Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Low budget // Steve Gallon not able to pick own targets

Reading a lot of people saying that “Roddy” is picking the players and Gallon has much less influence than previous seasons. Also that our budget is low end league 1?

Anyone else heard this?

Comments

• Saw the below earlier which is an example of the things I’m seeing over/over.

https://twitter.com/leefender74/status/1429115718872616962?s=21
  • Reading a lot of people saying that “Roddy” is picking the players and Gallon has much less influence than previous seasons. Also that our budget is low end league 1?

Anyone else heard this?
    You’re the last one to hear it. 
  • Not being competitive in League One is an all time low for this club. There's still time to correct it, here's hoping we do.
  • Not being competitive in League One is an all time low for this club. There's still time to correct it, here's hoping we do.
    I genuinely don’t think there is time.

We have bought 2 new midfielders, we ain’t going to replace them already. We are so so short. 
  • Reading a lot of people saying that “Roddy” is picking the players and Gallon has much less influence than previous seasons. Also that our budget is low end league 1?

Anyone else heard this?
    Lots of people have said it. Doesn't make it true.
  • Scoham said:
    Can you make signings like Stockley and Kirk with a low end League 1 budget?
    True, think we've snookered ourselves with Clare and Dobson, along with hoping JFC and Gilbey can get fit quickly.

Anyone else heard this?
    You’re the last one to hear it. 
    Clearly. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Scoham said:
    Can you make signings like Stockley and Kirk with a low end League 1 budget?
    Yes if the other 9 are getting paid peanuts. 

And if you have less squad members than you should. 
    Adkins made a comment last week  regarding being on a budget and that influencing squad numbers. So there might be something to that.
  • edited August 2021
    I think we should be careful blaming Roddy. It could well be his fault but we don't know. What I was hoping to see was us tie up Aneke. I thought it was a priority. When it didn't happen I expected to hear that we had offered him an improved contract but he decided to go to the Championship. It was all very quiet in terms of signing an obviously key player and I have a suspicion, rightly or wrongly, he might not have been offered anything too great. 

That is 15 goals off the bench lost and potentially more if he has more time on the pitch. You can't just replace that, but you could bring some players with goals in them, especially when we lost two midfielders with goals in them to illness and injury. But we haven't. Stockley came in but it didn't strengthen what we had, as we had him at the end of last season. Kirk is a good signing, but Millar is just as good at least. There were a few tweets from players that were a bit cryptic and they ultimately signed so there maybe wasn't much to them but it felt like we were not motoring forward all summer Signings of Stockley and Kirk has shown there is money there though! It feels like there is something we don't know going on. Is that Roddy though?

Anyway, so how were we going to make a push if we are weaker than last seasons team? Surely the objective was to be stronger or at least as strong as our end of season form was promotion form. Young players get their chance and force their way in They don't get played by default. It does seem there is an expectation they will step up but I would imagine Adkins knows that isn't how it works, so who thinks it does? The only person who might believe that is probably Sandgaard. I would be surprised if Roddy didn't get that and I know very little about him.

Anyone else heard this?
    A lot of people are quoting this too. I am.
  • edited August 2021
    Stockley and Kirk tranferers tells you that the low end League 1 claim is incorrect.

Also we are not in the top 2 money spenders because of Wigan and Ipswich; Adkins said we couldn't get near to the wages on a couple of Wigan new signings that we were interested in.

The dynamics of in and out going transfers may have changed but Steve Gallen's role, remit and work load had Increased long before Thomas Sandgaard and Ged Roddy were in the Building.

There isn’t really time, the time was early in the transfer window when we could compete with other teams in the division for the best players available and giving them a full (or close to it pre-season). Now we’re competing for the leftovers and hoping they can come straight into the side. 
  • edited August 2021
    Reading a lot of people saying that “Roddy” is picking the players and Gallon has much less influence than previous seasons. Also that our budget is low end league 1?

Anyone else heard this?
    One or two suggesting it might be the case but nothing more than guesswork and speculation.
  • edited August 2021
  • LoOkOuT said:

Anyone else heard this?
    A lot of people are quoting this too. I am.
    Not sure it’s a lot LoOkOut….I’d call it a few.
  • Sponsored links:

• Why would he bother - same old story - mid table this year for us. 
  • sam3110 said:
    Steve Gallon, is his tank half empty or half full? 
    Bit personal Sam?

Anyone else heard this?
    By the way mate…it’s Gallen not Gallon.
    Just saying.👍
  • I’ve come to the conclusion that Roddy doesn’t know what it takes to get out of this league. It’s alright buying players for the future or are younger, they haven’t got what it takes … period. We’re in for a long season of disappointment, in my opinion. 
  • edited August 2021
    It is in fact very much NOT true at all as per Adkins own words in an SLP interview - Gallen is still in charge of the scouting side of things - Adkins expressly says as much.

Now it does remain possible (okay, actually it's definite by now) that the new structure isn't working - but it's probably not a problem specially caused by Roddy personally - anyone else in the role would probably have a similar effect.

Plus, it won't be Roddy who actually sets the budget as it's not his money. If he does veto players on cost or limit what they can be offered that's because he's doing his job - which again, DOES cause us issues but it's not him specifically responsible for that.
  • I’m confident we’ll see some positive movement this week.
  • One thing I have wondered is what our scouting set up looks like?  And how does it compare to L1/ championship clubs?

Now that overseas players are that much more difficult to acquire given Brexit do you need an overseas presence?  

Was the scouting set up slashed and burnt by RD/ESI- I assume so.

Surely no coincidence we did well under Powell whom was PFA player liaison man I think so extremely well connected and liked.  Bowyer was different but was well connected.

Are Adkins connections as strong?  Was he out of the game long enough some of that has gone?  What connections does Roddy have in the market we are shopping?

In recent years we managed to pick Pope, Lookman and Aribo out of non league - who do we have looking for these gems?  You could argue the first two went some way to keeping the club afloat and if Pope was to sell for £20m or so then with Popes sell on; Lookman and him will have bought more to this club than the academy kids like Gomez, Konsa, Grant etc.

I guess the point I am making is, Is this beyond Roddy/Gallen and simply a factor of years of decay and cost cutting of scouting teams?
  • I’m confident we’ll see some positive movement this week.
    Shouldn’t that be in the  Elf’s constipation thread! 🚽🧻