Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Valley goes cashless.

Comments

• Rothko said:
    I always use cash, hate using my card because I never know how much I've actually spent.   

Also technically cannot refuse to accept due to in being legal tender. 
    Businesses can pick and choose what they accept, no legal reason to have to accept cash
    No business can refuse a sale based upon the "offer to treat" but cannot refuse cash to pay 
    If you’re a cashless place, as The Valley now is, then you can refuse cash. There’s been plenty of cafes and bars for years now in London which refuse cash. 
  • Guess who’s overseeing the smooth running of the cashless catering kiosks https://images.app.goo.gl/knmppnHuouCionnUA
  • from Which?

Are businesses legally obliged to take cash? We think it should be people’s prerogative to pay with cash, whatever their reason for doing so. But there is no legal obligation for a business to accept it. It’s the business owner’s right to decide what payment methods they want to accept. Not everyone is aware of this, with confusion stemming from the fact that cash is often described as ‘legal tender’. This doesn’t mean it’s your legal right to use it in a shop. In fact, the Bank of England says that legal tender has a ‘narrow technical meaning’ to do with paying debts and ‘has no real use in everyday life’. However, with millions of people still reliant on or keen to use cash, it makes sense for businesses to make every effort to accept it.

• Shops businesses cannot refuse to accept cash, they can try but the legal wranglings around discrimination make it nigh on impossible for them to reject. 

Granted a ticketed venue may stipulate this upon their t&cs upon purchase of a ticket but otherwise your free to pay for your goods with cash or card.
  • We ate in a pub in Milford last week and they had an issue with their connection and could only take cash. Luckily, we had enough on us (we normally hardly have any) but a lot of other people decided to eat elsewhere when they were told. Apparently there was cashpoint nearby but levied a charge.
  • T_C_E said:
    Guess who’s overseeing the smooth running of the cashless catering kiosks https://images.app.goo.gl/knmppnHuouCionnUA
    @Dazzler21
    Admin, please advise idiots guide to posting a gif. 🤷‍♂️
  • We ate in a pub in Milford last week and they had an issue with their connection and could only take cash. Luckily, we had enough on us (we normally hardly have any) but a lot of other people decided to eat elsewhere when they were told. Apparently there was cashpoint nearby but levied a charge.
    I was think about we are going to pay our brasses. Then I remembered they have a built in card swipe. 
    It happens and will happen at the valley at some point too. These places need to have a backup plan.

Think I've mentioned it before but me and my mates were at tobacco dock on the roof terrace on the hottest day of the year a couple of years ago. It was cashless and the card machines went down. No-one could get a drink for 45 minutes and the queues were ridiculous. We had cash in our pockets ready to spend but had to just wait without drinks sweating our bollocks off because they only accepted card. Absolute nightmare.
  • Sponsored links:

• Looks like I'll need to buy a coke spoon for Saturday.
  • edited August 2021
    Rothko said:
    I always use cash, hate using my card because I never know how much I've actually spent.   

Businesses can pick and choose what they accept, no legal reason to have to accept cash
    No business can refuse a sale based upon the "offer to treat" but cannot refuse cash to pay 
    That is not correct, the business only offers to treat, but they are not legally obliged to sell, ie if the item is incorrectly priced, or if they suspect the price ticket has been switched.

• MrWalker said:
    Looks like I'll need to buy a coke spoon for Saturday.
    Just stick it all up your nose in one go, saves all that messing about. 
  • Oh well looks like I’ll be buying my food and drink at the local eateries! That’s £20 the club will lose out on from me. Not knocking contactless, but you should have the choice, don’t have a problem anywhere else, but then I don’t go into London now!
  • No business has an obligation to take a form of payment it doesn’t want, years of working in payments has taught me this. The government could, if it so pleased place a legal obligation to accept cash, but it would be ignored, as it has in US states where the law has been brought in.

Cash handling for businesses is expensive, poses a security risk and is dirty, getting rid of it makes life easier.

• I always use cash, hate using my card because I never know how much I've actually spent.   

