Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Bird, as in avian, recognition.

Just saw this in the garden. I’m usually pretty good at bird recognition, but I’ve no idea what this is. Anybody know?

Comments

• edited June 2021
    hazy picture but could be a Jay?

Scrub that, on second look don't think it is. 
  • edited June 2021
    It's a red legged partridge. 100%

Edit: completely wrong. Second picture shows it's a green woodpecker
  • Green woodpecker?
  • Here’s another shot. In flight, it had a pale yellow rump. 

• Not particularly clear - maybe a woodpecker?

Lesser spotted woodpecker  London Wildlife Trust

• Daddy_Pig said:
    It's a red legged partridge. 100%
    where's it's pear tree then?
  • Green woodpecker?
    Beat me to it and I had 2 attempts
  • edited June 2021
    It didn’t look green but a bird recognition app says it is indeed a green woodpecker. 

• Knew it was a green woodpecker from 0.5 seconds looking at the first pic :p
  • Sponsored links:

• That’s a Norwegian Blue that is.

Green Woodpecker 
  • That’s a Norwegian Blue that is.

Beautiful plumage.
  • Absolutely a Green Woodpecker from how it holds itself (poise).
  • Wilma said:
    That's a cracking tool. 

We've got a couple of bird feeders in the garden and as I've been working from home for the past year or so I'm getting quite good at identifying birds and their songs/calls.

As well as the standard sparrows, blackbirds, starlings, robins, wood pigeons, blue tits, great tits, magpies, crows, etc, we've recently started getting visited by a pair of great spotted woodpeckers, a goldfinch, a wren, dozens of parakeets and, thanks to that link what I now know was a chiffchaff! 

The older I get the more I feel like I'm turning into Bill Oddie.
  • edited June 2021
    PS. Great Tits are my favourite. Had a lovely pair hanging off it the other day.
    :-)

Are Great Tits In Decline or Endangered - Garden Bird Feeder

(Not my picture)
  • Definately a norwegian blue. It only looks green because it's pining for the fjords.

• Definitely a bald eagle. 100%, Nigel.

Charlton Athletic Fan Found Guilty of Attacking Crystal Palace39s Eagle  Mascot  Bleacher Report  Latest News Videos and Highlights
  • Did you take the photo on a potato?

at a guess it looks Woodpeckery….when in flight did it swoop up and down?  Distinctive flight pattern on woodpeckers
  • Green Woodpeckers are ground feeders. The bird in that picture is definitely a green woodpecker. The have very bright red cap plumage. 
  • Sponsored links:

• edited July 2021
    Swisdom said:
    Did you take the photo on a potato?

at a guess it looks Woodpeckery….when in flight did it swoop up and down?  Distinctive flight pattern on woodpeckers
    Green Woodpeckers are ground feeders. The bird in that picture is definitely a green woodpecker. The have very bright red cap plumage. 
    No, I was on the floorboards when I took the picture.

It didn't swoop up and down, it flew straight when it went from the lawn into a tree.

It was feeding on the ground which threw me somewhat, if it had been bashing its head against a tree I'd have said woodpecker straight away.

Its plumage was very dull, not bright at all.  A family member suggested it's a female because of that.
  • Green Woodpecker. Not the brightest of plumage but I’m pretty confident that it’s the bird in the photo.

• Green Woodpecker. Not the brightest of plumage but I’m pretty confident that it’s the bird in the photo.

we have one of these come into our garden regularly - eats all the ants/grubs etc in the grass.
  • Can someone set another challenge please
  • I know what it is, but if it's a challenge you want.

• Full marks to AA...not 
  • Stig said:
    I know what it is, but if it's a challenge you want.

A Fulmar?
  • looks like a Fulmar to me.

• You're both wrong, this is a Fulmar.