Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Athletic v Chef Wendy | Sat 7th Aug | 5:30PM KO | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Charlton Athletic v Sheffield Wednesday
Saturday 7th August 2021 ... 5:30pm Kick-Off
Referee: Will Finnie

Introduction
Three months ago the 2020/21 season ended on a slightly low note; Oxford United beating us to the last Play-Off spot on the narrowest margins: goal difference. It resulted in the Addicks being forced to once again watch another team being awarded the League trophy on the hallowed Valley turf – This Saturday marks the beginning of a brand new season; Sheffield Wednesday will be the visitors, what a MASSIVE way to start the season.

The fight for second place and a return to the Championship starts right here, right now…

Well provided you’re reading this at 5:30pm on Saturday, otherwise those words are a bit, you know, anticlimactic.

The Opposition
Name: Sheffield Wednesday | Manager: Darren Moore
Ground: Hillsborough
Previous Meeting: Sheffield Wednesday 1-0 Charlton Athletic

August is the time of year when ninety two league clubs can start anew, it doesn’t matter what transpired previously, and everyone gets a fresh start, with previous results and league positions consigned to the history books…

Sheffield Wednesday on the other hand potentially find themselves in a similar sort position to the Addicks last term in the sense that they’re under a transfer embargo, the difference on this occasion is the fact that the Owls can still bring in free transfers and loan players which means they have been able to strengthen ahead of the new season.

In terms of those players its worth firstly mentioning Right Back: Jack Hunt who returns to the club after a three year spell at Bristol City, whilst the pick of the loan signings so far has to be Goalkeeper: Bailey Peacock-Farrell… As understudy to Nick Pope at Burnley, it was always going to be difficult for Bailey to get first team action so it’s commendable that he’s preferred to drop to League One rather than pick up his wages. It’s also worth noting that he’ll be well aware of our very own Conor Washington; given the two are International team-mates for Northern Ireland.

Whilst its always worth having sympathy for any team (especially those with ownership troubles), it’s also quite an ironic first game of the season for both these teams, especially when you consider how the Championship season ended two years ago. Of course the Addicks must move on from that relegation season and put it behind us…

But facing the Sheffield Wednesday in League One, really does feel like a bit of justice at the very least.

Charlton Team News
Well it really feels as though Nigel Adkins comments on the final day of the season have potentially been taken slightly out of context, the Charlton Manager would mimic Jimmy Seed when we watched Hull’s celebrations by declaring that he wanted those scenes to be of Charlton celebrations come April next season.

Unfortunately it perhaps built up expectations of a squad overhaul that simply hasn’t happened. Whether that’s due to COVID or other matters, we’ll quite simply we’ll never know but on the basis of pre-season it does look as though we go into the season strong at least in the starting eleven, yet weak in backup, especially if we have another injury crisis like what we’ve seen these past two seasons.

For the most part the main outgoings have been replaced by incomings, albeit apart from Chuks Aneke (although he and Jayden Stockley rarely started up front together) – George Dobson and Craig MacGillivray the newest additions to the Charlton ranks, whilst Sean Clare makes a return to the team having spent time at the Academy. Of course pre-season always allows the current youngsters an opportunity to impress and force their way into the Managers plans, could it be the turn of Deji Elewere, Charles Clayden and Hady Ghandour this time around?

Be prepared for some celebrations in a corner of the Middle East if the latter does achieve success, given his goal against Reading.

MacGillivray
Matthews – Inniss – Famewo – Gunter
Clare – Dobson
Morgan
Jaiyesimi – Stockley – Washington

Substitutes Bench: Harness – Pearce – Elewere – Watson – Clayden – Davison – Ghandour
Prediction
Oh the joys of trying to predict the first game of the season

If anyone attempts (and wins) a large betting accumulator this Saturday it’ll be through sheer luck rather than judgement, given the fact that none of us have any idea how any teams will perform or whether any squad builds have even been completed as yet – Looking at the matchups across the Division and its probably one of two games where the winner can set a serious benchmark for their rivals, even a defeat can’t possibly predict how the next few months will go.

Comments

• Options
    2-0 Charlton 
  • Options
    probably a difficult start to the season but it'll show us all how good we are and how well the management have done in bringing in new players. Be good to see a proper left back in the side however and how long will Gilbey spend in isolation ?
    Terrific preview as ever FA .. Been looking forward to this day for months, fans back in the Valley, good new players, tough opposition, get in there !!!

