Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Vuelta a España

Vuelta starts tomorrow - all Covid tests have come back negative. Apparently has the strictest protocols of any of the three GTs (though I'm sure we heard that about the Tour and Vuelta as well...)

Other than the intrigue of Froome and Carapaz for Skineos, there's lots of British interest from some very unexpected riders making the roster of teams you wouldn't normally expect. Harry Tanfield for instance, is riding for AG2R (continuing on the theme of 'Riders who smashed Leroy out of sight in races when they were still juniors' :D) and Fred Wright, Scott Davies and Stevie Williams all lining up for Bahrain McLaren, along with Hugh Carthy at EF and Mark Donovan at Sunweb

Expect JV to walk it though - their team is arguably as strong as it was at the tour and, provided Roglic doesn't have another horror show like he did at the TT on day 20 there, he should win comfortably. The sprints should be shared between Sam Bennett and Pascal Ackermann

Comments

• Can’t wait for stage 6 and the Col du Tourmalet. 

Then day 12 with the Angliru. Love it. 

Jumbo likely to have it, but it’s gonna be a fascinating race. I have a feeling Carapaz may be there or thereabouts 

• Look like the Tourmalet stage is likely to go ahead based on the forecast (snowed up there a lot recently, but it's clear for the next week). Going to be f***ing cold though 😳

The Angliru is a cruel, cruel bastard of a climb. It really has no place being on a bike race - like the Zoncolan it seems it exists just to torment bicycle riders 😂
  • Look like the Tourmalet stage is likely to go ahead based on the forecast (snowed up there a lot recently, but it's clear for the next week). Going to be f***ing cold though 😳

The Angliru is a cruel, cruel bastard of a climb. It really has no place being on a bike race - like the Zoncolan it seems it exists just to torment bicycle riders 😂
    Great for spectators though 😀
  • No Tourmalet tomorrow  :/
  • So the sulky French have stopped both the Giro and Vuelta from crossing their borders.

Bit pathetic if you ask me - particularly the Giro as today would have added a little bit of spice.
  • Addickted said:
    So the sulky French have stopped both the Giro and Vuelta from crossing their borders.

Bit pathetic if you ask me - particularly the Giro as today would have added a little bit of spice.
    Although, to be fair, today was a good stage 
  • edited October 2020
  • Hugh Carthy superb 
  • That was brutal. I wouldn’t walk up that. Well done Hugh Carthy. 
  • Yes lad! Made on the climbs of Lancashire, that. Birdy, Cross o Greet, Whalley Nab, Anglezarke.

Legend! 
  • Sponsored links:

• Wow what a stage, well done Hugh Carthy. I thought he had shot his bolt but he came back stronger.
  • Gave me a stitch just watching it :joy:
  • Cav has re-signed with Deceuninck – Quick-Step, the team he previously raced with for three seasons, to ensure he continues his professional career into 2021.
  • stonemuse said:
    Cav has re-signed with Deceuninck – Quick-Step, the team he previously raced with for three seasons, to ensure he continues his professional career into 2021.

“I can’t explain how delighted I am to be joining Deceuninck – Quick-Step. I have never hidden my affection for my time with the team and to me this genuinely feels like I am coming home. As well as the incredible group of riders, I can’t wait to start working again with the staff, most of which were here during my first spell and were part of one of the most successful periods of my career, an era that I am immensely proud of,” Cavendish said after the announcement.

“Even with an extremely difficult and disrupted season this year, they have shown how strong and unified they are and I am hoping to add to even more. I can’t wait to be back in the Wolfpack.”

During his time with the Belgian squad, Cavendish took 44 victories including eight Grand Tour stage wins, and joins a star-studded line-up for 2021 at Deceuninck – Quick-Step, which boasts the likes of Julian Alaphilippe, Remco Evenepoel and Sam Bennett.

“Us and Mark share many beautiful memories and have a history that goes a long way back,” team boss Patrick Lefevere added. “During his [previous] three-year spell with the team, he didn’t just claim dozens of victories for the team, he showed amazing panache and what an incredibly dedicated team player he is. We are happy to have him return to our family, as he is a leader and brings across a wealth of experience that he can share with our young riders, but at the same time we are confident he still has something to give to the team.”

• I bet Bennett is over the moon.

So which one sets up the other for the final sprints?
  • stonemuse said:
    stonemuse said:
    Cav has re-signed with Deceuninck – Quick-Step, the team he previously raced with for three seasons, to ensure he continues his professional career into 2021.

“I can’t explain how delighted I am to be joining Deceuninck – Quick-Step. I have never hidden my affection for my time with the team and to me this genuinely feels like I am coming home. As well as the incredible group of riders, I can’t wait to start working again with the staff, most of which were here during my first spell and were part of one of the most successful periods of my career, an era that I am immensely proud of,” Cavendish said after the announcement.

“Even with an extremely difficult and disrupted season this year, they have shown how strong and unified they are and I am hoping to add to even more. I can’t wait to be back in the Wolfpack.”