My best mate and I are exactly the same. Always take cash out at the train station at the start of any football match day. Have no idea how much I have spent without it. Didn’t do it for WBA and spent like 3x what I was planning to spend.  It’s a habit which I do not want to break.
    As much as i only use my phone as my wallet now and take no cards or cash out…

went to a cash only pub other day and after getting over it (going to the cash point via home), it was so much better knowing what i had spent and counting up the change at the end for a half pint (as didn't want to go to cash point)! 
  • Unless you're a 75 year old. Or unemployed. Or work cash in hand. Probably a long time coming for us, but top up cards like Oyster using a retail partner, local shops could be a route to keep everyone a bit happy. Seen it Germany years ago, works really well 
  • The curry house where I go for takeaways always insists you pay with cash even though they have a card machine. It’s crossed my mind there’s something dodgy going on.
  • The curry house where I go for takeaways always insists you pay with cash even though they have a card machine. It’s crossed my mind there’s something dodgy going on.
    My local chippy is cash only, my barbers is cash only, the list goes on. 
    Slowly that will change. 
  • Sponsored links:

As harsh as it seems, it will be adapt or die.

It’s only been a handful of times but I’ve walked away from places which say “we don’t take cards”
  • sam3110 said:
    Cash is dead.

Long live the contactless king!
    Really ? Go on the Bank of England website and look up notes in circulation. It goes up every year. 

• £20's and £50's use goes up in direct correlation with cocaine imports.
  • It's potentially a little dangerous saying no cash. At least 2-3 times over the past few years some of the machines haven't worked under the covered end, saying no cash they can't easily switch as they'll unlikely have a float and the punter might not either. I hope they've also sorted the tills out as neither till nor card machine showed the amount last time I paid by card (would normally pay by cash).

Cards still cost the retailer, so hope they haven't passed that on to the consumer...... and they better take Amex! Probably means I'll skip buying a programme, I sort of did out of habit so won't now.
  • Something I feel is worth mentioning regarding card payments in Crossbars....

When we last frequented the Fans' Bar on a regular basis, paper receipts were not issued.

It was a case of "If you want a receipt for payment, give us your email address & you'll be sent one ". 

I always felt this was NOT ideal. 

Surely you have every right to receive an instant receipt, detailing your purchases , in order to check that the correct amount has been debited to your account. 

Drinks' prices have to be & are shown on a card on the bar but when it's very busy ( usually pre ko) it's difficult to check the small print from a distance whilst others are queuing. 

Of course, the club doesn't run the catering etc these days but I feel this is an issue which should be taken up with them now that every purchase will be cashless. 
  • Cash won’t go away, we’re not as inclusive as the Swedish, who have gone completely cashless, but more and more will be electronic payment, open banking will be a real killer of cards and direct debit, hence why all the payments companies are all over that channel 

When we last frequented the Fans' Bar on a regular basis, paper receipts were not issued.

It was a case of "If you want a receipt for payment, give us your email address & you'll be sent one ". 

Surely you have every right to receive an instant receipt, detailing your purchases , in order to check that the correct amount has been debited to your account. 

Drinks' prices have to be & are shown on a card on the bar but when it's very busy ( usually pre ko) it's difficult to check the small print from a distance whilst others are queuing. 

Of course, the club doesn't run the catering etc these days but I feel this is an issue which should be taken up with them now that every purchase will be cashless. 
    They can't do that, only difference between contact less and PIN is the merchant receipt prints out first on the former - can still print a customer receipt. Of course, it's PIN for anything over £45 so if you're running a tab Jean I'll be happy to help you reach the magic figure 😉

They can't do that, only difference between contact less and PIN is the merchant receipt prints out first on the former - can still print a customer receipt. Of course, it's PIN for anything over £45 so if you're running a tab Jean I'll be happy to help you reach the magic figure 😉
    That's if we manage to get in on Saturday ! 

But I am unhappy re the receipt issue .

Something to add to the Fans' Forum agenda ? 
  • Rob7Lee said:
    It's potentially a little dangerous saying no cash. At least 2-3 times over the past few years some of the machines haven't worked under the covered end, saying no cash they can't easily switch as they'll unlikely have a float and the punter might not either. I hope they've also sorted the tills out as neither till nor card machine showed the amount last time I paid by card (would normally pay by cash).

Cards still cost the retailer, so hope they haven't passed that on to the consumer...... and they better take Amex! Probably means I'll skip buying a programme, I sort of did out of habit so won't now.
    Programme sellers take cash.