage, the United squad having a party till 4am at “Brucey’s house” despite not winning the title yet, brilliant. The dip in attendances since the World Cup win as well was clear it meant something had to happen.

It’s hard not to have admiration for the PL I must admit, they should however just take note that a lot of the talent up there comes from the football league, and recognise that with a better distribution of wealth.
  • edited September 2021
    Look at League 1 & count how many teams have been in the Premier League over the past 30 years.

Us
    Sunderland
    Portsmouth
    Wigan
    Bolton
    Sheff Wed
    Ipswich 
    MK Dons (as Wimbledon)

• Look at League 1 & count how many teams have been in the Premier League over the past 30 years.

Us
    Sunderland
    Portsmouth
    Wigan
    Bolton
    Sheff Wed
    Ipswich 
    MK Dons (as Wimbledon)

You can't have the last one mate  :/
  • Look at League 1 & count how many teams have been in the Premier League over the past 30 years.

Us
    Sunderland
    Portsmouth
    Wigan
    Bolton
    Sheff Wed
    Ipswich 
    MK Dons (as Wimbledon)

not forgetting founder member Oldham .. now in the bottom 2 of L2
  • I watched it, some cracking footage, the United squad having a party till 4am at “Brucey’s house” despite not winning the title yet, brilliant. The dip in attendances since the World Cup win as well was clear it meant something had to happen.

It’s hard not to have admiration for the PL I must admit, they should however just take note that a lot of the talent up there comes from the football league, and recognise that with a better distribution of wealth.
    I thought they had the party because they had won the title?
    Even though they had one game to play. 
  • edited September 2021
    I am surprised that there is no mention on here, not any that I've seen at least. The story of the formation and rise of the Premier League. Nice bit of nostalgia that should interest all football fans. 
    I expect there will be a few comments damning the money saturated 'big clubs' and how they have ruined the 'people's game', but own up everyone, who amongst us would not like to see our CAFC up there playing and winning at the top of the Premier League table.

Had it not been for the invention of the Premier League then there would have been a stronger chance of clubs like Charlton being able to compete at the top of the pyramid, rather than ring-fencing it for just the biggest brands.

I watched it, some cracking footage, the United squad having a party till 4am at “Brucey’s house” despite not winning the title yet, brilliant. The dip in attendances since the World Cup win as well was clear it meant something had to happen.

Correct
  • I watched it and enjoyed the nostalgia element of it, but also found myself getting wound up by those who made it quite clear they were acting in the interest of making money out of Americanising the game with their silly gimmicks.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited September 2021
    cafctom said:
    I watched it and enjoyed the nostalgia element of it, but also found myself getting wound up by those who made it quite clear they were acting in the interest of making money out of Americanising the game with their silly gimmicks.
    The chants of what the f#%#%#% hell is that, soon put paid to that. 

as I saw it they were already assured of the title .. I learnt something from the prog .. I thought that Blackburn won the first Prem title  .. who won the second ?.. Blackburn ? .. all will be revealed .. the emphasis on Mon U and Blackburn was I think to contrast the Goliath v David situations of the two clubs .. as for @o@Off_it's comments about 'the money', there was a lot of comment on the lines of 'we knew that marketing would be crucial' , no bones were made about it, cash and profit were major factors behind the Prem. Interesting also how Murdoch put up £300 Million as seed money, without him would the project have survived?
    One point which wasn't mentioned although it may come up later, was the later Thatcher government's move to make all stadia all seater, a deterrent to hooliganism and a move towards more women and children attending games, this probably made the Premier League and football in general more attractive to the more 'genteel' folk
  • cafctom said:
    I watched it and enjoyed the nostalgia element of it, but also found myself getting wound up by those who made it quite clear they were acting in the interest of making money out of Americanising the game with their silly gimmicks.
    Yeah, agree. When David Dein told that story about when he went to an American football game and people kept getting up for hotdogs all the time, you could literally see the pound signs in his eyes.
  • Off_it said:
    cafctom said:
    Yeah, agree. When David Dein told that story about when he went to an American football game and people kept getting up for hotdogs all the time, you could literally see the pound signs in his eyes.
    Yes it was sickening. 