During his time with the Belgian squad, Cavendish took 44 victories including eight Grand Tour stage wins, and joins a star-studded line-up for 2021 at Deceuninck – Quick-Step, which boasts the likes of Julian Alaphilippe, Remco Evenepoel and Sam Bennett.

“Us and Mark share many beautiful memories and have a history that goes a long way back,” team boss Patrick Lefevere added. “During his [previous] three-year spell with the team, he didn’t just claim dozens of victories for the team, he showed amazing panache and what an incredibly dedicated team player he is. We are happy to have him return to our family, as he is a leader and brings across a wealth of experience that he can share with our young riders, but at the same time we are confident he still has something to give to the team.”

I love Cavendish but dont see the point of this from Quick-Step - @Leroy Ambrose might be able to confirm or not but feels the whole peleton is desperate for Cavendish to beat the TDF Stage record but even I dont see him getting any closer now
  • Addickted said:
    I bet Bennett is over the moon.

So which one sets up the other for the final sprints?
    Think it could work out well for all ... don’t expect him to win much, if anything, but he can bring a lot of knowledge to the team 
  • stonemuse said:
    stonemuse said:

I love Cavendish but dont see the point of this from Quick-Step - @Leroy Ambrose might be able to confirm or not but feels the whole peleton is desperate for Cavendish to beat the TDF Stage record but even I dont see him getting any closer now
    This isn't about Cav winning races. He has zero chance of winning any. It's about what he brings to the team in terms of mentoring, service to other riders and being a road captain. He just wants to race - as a 47 year old trawling round Nat Bs for the love of racing my bike, there's something wonderful about a bloke who just wants to race HIS bike, even if it means taking a minimum wage contract for another year. God knows he doesn't need the money - he's a relatively shrewd bloke, will have banked a lot from his most marketable years and can afford to do what he loves for next to nothing.
  • stonemuse said:
    stonemuse said:

This isn't about Cav winning races. He has zero chance of winning any. It's about what he brings to the team in terms of mentoring, service to other riders and being a road captain. He just wants to race - as a 47 year old trawling round Nat Bs for the love of racing my bike, there's something wonderful about a bloke who just wants to race HIS bike, even if it means taking a minimum wage contract for another year. God knows he doesn't need the money - he's a relatively shrewd bloke, will have banked a lot from his most marketable years and can afford to do what he loves for next to nothing.
    Said it a lot better than I did  :D
  • Tom Pidcock announced he will ride the Vuelta this year ... looking forward to that and think he has chosen the right Grand Tour for his debut season at this level 
  • Sponsored links:

• Has he joined Ineos?
  • edited January 2021
    Addickted said:
    Has he joined Ineos?
    Addickted said:
    Has he joined Ineos?
    Yup, starts in February ... just finishing an excellent CX season 
  • Fuck me he's actually shorter than me! I would love to get my hands on a bike fitted for him. 
  • He smashed me to fucking bits in the Eddie Soens a few years ago, the little shit. This was a week after winning the Clayton spring classic (a proper hard man's race on some grippy northwest hills). He was 17 at the time. Different gravy, even then. 

Frightening thing is he went on to win Paris Roubaix juniors the next year, and the men's junior worlds time trial, so he can *literally* do anything. I hope he doesn't end up part of the Ineos sausage press and they let him do stuff like the Ardennes classics, Strade Bianche, Flanders etc. 
  • Does anyone know if any highlights are being shown on terrestrial TV this year,  as ITV 4 seem not to be broadcasting it,  which is a great shame. 
  • edited August 2021
    Does anyone know if any highlights are being shown on terrestrial TV this year,  as ITV 4 seem not to be broadcasting it,  which is a great shame. 
    It’s on Eurosport and GCN.

From a cycling website;

The race will be aired live in the UK and Europe on Eurosport, Eurosport Player and on GCN+. A subscription to Eurosport Player costs £6.99 for a single month, £4.99 for a year-long monthly pass, or £39.99 for a 12-month pass with a GCN+ subscription costing the same price.
  • Cycling News are saying and I quote:

"The race will be aired live in the UK and Europe on Eurosport, Eurosport Player and on GCN+. A subscription to Eurosport Player costs £6.99 for a single month, £4.99 for a year-long monthly pass, or £39.99 for a 12-month pass with a GCN+ subscription costing the same price.

Race highlights are available on GCN+ in Canada, while ITV4 will also run a highlights package in the UK".

• Will this be Valverde's last GT?
  • Cycling News are saying and I quote:

"The race will be aired live in the UK and Europe on Eurosport, Eurosport Player and on GCN+. A subscription to Eurosport Player costs £6.99 for a single month, £4.99 for a year-long monthly pass, or £39.99 for a 12-month pass with a GCN+ subscription costing the same price.

Race highlights are available on GCN+ in Canada, while ITV4 will also run a highlights package in the UK".

What I said. 

3 hours ago.