Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Scenes at Brazil v Argentina

Surreal: Brazil v Argentina stopped inside 7 mins by Brazilian Federal Police walking on field to detain 4 Argentinian Premier League players who failed to disclose they are based in Britain, breaking COVID protocols upon entering Brazil. Chaos ensued

Comments

• So why did it take Brazilian Police so long to realise they were in the country?
  • It's on Premier Sports 1. Been watching from the start. The Health Officials were on the sidelines shortly after kick-off and you could see there were some heated discussions going on. About 5-6 mins in they just waltzed on to the pitch and stopped play. Brazilian players are still on the pitch now.
  • What on earth
  • I say stopped, it's currently 'suspended'. Brazilian players still being on the pitch makes me think they're hoping for a resolution.
  • Brazilian players seem to now be warming up. Reports that some (or all) Argentinian players have left the stadium.
  • Should have played the game in Portugal.  
  • Argentina to leave the stadium and Brazil to hold a training session instead (unconfirmed as yet).
  • Sponsored links:

• Bloody ridiculous Spurs gave permission for GLC and Romero to travel in the first place, given they have to quarantine for 10 days on the way back in a Govt hotel.

They were supposed to be getting round it by heading to a Croatian island to train in isolation but that looks doomed now.
  • Good little practice match going on between the Brazilian players (in one half of the pitch). Plenty of (attempted and successful) showboating going on.
  • JohnBoyUK said:
    Bloody ridiculous Spurs gave permission for GLC and Romero to travel in the first place, given they have to quarantine for 10 days on the way back in a Govt hotel.

They were supposed to be getting round it by heading to a Croatian island to train in isolation but that looks doomed now.
    I think the issue (quite rightly) is down to the Brazilian authorities upholding their country's Covid rules. Seems absolutely daft that the Argentinians decided that they should be above the law. It seems everyone knew the rules beforehand but decided to forge ahead anyway. Did they think no-one would know that 4 of the Argentinian players play in the UK & therefore have just recently traveled from there ? 

Stupidity reigns in S. America. 
  • edited September 2021
    So Argentina, apparently forged documents and 100% broke the law, but you want to award them the points? 

Also an article in The Athletic would suggest they were told to isolate or leave Brazil prior to the match. 

• According to the BBC, the four players were told to remain in quarantine pending deportation. Instead they travelled to the stadium and started the game. 

Argentine coach talking all sorts of bollocks - they’d complied with all the health protocols (apart from the mandatory 14 day quarantine). Also, nobody had said the players awaiting deportation couldn’t play the game. 

I’m not sure why they didn’t just have them make three substitutions, march the four players off to jail, and carry on. 

I assume they will replay this, but it should be a big fine for Argentina
  • Brazil have a shite record for COVID, not excusing the Argentinian players, the media profile looks deliberate though.
  • JohnBoyUK said:
    Bloody ridiculous Spurs gave permission for GLC and Romero to travel in the first place, given they have to quarantine for 10 days on the way back in a Govt hotel.

I think the issue (quite rightly) is down to the Brazilian authorities upholding their country's Covid rules. Seems absolutely daft that the Argentinians decided that they should be above the law. It seems everyone knew the rules beforehand but decided to forge ahead anyway. Did they think no-one would know that 4 of the Argentinian players play in the UK & therefore have just recently traveled from there ? 

Stupidity reigns in S. America. 
    Apparently if you are a Brazilian citizen you cant have covid tho.

Because Willian was allowed to train 2 days after joining his new club from Arsenal without have to isolate or anything despite coming directly from London all because he is a Brazilian citizen.

Seems like its one rule for them and one rule for everyone else in their country.

Also as you say, people know these 4 play for English clubs, so if it was an issue,

why not stop them entering the country?
    Why not stop them yesterday?
    Why not stop them this morning?
    Why not stop them during the warmups?
    Why not stop them when lineups where announced?

To me this smacks of Brazil  not wanting to face Argentina without, Ederson, Richarlison, Firmino, Fabinho, Gabriel Jesus and Fred.

So they waited till the game had started forced the game to be abandoned hoping that fifa will get it either replayed and those players will be available or award them the 3 points because of Argentina having the players in their country.

Personally i think if fifa award the points to anyone it should be Argentina because Brazil could have done this at so many intervals before the game but purposely waited

It literally is exactly that. The quarantine rule only applies to foreigners, not Brazilian nationals.

The whole thing is a farce though, Argentina were in Brazil for 3 days prior to the game. Why not go public with an announcement that these players should not be here, and if they play we will abandon the game, then it would've been firmly the fault of Argentina with no excuses. Now there's a lot of back and forth with nobody really knowing exactly what the actual truth is. Brazil will say one thing, Argentina will claim something else. A public statement as soon as the players arrived in Brazil would've been enough to prevent all this.

I don't think Brazil were desperate to call the game off though, they still had a pretty decent side out and are well clear at the top of the qualifying group.
  • Not like the Argies to break the rules. South American football is farcical.
  • Sponsored links:

• Chizz said:

STATEMENT ON FIFA WORLD CUP 2022 QUALIFYING MATCH BRAZIL VS. ARGENTINA

(Zürich, September 8, 2021)  

FIFA today announced sanctions following the abandonment of the FIFA World Cup qualifying match between Brazil (hosts) and Argentina (visitors) on September 7, 2021. 

Submissions have been made by the match referee and by CONMEBOL, the continental governing body for football in South America. 

Following careful and detailed analysis of the submissions, and taking into account the health and safety aspects of players, officials, sponsors and supporters, FIFA has decided to cancel the game, and deduct three points from both teams.  This is the fairest and most reasonable way to deal with this unprecedented issue.  

In keeping with FIFA's hard-earned reputation for fairness and acting within the game's best interests, the six points deducted from Brazil and Argentina have been sold to Qatar for an undisclosed brown envelope. 
    You missed the last bit!
  • To be fair that had me half convinced until the very last sentence... Now I fully believe this to be genuine.
  • I hear Wigan and Ipswich have both made late bids for the six points
    Nah.......will be given to either Sheff. W or Derby. The EFL just need to know who will give them the biggest bung. 
  • Brazil have a shite record for COVID, not excusing the Argentinian players, the media profile looks deliberate though.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/09/05/world/americas/covid-south-america-reprieve-vaccines.html?referringSource=articleShare
  • It looks like Brazil couldn't play their English based players and Argentina tried to get round it despite being told the English based players couldn't play. The situation may have been handled badly, but surely Argentina is the country that will face the associated punishment.
  • It looks like Brazil couldn't play their English based players and Argentina tried to get round it despite being told the English based players couldn't play. The situation may have been handled badly, but surely Argentina is the country that will face the associated punishment.
    Argentina claim they had approval from the Brazilian authorities I believe. It could well have been a lack of communication between the Brazilian federal government and their health authorities. Ridiculous situation regardless though.