as I saw it they were already assured of the title .. I learnt something from the prog .. I thought that Blackburn won the first Prem title  .. who won the second ?.. Blackburn ? .. all will be revealed .. the emphasis on Mon U and Blackburn was I think to contrast the Goliath v David situations of the two clubs .. as for @o@Off_it's comments about 'the money', there was a lot of comment on the lines of 'we knew that marketing would be crucial' , no bones were made about it, cash and profit were major factors behind the Prem. Interesting also how Murdoch put up £300 Million as seed money, without him would the project have survived?
    One point which wasn't mentioned although it may come up later, was the later Thatcher government's move to make all stadia all seater, a deterrent to hooliganism and a move towards more women and children attending games, this probably made the Premier League and football in general more attractive to the more 'genteel' folk
    United won the first 2 seasons, then Blackburn won in 95.
  • edited September 2021
    Since the Premier League was formed, 49 clubs have played in it. Of those 49, only six - Arsenal, Chelsea, Everton, Liverpool, Man Utd and Spurs – have played in the top flight every season. And, while the Premier League may pride itself on its competitiveness, only six of the 49 clubs to have played in it have actually won it.

Just SIX  permanents .. so that dispels any notion of 'ring fencing' .. London  and Lancashire rule .. no midlands or north east clubs.
    AND if you compare the six Prem with the pre-Prem winners, there is not a lot of difference ..  
    List of English football champions - Wikipedia
  • Since the Premier League was formed, 49 clubs have played in it. Of those 49, only six - Arsenal, Chelsea, Everton, Liverpool, Man Utd and Spurs – have played in the top flight every season. And, while the Premier League may pride itself on its competitiveness, only six of the 49 clubs to have played in it have actually won it.

Just SIX  permanents .. so that dispels any notion of 'ring fencing' .. London  and Lancashire rule .. no midlands or north east clubs.
    AND if you compare the six Prem with the pre-Prem winners, there is not a lot of difference ..  List of English football champions - Wikipedia
    I’d be keen to see the disparity in the clubs that finish in the top 4-6 places pre and post Premier League formation. 

Leicester’s achievement of breaking the top 6 in recent years certainly feels like a major rarity that went against every trend going. 
  • AND  .. no Englishman has yet managed a Premier League winner 
  • Since the Premier League was formed, 49 clubs have played in it. Of those 49, only six - Arsenal, Chelsea, Everton, Liverpool, Man Utd and Spurs – have played in the top flight every season. And, while the Premier League may pride itself on its competitiveness, only six of the 49 clubs to have played in it have actually won it.

AND if you compare the six Prem with the pre-Prem winners, there is not a lot of difference ..  List of English football champions - Wikipedia
    50 teams actually.
  • Sponsored links:

• Ross said:
    Since the Premier League was formed, 49 clubs have played in it. Of those 49, only six - Arsenal, Chelsea, Everton, Liverpool, Man Utd and Spurs – have played in the top flight every season. And, while the Premier League may pride itself on its competitiveness, only six of the 49 clubs to have played in it have actually won it.

50 teams actually.
    name the missing team .. for TEN points 
  • Ross said:

50 teams actually.
    I’ll name every single one for you if you like. One of my pointless bits of knowledge, along with being able to name every US state.
  • Ross said:
    Ross said:

50 teams actually.
    I’ll name every single one for you if you like. One of my pointless bits of knowledge, along with being able to name every US state.
    go for it
  • cafctom said:

Had it not been for the invention of the Premier League then there would have been a stronger chance of clubs like Charlton being able to compete at the top of the pyramid, rather than ring-fencing it for just the biggest brands.
    Some could say Sky killed football for certain supporters.
  • Ross said:
    Ross said:
    Ross said:

50 teams actually.
    go for it
    On my phone so apologies for formatting, and the order they’re in (my way of doing it):

