Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

A petition to ban racists from football.

Comments

• Dont often sign petitions as think they're a waste of time

But agree with that one
  • signed
  • Done. Glad to see it's already near 1m signatures
  • Before I sign.
    Is this a petition to ban all racists or just the ones we want banned.
    Does this petition want players banned if they use racist language to another player?

• I've signed it, however given that it seems easy for people to get into grounds without tickets, perhaps we need to petition for greater security on the entry into stadia, otherwise banning people will be futile. 
    Have you ever seen someone sneak into the Valley? Wembley the other night was atrocious, but with that many people I can understand why security failed. 
  • iainment said:
    clb74 said:
    Before I sign.
    Is this a petition to ban all racists or just the ones we want banned.
    Does this petition want players banned if they use racist language to another player?

Read the petition. Personally I’d ban both.
    When I see the football authorities and football clubs take racism seriously in the game , I will then sign that petition.
  • Sponsored links:

• I’ve not been following things too closely so looking to be educated as it’s the number one topic on the news. Have their been any reports at all of racist abuse inside the stadiums at any UK hosted game this championship?

Social media is clearly the pinch point problem with this and all the headlines are on the post game racist abuse. Has anything been said of the extent of it? I know one lad from Manchester has been outed, but are we talking about a very small handful of posts that have generated a huge amount of noise, or has it been far more widespread than that (in the hundreds)? 

One good thing maybe is that it appears it is the vast minority who unfortunately have a magnified voice with twitter and because their postings are so visceral it causes a huge reaction in a way that some neanderthal grunting something in a pub/ ground wouldn't have the same impact or reach.

I wonder if there are even outside elements ie overseas sponsored trolls playing divide and conquer in cyberspace in addition to the genuine home grown knuckle draggers that  sadly do clearly still exist.
    The backlash calling this out and condemning it in the past 48hours has been reassuring and I hope the country takes comfort from that and that it appears to be the vast vast majority of people calling the abuse out as abhorrent and that if you are someone churning out this sort of stuff you are in the vast minority and an outlier in modern England.

Not sure lifetime bans for people is necessarily the way forward.  Agree with the sentiment but by keeping stadiums "racist free" for 90 minutes doesn't solve the underlying issue in society and if anything it will just marginalise people further and possibly drive them to further extremes.

Think it needs a bit more finesse in terms of educating people.   I imagine those whose initial reaction to missed penalties is to hurl racist abuse have a lot of self esteem issues/ warped views of the world and merely banning them from football games isn't going to solve the underlying problem which needs addressing.

Not sure what the answer is but it probably needs to involve more than just bans which might address a symptom but won't solve the underlying problem.
  • I’ve not been following things too closely so looking to be educated as it’s the number one topic on the news. Have their been any reports at all of racist abuse inside the stadiums at any UK hosted game this championship?

Social media is clearly the pinch point problem with this and all the headlines are on the post game racist abuse. Has anything been said of the extent of it? I know one lad from Manchester has been outed, but are we talking about a very small handful of posts that have generated a huge amount of noise, or has it been far more widespread than that (in the hundreds)? 
    I think even if it is a small number acting now has more chance of pushing this out than waiting for it to get to the levels there used to be in stadia.

Until the law changed about racist chanting at football and individuals could be charged some fans felt able to express racism with no fear of anything happening to them. 
  • The only trouble with a lifetime ban is that it misses the point on education. Isn't it more important to make the people see the error of their ways. The abuse on social media could even be from people who never go to games!
    The other question is, is it current racial abuse or will there be sanctions about what somebody said 10 years ago (which at the time may or may not have been considered racist). 
    Don't get me wrong racial abuse is vile and we need to look at ways to get it out of society, but need to be careful. 
  • edited July 2021
    Always doubt the value and genuine intentions of these petitions that pop up following any big news story. Actions speak louder than petitions but I hope it drives action and works.

Also concerned this is, as usual, being seen as a football fans issue. Where as I think it’s a social issue that just attaches itself to football as football is so big! I’d be staggered if any of those guilty even attend football grounds.

Also hope it works in all directions. I’m sure people have seen the vile racist physical attack by a group of black men on a white England football fan (he had the top on) this week. Those (physical attacks - in any direction) would be more of an immediate concern to me than words on the internet but both need confronting with purpose.