CAFC 2 v Owls of Sheffield 1
  • Options
    and of course there will be the official renaming of the East Stand in honour of Lord Llewellyn .. how well deserved that is .. I regret that I won't be there  :'(
  • Options
    I am not sure both Pearce and Deji will be on the bench, maybe Roddy or Barker to provide full back cover?

I think Gomes will sign something and be on the bench probably in place of Ghandour. 

No idea what team Wednesday will field they still have some players they need to shift, they also have players that might not be risked pending departure. 

The occasion is more of a worry to me than the massive, we have a history of not turning up. 

But it's the real start of a new era.  3-0 the addicks. 

• Options
    edited August 2021
    2-1 win. 

Yes we concede but bag our first three points without picking up any injuries.

Stockley & Jaiyesimi open their accounts. 

• Options
    I'm not optimistic about this one. 0-1.
  • Options
    1-2  DJ nets for us but a tougher start than many are expecting
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    I think this will be an open game and possibly quite a few goals. 
    I’m going 3-2 to Charlton (Stockley , Washington & Innis) 
  • Options
    Thanks for the preview @ForeverAddickted Not a single 'would' in sight so on that basis, expect the unexpected this Saturday. 5-0 to us, with Matthews bagging a hat-trick.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    2-1 win. 

Our midfield 3 will be intresting, Clare and Morgan played the other way round to yours against Palace.  It was a flat 3 against Fulham with Morgan on the left and Clare on the right. 
  • Options
    1 - 1 
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    interesting that our supposed/presumed strongest starting Xl contains only three new boys, whereas some of our perceived main rivals, Wigan, Pompey, Owls, Tractor Boys etc. have brought in job lots of new players who may well take time to settle in .. we hope
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    2-1 win. 

Our midfield 3 will be intresting, Clare and Morgan played the other way round to yours against Palace.  It was a flat 3 against Fulham with Morgan on the left and Clare on the right. 
    Yeah I think they'll likely rotate throughout. 
  • Options
    Gunter at LB is an accident waiting to happen. Gunter at RB often is. 

1-1
  • Options
    If it is a special event say, the owner playing a specially written ditty in front of a Sky audience, we WILL fuck up.  1-2 to the Norvern cheating scum.
  • Options
    Valley11 said:

1-1
    this - the weak link in the side.

Decent first XI, squad is pretty paper thin and needs bulking out.

Would take a draw now
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Valley11 said:

1-1
    this - the weak link in the side.

Decent first XI, squad is pretty paper thin and needs bulking out.

Would take a draw now
    We already have a draw because England didn't win the euros...... 
  • Options
    Unless we bring a couple in, I can’t see us causing Sheffield Wednesday too many problems. 

1-1
  • Options
    I’m unable to attend so no doubt we will win 5-0 and then not win again at home all season. 
  • Options
    One of my mates is doing the centre circle package - trying to get him to add me on :lol:

• Options
    edited August 2021
    That is the most right footed eleven we have had since the start of 2009/10.

Fanewo is the only 'leftie' in the team and doesn't take corners or set plays although Clayden and Pearce are on the bench.I am concerned that we won't be able to mix it up a bit. 

Gunter covering Left Back makes this problem more acute although to be fair he has played for Wales in this position in the last 12 months and been picked for the land of our fathers over left footed players. I also noted on Saturday he did deliver a couple of left footed crosses into the box. 

For this reason I hope we do give Gomes a deal maybe until January unless we have someone else in mind. Ideally I would like a couple in the squad because last season we had Doughty, JFC, Maddison  and Maatsen.

If we accept that Clayden replaces Doughty. That still leaves us three short. There was a reason that Bowyer tried to sign Shane Ferguson and Josh Morris on deadline day last January. 

Left footed players are comparitively rare.

Yesterday someone posted a made up rumour about Burton's Joe Powell. He would certainly have ticked the left.footed box although I have no memory of him. 
  • Options
    We're not even favourites, but I think we will win 2-0
  • Options
    1-0 to Wednesday. Our defence still had the annoying habit of going to sleep and allowing the opposistion to score an easy goal.
  • Options
    Valley11 said:

1-1
    I know it's far from his natural position, and he can be pedestrian at times at RB, but he did OK in the Euros at LB didn't he, and wasn't that against Portugal? Do Sheff have a particularly tricky or pacey RW? 

That said, without a doubt our Left side is substantially weaker than our right side - I like Washington but he's not really a winger, and he's worse on the LW as he's so right-footed! 
  • Options
    Looking forward to a couple of months of good results before the injury crisis hits!