Southampton
    Portsmouth
    Bournemouth
    Brighton
    Swindon
    Watford
    Reading
    Cardiff
    Swansea
    Ipswich
    Norwich
    Spurs
    West Ham
    Arsenal
    Chelsea
    Fulham
    QPR
    Wimbledon
    Palace
    Charlton
    Brentford
    Newcastle
    Middlesbrough
    Sunderland
    Everton
    Liverpool
    Blackpool
    Man City
    Man Utd
    Bolton
    Oldham
    Burnley
    Wigan
    Blackburn
    Huddersfield
    Leeds
    Sheffield Wed
    Sheffield Utd
    Bradford
    Barnsley
    Stoke
    Hull
    Derby
    Coventry
    Forest
    Birmingham
    Wolves
    Aston Villa
    West Brom
    Leicester

Washington
    Oregon
    California
    Arizona
    New Mexico
    Idaho
    Montana
    Wyoming
    Nevada
    Utah
    Colorado
    Oklahoma
    Texas
    North Dakota
    South Dakota
    Nebraska
    Kansas
    Minnesota
    Wisconsin
    Iowa
    Missouri
    Mississippi
    Louisiana
    Arkansas
    Alabama
    Florida
    Georgia
    South Carolina
    North Carolina
    Virginia
    West Virginia
    Tennessee
    Maryland
    Delaware
    Kentucky
    Michigan
    Illinois
    Indiana
    Ohio
    Pennsylvania
    New York
    New Jersey
    Vermont
    Maine
    Rhode Island
    New Hampshire
    Connecticut
    Massachusetts
    Alaska
    Hawaii
    Pukka, I’ve a similar pointless talent, I can name every winner of the top flight from 1980 onwards in order, still waiting for someone to ask me to do it at a party or sumin tho.
  • edited September 2021
    Ross said:
    Ross said:
    Ross said:

50 teams actually.
    go for it
    On my phone so apologies for formatting, and the order they’re in (my way of doing it):

Southampton

Ross said:
    Ross said:
    Ross said:

50 teams actually.
    go for it

Southampton

brilliant .. I guess that Brentford was the missing link .. and the forgotten Swindon & Bradford !! . that makes 3 ex prem clubs now in L2  .. thanks for that ((:>)
  • Swindon = Jan arg Fjortoft.  Baller he was.
  • Ross said:
    Ross said:
    Ross said:

50 teams actually.
    go for it

Southampton
    Portsmouth
    Bournemouth
    Brighton
    Swindon
    Watford
    Reading
    Cardiff
    Swansea
    Ipswich
    Norwich
    Spurs
    West Ham
    Arsenal
    Chelsea
    Fulham
    QPR
    Wimbledon
    Palace
    Charlton
    Brentford
    Newcastle
    Middlesbrough
    Sunderland
    Everton
    Liverpool
    Blackpool
    Man City
    Man Utd
    Bolton
    Oldham
    Burnley
    Wigan
    Blackburn
    Huddersfield
    Leeds
    Sheffield Wed
    Sheffield Utd
    Bradford
    Barnsley
    Stoke
    Hull
    Derby
    Coventry
    Forest
    Birmingham
    Wolves
    Aston Villa
    West Brom
    Leicester

Washington
    Oregon
    California
    Arizona
    New Mexico
    Idaho
    Montana
    Wyoming
    Nevada
    Utah
    Colorado
    Oklahoma
    Texas
    North Dakota
    South Dakota
    Nebraska
    Kansas
    Minnesota
    Wisconsin
    Iowa
    Missouri
    Mississippi
    Louisiana
    Arkansas
    Alabama
    Florida
    Georgia
    South Carolina
    North Carolina
    Virginia
    West Virginia
    Tennessee
    Maryland
    Delaware
    Kentucky
    Michigan
    Illinois
    Indiana
    Ohio
    Pennsylvania
    New York
    New Jersey
    Vermont
    Maine
    Rhode Island
    New Hampshire
    Connecticut
    Massachusetts
    Alaska
    Hawaii
    You’ve missed one.

(joke)
  • Swindon = Jan arg Fjortoft.  Baller he was.
    Remember beating Swindon at their place with a Kim Grant winner years ago. They'd just sold Fjortoft that week i think and we all did his famous airplane celebration while singing damn busters! Seems like a lifetime ago!