Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

England v Italy - THE FINAL - Match Thread

Not if I’m honest, a title I thought I’d be typing a month ago.

My doubts about us defensively have been unfounded, as have my doubts about the fitness of Maguire and Henderson, the form of Sterling and Southgate’s reliance on his favourites. I’ve been wrong on all of them and I suspect many others have as well.

But Italy have also been impressive and won’t be intimidated by a big game at Wembley.

Can we find one more result?

Could it really be coming home?

Comments

• Come on England!
  • edited July 2021
    Going to be tough. Reckon it will settled by either one goal only or penalties.

Feel very calm at the moment, imagine tomorrow I’ll be laying a brick.

Seen Charlton win at Wembley twice, no reason England can’t do the business tomorrow.

My Dad and Grandad were there for the 1966 final, so a family tradition continues.
  • All a bit surreal.
  • edited July 2021
    I can see (or is it hope?) Italy taking a cautious approach to this game. 

I think their best chance of beating us involves getting their best attacking players like Insigne and Chiesa running at the back four.

A tense defensive battle suits a Southgate team down to the ground and I can see it going 1-0 either way.
  • I can’t quite believe after (in my case) 41 years of living and watching English football hurt. 

We are watching us run out in the final. Pictures that will be viewed back for generations to come.

I can’t help myself but think what the country will be like if we won tomorrow.

People pouring out onto the streets. Car horns going off, total pandemonium everywhere.

I suspect it will be total bedlam and for the first time since 1998 I also suspect I will be in floods of tears 
  • Madness this!

I have a sneaky feeling Henderson may start.
  • Sponsored links:

• Still doesn't feel real, no nerves at the moment, felt way more in the build up to Germany but I'm sure it'll all kick in tomorrow. 
  • Philips to man mark Jorginho.

What ever happens today its been brilliant hasn't it?

This team won't peek until Germany 24.

If we do lose I hope the gutter press, and our fair share of idiots generally, don't make it their mission to destroy who ever is deemed to have "let their country down".  None of them deserve it.

Any way we won't lose, it will be all songs in the street, it will be complete.

Arise Sir Gareth.  
  • Typical British summer weather for the final. I'm taking that as a good omen.
  • Madness this!

Who do you leave out though? 
  • Nerves have kicked in early for this one, coupled with excited anticipation! Its been 55 long bloody years since I last saw England win a major trophy and now aged 66 its time to see it again at the same place.......Wembley!
    Tough, tough game, but I have to believe.. 2-0 England...........PLEASE!
  • Sponsored links:

• Madness this!

Who do you leave out though? 
     No idea. But he'll want experience all over the pitch to my mind, and our midfield is lacking in that department
  • Has to be an unchanged team I think and trust ourselves. Biggest threat from them is Insigne cutting inside from the left and Barella and Chiesa on the other side. We’re good enough to win it, let’s hope we do. 
  • Has to be an unchanged team I think and trust ourselves. Biggest threat from them is Insigne cutting inside from the left and Barella and Chiesa on the other side. We’re good enough to win it, let’s hope we do. 
    I agree. The one that bothers me is Veratti. He makes them tick.  Anyway Southgate will have a plan. 
  • England certainly have a chance and home advantage is big but what I’ve seen of Italy so far they look a grade above where England are. Don’t think it will be a big score but I take Italy to win 2 - 0
  • I am as sick as a dog today.
    I will be totally unreasonable by tomorrow.

C’mon England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 
  • If Kane drops deep and we can create moments of isolation between Bonucci and Chiellini Vs Sterling and Saka... They should rinse them. 
  • Italy was my nap for the final because they had the squad with the most nous, dark arts, and strong in defence, midfield and attack.  BUT they haven't won the Euro's since 68 But they have won the WC 4 times!

Football is about the here and now and developing a can do, can win attitude with amnesia over the past. 

Less pressure for the Manager in that he can't be a failure now he has beaten Germany in a tight game, (cheers Thomas Muller,) cruised home against Ukraine and beat the underated Danes.

This England squad is 50% better than the squad that reached the semi final in the WC.  Kane, Sterling, Stones, Walker, Trippier have so much more experience. 

We will continue to need the rub of the green But VAR would have disallowed Hurst's "goal" from 66.

Our future is bright with Foden, Mount, Bellingham, Sancho, Rice etc under Southgate who is the dream appointment of the FA. 

It is a 50/50 match as it's Wembley. Gareth showed by subbing Jack that he has a ruthless streak and he calls the shots.

Can nice guys be winners ?  

Sir Gareth Southgate and Sir Chris Powell;
    that would make my knight.
  • I’ll try and keep reasonably sober today so that I can enjoy the match tomorrow.