Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Signings needed/wanted?

Thought I would start a new thread instead of filling Rumours etc threads with this.
I think our priority must be two left sided players one attacking and a LB.
Also need a CB and another target man to compete with Stockley, somebody who will probably start 20 games...Stockley works so hard he will have to rotated.

Comments

• Jodi Jones at Coventry. Left sided full back/wing back. Returned from his third ACL injury but looks a decent player. Commentator on yesterday’s game said they were perhaps looking to loan him out. 
  • I'd still want a LB, RCB, CM, 2 Wingers and a striker to be honest. 

Could possibly just about survive without a CM or Winger and prioritizse the other four.

LB I'd go in for Joe Bennett, heard decent things about Manny Longelo from West Ham. CB no idea to be honest, nor CM. 

Wingers - Kirk, Sims, possibly a youngster from the Prem. 

Striker - I like Oliver from Gills or Hemmings from Burton. 
  • Some names to chuck in. 

LB  Charlie Daniels although he doesn't fit the profile of youngsters. We need a LB. 
    CB Conor Masterson at Qpr
    Left Footed midfielder Sean Goss ex Shrewsbury or Emyr Huws ex Ipswich are both available. I appreciate Huws has had injury problems. George MacEachran at Chelsea if we want a Premiership loan. 
    LW I would like a leftie as well as Kirk. Who was that Palace kid who scored in the friendly? With Clayden as well we would have four wingers. 
    ST I would like back up to Stockley. A Mark Bright style veteran maybe? 

I also would like a back up Keeper. 

Any of you guys know your U23 football got any tips? 

• In order of importance: 

LW
    LB
    ACM (to start in front of Morgan)
    RCB cover
    ST cover
    Another Wing Cover

The focus needs to be on creating and scoring chances, I don't think currently we have the players to do that. Need a goal-scoring midfielder and a winger capable of creating chances. 

Could possibly just about survive without a CM or Winger and prioritizse the other four.

LB I'd go in for Joe Bennett, heard decent things about Manny Longelo from West Ham. CB no idea to be honest, nor CM. 

No idea who but I agree with this, it's a 50+ season, we need a good sized squad.  I'd even go so far as saying 2 CMs given JFC isn't an option any time soon.

No idea who but I agree with this, it's a 50+ season, we need a good sized squad.  I'd even go so far as saying 2 CMs given JFC isn't an option any time soon.
    Possibly, I think 6 is enough in CM though as JFC makes it 7. Looks light at the minute with Gilbey out too but Vennings and Dempsey aren't complete unknowns so I feel one more would be sufficient. 
  • I posted this in the rumours thread the other day. Maybe already out of date on Kirk and Henderson.

I'm hoping for 4-6 signings. Anything less isn't going to be enough for anyone but the most optimistic of fans. Bringing in 7-8 would be great but it feels unrealistic when the club want a pathway for the youngters.

Clearly a LB (hopefully an attacking one, probably a loan, ideally permanent) and a left winger (Kirk?) are a must.

A RCB is also needed. I don't see a young Prem loan coming in as we can't guarantee regular game time (though I know we expect Inniss at least to pick up injuries). An older player either on loan or permanent therefore seems more likely.

Striker is a difficult one, Stockley was a 'big' signing and captained the team today. Assuming he's available he'll start most games. Perhaps another older player who will fight for their place and can also play out wide. Really need to find a way to bring someone in, otherwise an injury to Stockley leaves us hoping Davison can step up.

An experienced back up keeper might come in. If the rumours are true that's happening and it's Henderson. We've got a few young keepers and we should look to give them all game time via loans and u23 games.

That's the main five I'd expect us to target. I'd like a proven playmaker in central midfield and another winger but I don't see that happening in this window. Clayden's likely to be that winger and Morgan with the 10 shirt is someone Adkins sees growing into that playmaker role.
  • If we are going to continue lumping balls up to the front men we need a striker that is lurking, looking for the knock downs, no good getting a like for like striker like Stockley as they will have nobody to pounce on the ball when it is won in the air.

If Thomas & Nigel want promotion this year personally I think we need 5/6 players which is 50% of the team. 
  • If we are going to continue lumping balls up to the front men we need a striker that is lurking, looking for the knock downs, no good getting a like for like striker like Stockley as they will have nobody to pounce on the ball when it is won in the air.

