Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

What’s our best starting 11?

edited September 2021 in General Charlton
On the back of a successful deadline day, we’ve been able to add some real reality into all three areas of the pitch. 

Who is a must start, who do we drop? It’s certainly interesting to see how Adkins goes about setting up the team against Cheltenham in a couple of weeks.

To me, this is our strongest 11 on paper:

Can anyone make a case for something else? 

Comments

• Not saying you are wrong in your selection as personally I have no idea but what a position for NA to be in now with our squad. Your starting team has no place for Washington, Innis, Lee, Morgan, Clare, Dobson, CBT. I supose that is why he is the manager as I would struggle. It is a good place to be though
  • Lee is too good to leave out. Utilise players at full pelt even if for 60 mins. Subs are just as essential as starters as we learnt from Chuks time.
  • Definitely Lee over Leko as the former is a genuine No10. Leko may be able to force his way in but he's on the bench for me at the minute. If he was to play with Kirk, DJ and Stockley in the front 4 I'd have him down the left with Kirk just off Stockley.

I'd probably go Clare over Gilbey as he offers something different. Admittedly he needs to improve but really liked what I saw last night. CM defo open to debate and the players will need to fight for the spots. 

Inniss starting on the basis generally he's been very good. Lavelle could well force his way in but I don't know enough about him. Agree with the other 8 from the OP. 
  • Lee for me is the one to drop into the gap behind Stockley. I see Leko and DJ battling it out for that berth.

Inniss / Lavelle will rotate if as I suspect a 40 game season is never gonna be an option for Ryan.
  • Would put Lee in for Kirk and play Leko wide as the opening forward gambit. Gilbey...not sure of his recovery yet; Clare gives us that box-to-box dynamism and Morgan gives us ball-playing. Players can force their way in easily though!
  • Also, my last two times seeing Dobson I've marked him 3 and 8.5. If we can unearth the latter more often he might come straight in
  • What about the two players for every position thingy?
    I also think there is an aspect of team selection that goes who plays well with who. The hand in glove scenario.
    Two lesser players together, if they play well as a combination, can be more beneficial than two talents doing their own thing.
  • Personally I would have Lee for Leko if only for the fact that I think Lee has a dozen goals in him
    This + Innis starts for now if fit - done nothing wrong and has the shirt to lose
  • Sponsored links:

• Only question for the back 4 is Levelle straight in/better than Inniss? 

The 2 in the middle of midfield would be Arter and JFC if everyone was fit.  As JFC is out until at least Xmas I would say now it's Arter and Morgan.  I think Gilbey struggled deeper last season.   Gives you 3 quite different options as cover as well.

Lee has to be the 10, at least until Gilbey is fit.

Any 2 from Leko, Kirk and DJ is very strong for this level.

Stockley picks himself.

What it does, straight away, is it means we can change 2 of the 4 and 1 of the 2 after an hour or so without making us weaker.  Which means we can press higher and faster knowing we can make those changes. 
  • Gilbey isn't going to be a number 10 ahead of Lee
  • When selecting a team I think you have to think beyond the 11 and think 13 with 2 impact subs, who those subs are and when they are introduced will depend on how the game is progressing. By using 2 subs in this way it leaves a third to be used for unforeseen circumstances.
    So of our players available who can make a 30 minute impact on a match, while I like the original 11 I would bring in Lee for Leko and make Leko the impact sub.
  • edited September 2021
    4-3-3 - Gotta have two workhorses in the middle with this formation, and pace out wide.

MacGillivray
    Matthews, Inniss, Famewo, Purrington 
    Clare, Arter
    Lee
    Leko, Stockley, Kirk

4-4-2 - Wouldn’t start  Leko wide in this formation, think Lee would also miss out as the midfield two will need lots of energy.

MacGillivray
    Jaiyesimi, Clare, Arter, Kirk
    Stockley, Leko 

3-5-2- Perhaps one for if we are away to a Wigan or Ipswich, as we will lose the threat of the wingers with this formation but be a lot more solid in the spine.

MacGillivray
    Lavelle, Inniss, Famewo 
    Matthews, Gilbey, Arter, Lee, Purrington 
    Leko, Stockley

My personal choice is 433 as it allows us to start with our better players.  Harsh on DJ and Gilbey both of who I like but they will certainly get used even if our best XI stay fit.
  • 4-3-3 - Gotta have two workhorses in the middle with this formation, and pace out wide.

MacGillivray
    Clare, Arter
    Lee
    Leko, Stockley, Kirk

4-4-2 - Wouldn’t start  Leko wide in this formation, think Lee would also miss out as the midfield two will need lots of energy.

MacGillivray
    Stockley, Leko 

3-5-2- Perhaps one for if we are away to a Wigan or Ipswich, as we will lose the threat of the wingers with this formation but be a lot more solid in the spine.

MacGillivray
    Lavelle, Inniss, Famewo 
    Leko, Stockley

My personal choice is 433 as it allows us to start out better players.  Harsh on DJ and Gilbey both of who I like but they will certainly get used even if our best XI stay fit.
    Agree with this and I like the idea of having different formations although the 352 doesn't look great. 

