Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

LONDON UNDERGROUND GHOST STATIONS

This may well have cropped up before on CL .. however, given our collective devotion (well some of us) to things railway, this article will be of interest (I hope)

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/tunnel-into-the-past-from-british-museum-to-down-street-the-fascinating-london-underground-map-that-shows-every-single-abandoned-ghost-station/ar-AAAvq5L?ocid=spartandhp

Comments

• Done quite a bit of work on these.
    There is a direct link from Down St to the RAF HQ that overlooks Green Park.
    If you ever travel from Green Park to Hyde Park Corner on the pic line, you can vaguely make out the station whilst passing through.
  • edited September 2018
    This is quite a good link to underground stations that have been renamed.
  • Yesterday (Channel 26) tonight (Monday).
    8pm, Secrets of the London Underground. 
  • Done quite a bit of work on these. There is a direct link from Down St to the RAF HQ that overlooks Green Park. If you ever travel from Green Park to Hyde Park Corner on the pic line, you can vaguely make out the station whilst passing through.
    Only just seen this. It was a link to the Naval & Military Club. Otherwise known as the In and Out club because the words appeared by the gates.

The facade is still there but the building behind has been demolished.
  • Sounds interesting. I've done tours of Charing Cross and Aldwych which were great.
  • pity the original article is no longer available .. does anyone know of another source ?
  • http://www.abandonedstations.org.uk/ has quite a lot on the disused bits of london underground

https://www.subbrit.org.uk/categories/underground-railways-and-metros/ also has quite a lot (and some outside the UK) and all manner of other things unferground

• I watched a programme about stations with ghosts once.

One station was Bethnal Green where the ghost was supposed to haunt the supervisor's office. Lots of pictures of the room appeared in the show.

Unfortunately, they showed the new office which was round the corner from the old (haunted?) office.
  • Sponsored links:

• Ghost tunnels around New Cross, which were once going to be part of the Jubilee Line
  • edited July 2021
    Crusty54 said:
    I watched a programme about stations with ghosts once.

One station was Bethnal Green where the ghost was supposed to haunt the supervisor's office. Lots of pictures of the room appeared in the show.

Unfortunately, they showed the new office which was round the corner from the old (haunted?) office.
    Inspectre?

Oh no.  Beaten by DaveMehmet three years ago.
  • The old access to Euston is interesting with posters dating from the 1960s. The old lift shafts are still there. 

The same is true of the old ramp at Embankment (originally Charing Cross). It leads up to a former substation for the trams which ran along the embankment. Also said to be haunted. 

Many of the disused parts of stations are used to house plant and machinery. 
    Worth watching for Ms Holloway alone!
  • On a similar theme, some members on this forum may have noticed that the Kingsway Tram Subway is holding 'open days' during the next few weeks. Although you can still look down the northern ramp at Southampton Row, the rest of the subway is usually out of bounds. Sadly, mobility and health issues rule out a visit on my behalf, also the price of a ticket for a guided tour is just short of the £50 mark! I believe the organisers may be the LT Museum in Covent Garden.

There is a Charlton connection. When crowds at The Valley topped the 40K level, the line of trams waiting in Woolwich Road for homeward bound spectators would normally include a couple of 'specials' which did the run through the subway to Highgate or Manor House. Probably the fare was something like eightpence (3p). We know that a number of supporters did travel from North London and used the trams, because they were cheaper than buses and there was no tube station near the ground.
    I managed to catch up with this - love this sort of stuff. Interesting programme.
  • There used to be a website called guerrilla exploring which is offline now for whatever reason. It was about urban explorers posting their experiences of running through the tube network at night and taking photos of disused stations. Incredibly dangerous, incredibly illegal, but absolutely fascinating to read.

They would end up in parts of the tube which official tours cannot get to, such as the British Museum tube station which shut in the late 20s, and the old Aldgate East station. They even managed to get to the old Embankment loop.