If Thomas & Nigel want promotion this year personally I think we need 5/6 players which is 50% of the team. 
    I get what you are saying but we are going to be playing 433, I cant see us signing a striker to partner Stockley. Because of this I think we need a striker who can cover Stockley and come on to partner him if we are chasing a goal. Needs to be 6 foot plus and able to hold it up/win headers. 
  • Goalkeeper 
    centre half
    left back
    winger
    creative cm or two
    goalscorer 
  • Sponsored links:

I get what you are saying but we are going to be playing 433, I cant see us signing a striker to partner Stockley. Because of this I think we need a striker who can cover Stockley and come on to partner him if we are chasing a goal. Needs to be 6 foot plus and able to hold it up/win headers. 
    In which case (and I tend to agree), we need the wingers to be supporting him, it's important we get that energy and goal threat in & around him.
  • nimble little striker to get on the end of Stockley's knock ons

So when Stockley wins the ball in the air who picks up the pieces, it would be impossible for him to control a long punt up to him with his back to goal, bring it down and convert it. Don't get me wrong he may pull it off a couple of times but not enough to win us lots of games. 
  • edited August 2021
    kentred2 said:
    Goalkeeper 
    centre half
    left back
    winger
    creative cm or two
    goalscorer 
    Would agree with this, two midfielders. 

I have been extremely disappointed with our transfer activity to date if I am honest. Big fanfares and promises but so far I am very underwhelmed. I don’t expect us to spend millions but I don’t expect to see a bench with 5 players with little or no league one experience. 
  • edited August 2021
    5-6 ins needed definitely

Right side CB to cover Innis

Left Back - think this will be a PL Loan kid like Maatsen and JDS

Attacking Midfielder - think we lack a creator / goal threat from CM. 

2 wingers - one starting left winger and someone that can cover both flanks so we don't need to play Washington there

Striker - think we could struggle if we lost Stockley for any time , not convinced by Schwartz and Davison as options. 

Think the route one into Stockley could be used a bit less if we got some creativity around him. 
  • Get a decent LB in and we arguably have one of the best back 5s in the division.   Would like a CB too as I think relying on the colossal Innis to play every game is unrealistic unfortunately.  He would be a Championship mainstay if not for his unfortunate injury proneess.

Definitely need a Striker if Schwarz isn't going to feature because if Stockley becomes unavailable I would expect that we would revert to 4-4-2 and don't think, as good as he is, Washington would be in the target man role. 

With Gilbey and JCF set to return (albeit in a good while unfortunately for the latter) I don't think it would be a disaster if we don't sign in any MFs however for a serious promotion challenge the luxury of 2 additional MFs would be welcome one of them being left- sided and another being more creative.  Can't see this happening realistically.

Would focus on getting in a LB and a Striker to challenge the status quo up front in next few weeks and if budget and fortune permits a CB.  In fairytale land we'd also bring in a couple of MFs but being realistic I think we may get 2 or 3 max in the door.

• Our defense is very good for this level just not much depth, a left back who can get forward would be perfect, Gunter can cover LB and RB. Need a RCB just incase Innis shuts down. 

The midfield needs way more, I will take my blinkers off here and say none of them are up to much, Albie is still raw, Clare doesn't seem very creative just athletic, Dobson is a younger Pratley effectively. We need a Bannan/Fraser type who can make one killer pass that takes multiple players out of the game. 

Up front is genuinely quite poor, DJ has great footwork but his right foot is pretty poor and he doesn't seem like a consistent finisher to me, Stockley I highly doubt will get 20+, more of a 12-15 type who creates space for others, Washington can not play out wide at all, can't beat a man for toffee, just always tries to cut in or sprint down the line. 

Being honest 433/4231 just doesn't suit us at all, it only works when you have a number 9 who can link play and make runs like the snake, your wingers need to be able to put a ball in/beat a man and your 10 has to be a very intelligent player, Albie just isn't there yet and would be better off lying deeper imo. Gilbey is definitely not the answer either.

A lot of work to be done, way more than I thought actually. We will be hard to beat certainly but we are also going to struggle to open teams up. For perspective we could loan 2 of Ipswich's forward players and immediately have one of the best attacks in the league, the depth is truly abysmal.
  • I am keen that we should continue to focus on quality rather than quantity within the resources we have. We do need one more winger (preferably Kirk) and maybe on more winger/striker to add variety (maybe Kayden Jackson or Armando Dobra from Ipswich). I would prefer to invest in those areas than elsewhere.
    At LB I am more favourable to Purrington than most, but maybe one versatile first division defender to cover full-back and centre-back, just in case of injuries.
  • Jodi Jones at Coventry. Left sided full back/wing back. Returned from his third ACL injury but looks a decent player. Commentator on yesterday’s game said they were perhaps looking to loan him out. 
    They brought him on for Maatsen I doubt that they would loan him unless they sign someone .
  • Sponsored links:

LW
    LB
    RCB cover
    ST cover
    Another Wing Cover

The focus needs to be on creating and scoring chances, I don't think currently we have the players to do that. Need a goal-scoring midfielder and a winger capable of creating chances. 

