Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

England's Massive Achievement

Well done to the England management team and the players.

First final since 1966 and to come that close is something to be proud of. 

World cup semi, then Euro final. 

I'm proud of them all. 

Comments

• cfgs said:
    Semi finalist, then losing finalist and so in Qatar we will obviously be winners.
    Would prefer a World Cup over the Euros anyway
  • Sponsored links:

• 18 months until Qatar and every single one of these players will still be playing at a high level. 

Would keep the group together as it is and keep the consistency into the World Cup. Can't see any players getting into this 26 other than maybe Greenwood or Alexander-Arnold. 

Use the games for the next 18 months to figure out a decent formation and settled first XI that can all play off each other and understand the style of play. 
  • Dazzler21 said:
    18 months until Qatar and every single one of these players will still be playing at a high level. 

Would keep the group together as it is and keep the consistency into the World Cup. Can't see any players getting into this 26 other than maybe Greenwood or Alexander-Arnold. 

Use the games for the next 18 months to figure out a decent formation and settled first XI that can all play off each other and understand the style of play. 

Gomez too obvs 😉
    Oh yeah of course. Probably will end up being the 3rd CB instead of Walker who is 31 now. 
  • Bloody hope so Dazzler!! - Shame for Joe that he's won both the Premier League and Champions League

Yet hasnt once gone to a Major Tournament
  • In a manner of speaking, football did come home.
  • Sponsored links:

• France and Portugal both lost home euro finals and went on to put that right. Here's hoping England and this squad can do the same 
  • It was a wonderful tournament....the best highlights for me were Spain v Italy, England v Germany, France v Switzerland. British Open, rest of Tour De France and Olympics to look forward to...and the season starts Aug 8th....great summer for sport
  • Fumbluff said:
    Tomorrow even the divs will realise we did well and lost on a lottery
    Except the person that lol’d this!!
  • 18 months until Qatar and every single one of these players will still be playing at a high level. 

Gomez? Or am I wearing my Charlton tinted glasses?
  • SE7toSG3 said:
    We took the next step, that is to reach a final.

We have a great set of players, and, despite the understandable post match scramble to find blame, I believe one who are well coached, managed, and have the potential to go one better next time out. 

Support wise, the country came together, it crossed communities in a way we haven't seen so clearly in previous tournaments, this was an England team for today's England, a country I am very proud to be part of. 

Most importantly, on the playing side, I believe we have promoted ourselves from competing with good sides like Croatia & the Czech Republic, to competing with the top sides like Italy and Germany. We have grown from a potential QF team to a potential Final team and I believe that will continue for the next 2-3 tournaments, there are untold nations across the globe that just wont ever get to see their team achieve that. 

Waking today, gutted, deflated, what if's floating about in the head every few minutes, it might not make immediate sense but I think England, on and off the field, have made huge strides this past few weeks, as mentioned by @KiwiValley in a sense 'Football has come home'.  

Well said 
  • edited July 2021
    18 months until Qatar and every single one of these players will still be playing at a high level. 

Gomez? Or am I wearing my Charlton tinted glasses?
    If Joe can stay fit consistently then he definitely goes . There's always a Bellingham type player that comes from absolutely nowhere too. 

Think without his injury Nick Pope would have been there too , think there's an interesting battle for the keepers shirt to come.
  • I'm going to go against the majority here and say that the only negative is Southgate. A WC semi and Euro final will make him untouchable, yet I believe that these heights were reached because of the fantastic squad he has at his disposal and hampered only by his negative style of football. A fantastic start to last nights match before he had us just sitting back and trying desperately to hang on. Italy are not a high pressing team, yet they kept us pinned in our own box for all of the second half and extra time. I'd rather see us lose 3-2 and be going for the win, but instead he turned the greatest England game of my lifetime into a tense bore fest, where is was so evident from the HT break that plan A was to desperately try to hold on to the single goal lead and once they equalized, we were playing for penalties from that moment onwards. Then when it's looking clear that penalties were going to happen, he then takes off his most experienced players (Henderson & Walker) to replace them with kids at the very death, giving them no time to get a feel for the game and settle down. I really feel for the players who missed those pens, espcially Saka, who has been tremendous this tournament. Yes, he probably volunteered to take a kick, but Southgate shouldn't have let him take on that burden. All through the build-up to this tournament, I've heard so many managers and ex pros saying how we need to build our play around Grealish and how key he will be, yet GS just seemed reluctant to play him and probably only did so because of so many calls for him to be included, rather than what he wanted.
    Yes, over the last 2 tournaments he's made us hard to beat, but the cost of it is he has sacrificed what is probably the best attacking group of players of our lifetimes.