Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Nanci Griffith - RIP

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-58212802

I'm very sad about this. A very engaging stage presence, great songwriter and she opened my ears to a lot of other voices

Comments

• RIP Nanci.

Lovely singer and songwriter

• Love her music, which will live on.

Sad day.
  • Haven't been so affected by a musician's death in a long time. Been playing a lot of her stuff today she was so lovely. Got 6 lps of hers from mid 80s to early 90s
  • edited August 2021
    One of the greatest songwriters / storytellers. Saw her many times in the 80s 90s 00s. She also introduced me to numerous other wonderful performers.
    She will be sorely missed.
    https://youtu.be/2GK462XnRjQ
  • edited August 2021
    Very sad news, my wife introduced me to Nancis music, at the time it was a long way from my usual diet of crash bang wallop, but I found it totally enchanting. Went to see her a number of times, usually at the Albert Hall with her band,  but on one occasion at the Fairfield Halls with a full orchestra, the songs were so good they adapted seamlessly. Whenever I saw her it was a good night, one of those rare people that somehow made the world seem a nicer place when you were in her company.

RIP
  • A brilliant writer and voice, she opened the way for much "new country" and laid a foundation for many of their crossover successes.  RIP.
  • This is a shock.

Saw her at the Albert Hall and loved her voice and sound.

Great lyrics too.

So sad.

RIP
  • Sponsored links:

• TELTEL
    edited August 2021
    Very sad, such sad news. The last twelve months have been so shitty. Fortunate to have seen Nanci perform live  probably more often than any other musician. 

She had a way of connecting with her audience like no other performer I've ever seen. Every time I saw her, no matter the size of venue she gave such a warm and engaging performance. 

She introduced me to
    many musicians I probably would have never discovered. 

The speed of the sound of loneliness (John Prine) comes instantly to mind as does 
    Her own song, Love at the five & dime. 

We have lost yet another genuinely good, no, great human being. 

RIP Nanci x
  • edited August 2021
    She was massively popular in Ireland when I was a student, just about everyone of a certain age that I've talked to since her death was announced has mentioned her passing with sadness.

TEL said:
    Reading the article, some unexpected memories came flooding back, the mention of Major cigarettes in the John Prine message, a real blast from the past, when cigarettes could be advertised and sponsor sporting events. 
  • She was massively popular in Ireland when I was a student, just about everyone of a certain age that I've talked to since her death was announced has mentioned her passing with sadness.

TEL said:
    Reading the article, some unexpected memories came flooding back, the mention of Major cigarettes in the John Prine message, a real blast from the past, when cigarettes could be advertised and sponsor sporting events. 
    Indeed, she was huge in England from the early nineties right up until the early 2000's. She often spoke of Ireland with great fondness and that shows in her song Grafton St. I Cant believe how sad this has made me in all honesty, far more than any other musician Ive followed.

She battled cancer more than once, I guess the third time of asking may have been too much.
  • Wow RIP one of my best mates loves her, as a fan he will be devastated.