Striker has been bumped up to the 4th most important now. 

If Stockley gets injured we've had it. 
  • LW x2
    RW
    ST a goalscorer
    LB more attacking and pacey 
    ACM
    CB back up
  • edited August 2021
    Looks to me that TS is now looking for permanent deals of players in their early twenties. Why? To take these players, as a squad up into the championship. Or, because they are most likely to make a profit when sold on. These players are investments, so I imagine loans will come in as a last resort. I can’t imagine we’ll be seeing a Glenn Murray type of signing! Still, we should be proud to see our young players go on to play for bigger clubs in the premier league...

i imagine we’ll sign 3 more players before the window. A young wide player and 2 loans-one defender, one centre forward. It’s going to be a long, hard season. Made worse by TS’s 5 year plan and NA’s prediction that we’ll be champions this year.
  • Really need a young attacking perm LB, a CB and a striker to challenge and be able to rest Stockley... Hopefully loans on top

LW
    LB
    RCB cover
    ST cover
    Another Wing Cover

One down, 6 to go. 
  • He's probably (definitely) got his sights set a little bit higher than league 1, but I'd see if Jeremy Sarmiento fancies a loan spell back at his former club. Predominantly a winger, he can also play in the number ten role. 

Playing senior first team football >>> U23 level.
  • He's probably (definitely) got his sights set a little bit higher than league 1, but I'd see if Jeremy Sarmiento fancies a loan spell back at his former club. Predominantly a winger, he can also play in the number ten role. 

Playing senior first team football >>> U23 level.
    I wondered that when he went there. I would guess they’ll want him to settle in first so he’s more likely to be available in January or near summer. They may also want him to go to the Championship and only drop down if that doesn’t work out.

Someone to keep an eye on.
  • Left back I'd love to see us go after Pickering from Crewe or Jacobson from Wycombe

We do need either a promising youngster who can play with his back to the goal or a clever older pro as cover for Stockley, this is a tough one, lots of competent number 9s in this division however can you justify poaching one to warm the bench or be competition and there aren't an abundance of older 9s just floating around seeking a gig on the bench in division 3. So a unknown loan might be the solution here, I dont watch enough under 23 premier league foot all to make a call. Connor Wickham is without a club and he always looked good against us but he is no longer a promising youngster and a long way off veteran status. One I'd love us to pick up is Alfie May, seen him scoring goals for fun at Chatham Town and I'm very proud for him having got where he has 

Madden from Fleetwood I think is class, along with most of their midfield especially Camps. Ogilvie at Gillingham is a good player too and has a lot more in his locker than that phenomenal goal he scored at the Valley last season but I think Pompey have got him. 

Really the left back position is Ben Purringtons to lose and with someone like Gunter in the squad who can cover right and left full back positions I doubt we will get a permanent new left back in and go swimming in the loan pond. 

As for midfield, I'm not over Cullen yet and wpudl spend every penny convincing him to return from Antwerpen to play in tier 3 for us but more likely, Callum Camps would excite me but I'm happy to keep faith in Albie who I think is just a goal or clean assist away from hitting his straps 

• Sorry to say Pickering's gone to Blackburn.
  • edited August 2021
    Goalkeeper
    Left back
    Right centre back on loan
    Attacking midfielder
    Winger
    Striker

This won’t happen though. No chance we will get in another 6, what we don’t get will be filled with the academy.

Personally think the only two who are close enough to breaking through would now be Elerwere (but should not be 4th choice and needs a full season in U23 football) and Clayden, who would be 4th or 5th choice winger for me right now.

Davison is not good enough back up for Stockley. There is nothing in his game that he’s very good at. Ghandour is nowhere near the standard required, nor is Roddy and Dempsey.

Vennings I have my doubts over, the best centre midfielder to come through next is Henry.

We produce good players in our academy but putting them in when they’re not at the level we need is no good for anyone.

People can think that’s harsh, that’s okay. I just don’t think we have anyone right now that I would feel comfortable starting 15-20 games this season and know they’d be good enough without any real worry.

We need a lot more on a similar quality level to Kirk if we are to challenge at the top end of the table.