Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Craig MacGillivray signs from Pompey - 2 year deal

edited June 2021 in General Charlton
According to the BBC South reporter

#Pompey player of the year Craig MacGillivray has passed his medical and signed for Charlton Athletic #cafc

Comments

• @Addicks59 creeps closer to his first green on the list. 
  • On a serious note, do any fans remember him from watching Pompey or our games against them? 
  • Small shame that our two incomings have been to replace two recents outgoings rather than bolsting the squad.

Always found it strange when he went to Portsmouth from Shrewsbury as he was the latter's No.2 in their Play-Off campaign (understandably behind Dean Henderson), so wasnt exactly a standout player from that team - Must have something about him though to have been the Pompey POTY last season though... Good luck to him.
  • I see he was pompeys no1, why didnt they want to keep him? Tout of contract and turned down a new offer?
  • According to my Pompey mate he is a good shot, stopper, not so good on crosses and distribution not great. 
    Scottish 28, 6'2 with 112 appearances for Pompey.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Craig_MacGillivray_(footballer)
  • We obviously have a shortlist to replace players who have left it late to sign a contract so are not too exposed in that area. In terms of our desirables, I'd imagine we are playing the Option A, B, C, D strategy which is no real secret. 
  • edited June 2021
  • Sponsored links:

• edited June 2021
  • Be happy with this.
  • Dazzler21 said:
    Addicks59 said:
    He signed yesterday another in building today CH tucker my quess or the lad from Norwich. 
    Is that Jack Tucker? Won't list it as he is a guess.
    Dazzler21 said:
    So for me we still need:

First Teamers needed:
    LCB
    CM
    LM
    RM
    FW

Sub/back up:
    RB
    LB
    RCB
    LCB
    LM
    RM

won't be bothered too much if some of the back ups are from the U23's
    Just using Daz as an example, but can we keep the general rumours posts to the general rumours thread, and then posts about a specific player on the specific player threads once they’re created please. Cheers all
  • Hope we're good enough this season that we never need to talk about him on here again

Good to get the ball rolling with signings. Few more this week please!
  • Small shame that our two incomings have been to replace two recents outgoings rather than bolsting the squad.

Always found it strange when he went to Portsmouth from Shrewsbury as he was the latter's No.2 in their Play-Off campaign (understandably behind Dean Henderson), so wasnt exactly a standout player from that team - Must have something about him though to have been the Pompey POTY last season though... Good luck to him.
    You have to start somewhere and I believe that we have replaced both players with better quality.
  • He’s also not too old to still improve and learn. Keepers are at their best from his age upwards generally. Sounds promising to me. Could be the sort of player to stay with us on our TS journey.
  • Sponsored links:

• Very pleased with this, if true.  He had a great record last year with clean sheets and Pompey fans do rate him (bar the usual sour grapes from some as a player leaves). I suppose it's too much to ask for a goalkeeper at this level to have decent distribution, which he would appear to have in common with Ben from a couple of the posts above.  

We're going to need another GK though in order to let AMB get his loan, but I also wouldn't have minded giving him the main spot here.  
  • Dont think we will miss Amos,his best attribute was his commandment of the area,very good at catching the ball from set pieces.Other than that,yes some good stops,most of his clean sheets where down to Innis and Famewo not giving the opposition the chance to shoot.It seemed at one stage every shot over 20 yards went in.
  • Is he the first player to play for both Charlton and Harrogate Railways Athletics?

My ex HRA mate suggested Matt Heath but it's not a name I know, did he play for our youth sides? 
  • Pompey contact tells me he is v good keeper but they couldn't afford to meet his wage demands. Same contact claims we offered Stockley £1.5K pw more than them plus a £200K signing on fee to get him.
    I get the impression that they're really struggling financially at the moment rather than us paying over the odds.

Didn't they say right at the end of the season that they'd be operating under a reduced budget this year? 
  • A few youtube vids (that ex Charlton scouting network). He seems less "mechanical"and assured a goalie than Amos but more instinctive. 
  • Sounds a promising signing.

All we need to do now is change our name to Charlton Railways Athletic and we'll be sorted, choo choo.