On a wider point, it also frustrates me when certain people (media/FA etc) take the moral high ground on these issues but ignore the fact we’re competing in and therefore endorsing a WC in Qatar and what that actually says about us and all of football.
  • redman said:
    The only trouble with a lifetime ban is that it misses the point on education. Isn't it more important to make the people see the error of their ways. The abuse on social media could even be from people who never go to games!
    The other question is, is it current racial abuse or will there be sanctions about what somebody said 10 years ago (which at the time may or may not have been considered racist). 
    Don't get me wrong racial abuse is vile and we need to look at ways to get it out of society, but need to be careful. 
    If it's taken you ten years to decide whether or not your tweet is racist, and you've decided that, on balance it's not, it probably says enough about you these days. 
  • Signed and hope it has a positive impact whatever that may be, individuals looking at themselves and changing behaviour or lifetime bans…
  • Sponsored links:

• Signed.  Although the stated aim of life bans may be unachievable (or in the case of racists who are not match attenders, inappropriate), if sufficient number do sign it, that in itself will send a message that the status quo with the way social media handle racism, sexism, bullying, etc., etc. is simply not good enough.

Of course racism is a wider issue than just football.
    And it is a sad & disgusting fact of everyday life as well as on social media.
    But it is down to each one of us to make sure we do what we can to clean our own back yard.

Every marathon begins with a single step, and since there seems a mood in official circles to listen to fans at the moment, let's make sure our voice is heard on this as well.
  • Signed 
  • N01R4M said:
    Signed.  Although the stated aim of life bans may be unachievable (or in the case of racists who are not match attenders, inappropriate), if sufficient number do sign it, that in itself will send a message that the status quo with the way social media handle racism, sexism, bullying, etc., etc. is simply not good enough.
    The bans should still be put in place imho. 
  • Have signed. Currently there are no consequences for these poisonous little turds.
    Even if they dont go to football, a huge number of signatures at least sends a message that they are in a tiny minority, and shows support for the victims. It may also encourage supporters in grounds to call out racist behaviour more readily, knowing they are in the majority.
    I doubt the petition will have any material legal effect, but it serves to make a decent point and redresses the balance in some small way

• Obviously I want all people sending out such messages to be severely punished, but we've got no idea who actually sent the messages

How many tweets were there?
    Were they at the game (probably unlikely)
    Do they actually go to matches?
    Were they underage (no excuse of course, but has an effect on legal action)?
    How many were sent by real people from personal accounts, and how many were sent by spam accounts? Or from  overseas (e.g. from people who might have bet on England)?

• MrLargo said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Done. Sick of it for years now. It's time we perma-ban anyone found guilty of racism whether on social media towards players or in the stands at grounds. 
    I've signed the petition as I agree with the sentiment, although it seems a bit futile. The stuff in the stadiums is mostly isolated incidents, and they do seem to get dealt with when the perpetrators are identified - I'm thinking of the Chelsea fan who abused Raheem Sterling a couple of years ago as one example. Whilst one incident is one too many, our football stadiums are okay these days, and you are far less likely to hear racism in an English stadium than in most other European countries.

Obviously the booing of players taking the knee has brought a different dimension to this issue, and possibly a bit more difficult to take action against that sort of stuff. 

The abuse we saw after Sunday, the abuse that Ian Wright received from a teenage Irish keyboard warrior, the abuse that Wilfred Zaha received from a Villa fan, and the abuse that most black players are receiving on a regular basis - that is all taking place on social media. I'd be shocked if anyone in the stadium was responsible for what Saka, Rashford and Sancho received, and I suspect the vast majority of perpetrators aren't regular match attendees. What's the point in banning someone from something that they don't actually do?

Social media is where action needs to be taken - that Twitter can suspend the account of the President of the United States, but doesn't seem able to just forward to the police the name, address, IP address, and contact details of people that use vile racial slurs from the safety of their bedroom, that is where the real problem is.

Also a bit fed up with this being labelled almost solely as a "football problem". It's a social problem. These people aren't just racists for 90 minutes a week, it's 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
    The major difference if that Trump's tweets came from a confirmed account, it was 100% known who sent them, and the whole point was that they were sent under his actual name. If they decided to ban him, it was a 5 minute job.
  • Rashford had "at least 70" racist messages after the Europa final. One of them was from a Maths teacher.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!