Still think Leko has to earn his spot for now, DJ has probably been about our best player so far this season so very harsh to drop him anytime soon. Has real competition now though so has to keep it up or lose his spot. 
  • It's an interesting one I made a 442 and more of a 4231/433

MacGillivray

Matthews Lavelle Famewo Purrington

DJ Arter Gilbey Kirk

Stockley Leko

MacGillivray

Matthews Lavelle Famewo Purrington

Arter Dobson

DJ Lee Kirk

Stockley. 

Great to have so many options! Wouldn't want to be Adkins making some of these choices. 
  • 4-3-3 - Gotta have two workhorses in the middle with this formation, and pace out wide.

MacGillivray
    Clare, Arter
    Lee
    Leko, Stockley, Kirk

MacGillivray
    Stockley, Leko 

MacGillivray
    Lavelle, Inniss, Famewo 
    Leko, Stockley

My personal choice is 433 as it allows us to start out better players.  Harsh on DJ and Gilbey both of who I like but they will certainly get used even if our best XI stay fit.
    Agree with this and I like the idea of having different formations although the 352 doesn't look great. 

Still think Leko has to earn his spot for now, DJ has probably been about our best player so far this season so very harsh to drop him anytime soon. Has real competition now though so has to keep it up or lose his spot. 
    Absolutely is harsh on DJ but I just had to pick one and by default Leko wins due to his experience higher up the league ladders. 
  • I would have Innis in for Lavelle and Lee for Leko (Leko off the bench would be an amazing option in L1). 
  • I'd say that's pretty much spot on for our best 11 with everyone fit. Although, I would say Lee is probably better suited for the no10 role. With Leko being more of an impact sub. 

I know Gilbey hasn't played at all so far but, as last season showed, he thrived under Adkins. With a solid run in the team i could see him hitting between 7-10 goals this year. The balance him and Arter hopefully can have when it comes to attacking and defending i think will work well and prove to be a quality midfield pairing.
  • -----------MacGillivray
    Matthews - Inniss - Famewo -  Purrington 
    -------Gilbey ------ Arter
    --------------Lee
    Leko-----------------------Kirk
    ------------Stockley
  • Sponsored links:

• Good team and a battle between DJ and Leko forming. Both exciting players! CBT will probably trump them now and move to Brentford in January.
  • mendonca said:
    Good team and a battle between DJ and Leko forming. Both exciting players! CBT will probably trump them now and move to Brentford in January.
    Why assume Kirk is immune from this battle? All up for grabs imo
  • there is a case for Lee at 10 and then either Leko wide right or Left.

Also a case for Inniss over Lavelle and even Morgan over Gilbey. 

That's without even mentioning Washington.

it is a nice problem to have.
    Agreed, I can’t say I’d be disappointed with any of those scenarios. The squad is so much better than it was 3 weeks ago. 

I’m wary of Inniss though, he’s clearly never going to be fully fit for a full season - which is a massive shame. I really expect to see Lavelle as a key man before too long.
  • Leuth said:
    mendonca said:
    Good team and a battle between DJ and Leko forming. Both exciting players! CBT will probably trump them now and move to Brentford in January.
    Why assume Kirk is immune from this battle? All up for grabs imo
    I see him as a leftie, not rightie :-)
  • Great problem to have as long as Adkins works it out and adapts well when necessary. Need to avoid doing a Bowyer and constantly rotating if things aren’t going well, we have the ability there to get results.

I don’t know the answer, got to see how they link up. It’ll be interesting to see if we go back to a form of 4-3-3 or stick with 4-4-2.
  • mendonca said:
    I think Kirk is the one with most to worry about. He needs time to settle in but with Leko and CBT ready to take his place, he needs to start providing goals and assists
  • sorry don't know how to delete the above post, ignore please.
  •                            Macg
    Matthews      Innis       Famewo     Purrington

DJ.               Arter      Gilbey.       Lee

Washington     Stockey

A lot depends on how Arter does, I was tempted to put in Morgan ahead of him but if properly fit surely he’s a step above.
    Washingtons underrated, and its 50/50 between Lee/Kirk. 
    Possibly harsh on Leko too, nice to have a few problems though
  • Scoham said:
    Great problem to have as long as Adkins works it out and adapts well when necessary. Need to avoid doing a Bowyer and constantly rotating if things aren’t going well, we have the ability there to get results.

I don’t know the answer, got to see how they link up. It’ll be interesting to see if we go back to a form of 4-3-3 or stick with 4-4-2.
    The difference is formation from Wigan to Crewe was subtle, the difference in execution was dramatic.  How much of that was down to the personnel and how much of that was down to the opposition is the key question. 

Adkins said that Washington would play behind Stockley against Crewe.  Morgan spent most of the first hour getting shouted at by Stockley for being in the wrong place against Wigan.

The beauty of the 4231/433 is you can tweek it to suit the opposition or situation without major positional changes.